Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 23:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 04:59 
Site Admin

New enforcement cameras are expected to receive type approval.

Website for Sensys here
"Traffex Exhibition Birmingham, 21-23 April 2009
SENSYS® will be present at the Traffex Exhibition in Birmingham. It is an international event for the traffic management, road safety and transportation industry. Now in its 24th Edition, Traffex will feature more exhibitors and visitor attractions than ever before.

In a single visit you will be able to see the latest and most innovative traffic management and road safety solutions from over 350 world-class suppliers."

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 13:10 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

This is a sneaky little bigger:
- It can be left unattended (takes two independent measurement - I don-t know how the other reading is determined, although I suspect it is a distance/time method based on ping delay)
- It can be used from inside a car, through a windshield.
- It uses an IR flash, so you could go back for more without knowing it before you get the first NIP.

Those with radar detectors will appreciate the early warnings these guns give.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 13:57 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Steve wrote:
It can be left unattended

I'll paraphrase "It can be easily stolen." :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 21:10 
Site Admin

Has anyone seen the article ? - sadly the version I bought, didn't have it in, and of course the Flu has swamped the news anyway.

The cameras are meant to be placed on poles and appear much smaller, so less visible. I am curious about how they think and audible noise? They say it will help the peds too, but to hear it in a car would likely deafen all the peds ?
Is this the 'name & shame' ?
Plus we are not allowed to honk at camera vans, but they are now potentially allowed to make a noise at a driver, that the unit 'thinks' is going over a numeric value. They I am sure will say this is a warning to all those about to look at that driver, so now you have a driver been visibly 'shamed' in public, and then gets distracted at this action. If I were a pedestrian I would find this frustrating and annoying.
The lack of responsibility is, glaring in this total inability to understand how to make the roads safer.
I do not want drivers going faster than is responsibly safe to do so. Enforcement will never make a driver make it safe, as it always fails to teach, best practice, educate or guide. It just informs a driver 2wks later that a crime was committed.

The close up driver images, will start to be used too to identify drivers / riders too with front & rear facing units, so will this start to be coupled to the vast databanks the Government are planning, of all of us, along with a route of your journey? Very troubling.