Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 04:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 16:11 
User

http://www.transport2000.org.uk/message ... geList.asp

though the format of this message board is crap and i can't directly link to the message, it is 6 down at time of writing dated 10th of August by Toomey and was replied to the same day, 4 messages from the top.

maybe Paul would like to say that he has an open message board (unlike T2000) and that anything he says on his site can be questioned and mistakes/incorrect things removed. However I doubt a factual post by a known "speedophile" will be allowed through the moderation process dispite this attack on Paul being against the rules set by T2000 themselves :roll:.

I think the rules are there as they know that in open debate they lose a lot of arguements. :twisted:

Simon

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 17:52 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

simon h wrote:
maybe Paul would like to say that he has an open message board (unlike T2000) and that anything he says on his site can be questioned and mistakes/incorrect things removed. However I doubt a factual post by a known "speedophile" will be allowed through the moderation process dispite this attack on Paul being against the rules set by T2000 themselves :roll:.

I think the rules are there as they know that in open debate they lose a lot of arguements. :twisted:

Yes, the contrast with this forum is rather marked.

However, for quite a number of people, seeing what politically incorrect messages they can sneak onto the T2000 board, or alternatively posting parodies of extreme anti-car views, has become a bit of a sport :lol:

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:53 
New User
New User

That is a hugely outdated message board and does not encourage open debate. Can't have that now can we? I must admit it has made excellent reading though. Particularly the posts by Horst K :lol: . WhaT an entertaining fellow:

Quote:
I had a look at this website. The first thing that struck me was the letters "SS". The use of them is legally restricted in Germany, for obvious reasons.

These motorist groups should be treated like other extremists and banned.

Quote:
Unfortunately Mr Brunstrom`s force has been working with a racing motorcyclist to encourage motorbikers to be sensible, saying that bike racing has no place on public roads. I suggest that it has no place anywhere, and motor sport has everything to do with speeding crime.

Right so, all motor sport in itself is 'speeding crime'? Wha? :lol:

Quote:
For example, when I am doing 28 mph where the maximum is 30 I am constantly overtaken by speeding criminals doing maybe 38. If they could not exceed 30 they would have to wait behind me, although they would doubtless still try to overtake, or try to bully me into going faster, so it`s essential that the system forces them to keep a safe distance behind.

The question I would like to see answered is, why is it legal to sell and drive vehicles capable of exceeding 70mph?

PS: Anyone who thought the ABD could be taken seriously should look at their website where they advocate scrapping the 40mph limit for lgvs on single-carriageways. Crazy!

I would doubt that he'd be constantly overtaken by doing 28mph in a 30. If there was a queue of traffic wanting to drive, legally, faster than he was, then perhaps he should pull over and let them past? Why should everyone have to wait to suit him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:26 

As I just posted in the other T2K thread; I own the domains:

- www.transport2000.co.uk
- www.transport2k.com
- www.transport2k.co.uk

If anyone has any ideas as to what I can do with them, let me know. In the mean time, I'm happy to setup a divert to SafeSpeed, if you're OK with that Paul (obviously I'll take ultimate responsibility if anyone complains)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 13:52 
User

Carl-do a spoof site, like arrive deprived, and put every couple of days a piece that says "Buses absorb CO2" or "Government give £1trillion to trains, but it's still not enough" or even "Global Wamring is real-25 degree rise in temperatures in last 6 months!" and in winter "Decrease in last 6 months in numbers of swallows blamed on Global Warming" :P

Also, to stop all that legal confusion you need a different slogan and name. How about "Transport 1650 - yesterday's transport today" (btw why are they still transport 2000, and anyway transport in 2000 was better than today, partly cos of transport 2000 having a go at every plan the government comes up with (and then Darling caving in)). The significance of 1650? the 1650s were a decade of little fun, and even Christmas was banned by Cromwell (cos of the merriment it brought to the people).

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 14:12 

If I had time to do a spoof-stie I would, but I don't, by a long stretch. So, unless someone else is willing to do one, then it's divert to another site or nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 03:32 
Site Admin

I sent this:

====================
In 1979 (according to several important indicators) we overtook Sweden to earn ourselves the safest roads in the World. The first Speed cameras were not installed until 1993.

