Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 07:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 19:52 
Site Admin

Media : LBC Radio - Should 70mph never mind 80mph be reduced, in light of the M5 accident !
Topic : Should 70mph never mind 80mph be reduced
Presenter : Ian Dale
Date : 7.11.11
Time : after 8pm

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 15:55 
User

I think it is a indication of the reactionary society in which we live that a freak accident in fog is used to determine speed limits. I was astounded to read a day or so after the accident an article linking the M5 accident to the proposed motorway limit increase and even after reading the article I was still at a loss as to how they were connected. Since then, it seems that the two have been inseparably linked by the media. How I do not know. Surely to anyone with half a brain the link is tenuous at best? One was a freak accident in dense fog/adverse conditions where speed has never been mentioned as a factor and the other is the speed most of us travel perfectly safely at day in day out on motorways.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 00:34 

It couldn't be any less ridiculous if someone stated that several of the cars had children in, so should children be banned from cars in case they cause accidents or one car had a Brake sticker in the window...should brake be held responsible? ...;-)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 13:01 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Haven't noticed BRAKE mentioning that 70 etc is MAXIMUM speed ,and that folk should drive according to the conditions .Only way to stop freak accidents like this one is to slow everything right down ,all of the time -just what BRAKE wants .Problem is that if you hit fog suddenly and traffic slows down ,there always will be one or two who willl carry on regardless .
Perhaps it's an indication of how meaningless the present 70 limit is that it's almost dangerous to travel at 70 in most lanes .This is what causes a lot of te M1/M6 congestion problems on Saturday/Sunday when couple with MLM( Those days half the population of Bradford ,Leicester and London travel to see the other half that's stayed at home .It always seemed like it to me :scratchchin: )