Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 20:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 22:13 
Site Admin

The Sunday People newspaper.

Article for tomorrow's press - £15 onto fines for victims.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:17 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's just tax disguised as victim support to make you feel better. As the election is coming, they don't want headlines like "Labour puts up fines by 25%".

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 22:57 
Life Member
Life Member

One of the government spokespersons was claimng that these weren't victimless crimes.
Like I need victim support becauce he/she didnt display his/her parking ticket,

Actually I need victim support because the Blairites have converted all the parking meters in to unused £2per hour credit card bays or bus stops for schools to be uesd 5 times a week

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 00:49 
Site Admin

Yep it is utterly shameful and dishonest not to say unjust !

The thought too that they are to use (I assume some not all) cameras to start 'just' booking people for all parking offenses is troubling. If all parking was fair and reasonable and when people parked badly or dangerously then I might forgive for a fee and immediate intervention to stop the error, but this is about just yet again booking people for tiny infringements and numerical errors. It is disproportionate to the 'crime'.
If society's morals have dropped so much that people are abusing the service available to them, then you have to tackle where things have gone wrong and do one's very best to fix it at source.
If people are always being booked for parking too long in bays then the Council need to extend the ability to pay for a ticket that is a fair price for the time they need to stay for OR remove all parking fees altogether to encourage use of Town facilities, and ensure good parking for workers.
I recently used the 20p/hr parking and wanted to buy 3 hrs so I could leisurely walk about the town and do all that I needed to without feeling in a rush (inc having a meeting), however having got to the 7th floor, where this rate started it could only be used for 2 hrs ! I then wished that I had gone to another location and walked in !