Safe Speed campaigns for an urgent return to the excellent road safety policies that gave us the safest roads in the World in the first place.

At the present rates of change, Germany will overtake us in 2007. What will the speed camera proponents say when the only country with a large scale derestricted road network also has the safest roads in the World?

See the 320,000 word Safe Speed web site for intelligent and accurate road safety information with ample opportunity for visitor comment. Safe Speed also promises to remove or repair any information that can be shown to be inaccurate.
============================

Will they publish it? Place your bets!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 21:15 
Life Member
Life Member

Here's something I knocked up just now:

http://www.jibblers.plus.com/t2000/

It needs a bit of work, but how does it look as a starting point?

Also, I presume that as it's a parody, the name "Transport 2000" can be used because an exemption is allowed for this in copyrgiht law.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 22:00 
User

Brilliant orange, it's a good start.

how about this for the text before you can get onto the message board?

Quote:
This is your opportunity to have your say about transport (if we like what you say)! Use the Transport 2000 message board to raise issues important to you, put forward ideas or comment on what others have said. Anyone is welcome to use the message board, unless we don't like them, or what they have to say. People representing organisations should state the name of the organisation and their position. Personal posters may use their full name or first name only, as they wish.

All messages are vetted by the moderator and inappropriate ones will not be posted (see below for ground rules). This is a simple message board with up to the 30 most recent messages only displayed on a continuous scroll. There is likely to be a delay of one working day before messages appear, if the ever do appear.

Views expressed are the personal views of the writer and do not necessarily represent the official line of Transport 2000 unless posted by a Transport 2000 national campaigner and identified as such.

Ground rules
All comments must:

*Be factually incorrect and based on science and understanding we have accepted
*Perpetrate myths or misconceptions.
*Be relevant to the work of Transport 2000.
*Not bring Transport 2000 or individuals connected with it into disrepute.
*Move the 'debate' forward.
*Respect the ideals of sustainable transport and the need to protect the environment and quality of life of communities.
*Not be abusive, inflammatory, insulting or likely to cause offence or upset, unless it is towards Paul Smith or other speedophiles
*Not use inappropriate language.

The moderator reserves the right to shorten comments or omit sections that do not conform to his beliefs. The decision of the moderator is final and it is regretted that no correspondence can be entered into.

Remember, if you are answering a comment from someone else, refer to their name and the date their message was posted.

Also, with the picture somewhere on the site of president Michael Palin. put a picture of him in a silly Monty Python costume, and have underneath it
"Michael Palin, president of Transport 2000 says:"it's all a joke, i've been fooling everyone for the past 30 years!""

I know those pages are no doubt a long way off yet though

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 22:09 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

orange wrote:
Also, I presume that as it's a parody, the name "Transport 2000" can be used because an exemption is allowed for this in copyright law.

Perhaps it might be better to keep the T2000 URL but rename the actual page "Transport 1895".

Although "Transport 1650" (when Cromwell banned Christmas) is tempting I think the year before the Great Emancipation Run is best.

ROFL at Simon's contribution, btw :lol:

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 22:26 
User

PeterE wrote:
Although "Transport 1650" (when Cromwell banned Christmas) is tempting I think the year before the Great Emancipation Run is best.

ROFL at Simon's contribution, btw :lol:

Cromwell banned Christmas "for being too fun" in 1654, however it doesn't have that ring to it.

further efforts

*Not bring Transport 1650 or individuals connected with it into disrepute, we'll do that ourselves
*Move the 'debate' backwards.

ta to Peter for that last one and for rolling on the floor.

How about this message

"Jimbob is obviously a rabbit killing, car shagging, BAD member as he uses the slang term for safety cameras-GATSO. Supposidly this is a brand name. However the only other name i know speed or safety cameras by is "the greatest invention for lowering drivers trust". I would advice anyone posting that I think is a BAD member to not bother as I won't put your comments, whatever they say, up here.

Steve Hounsham, Head of Communications, Transport 1650"

This post is close to one sent by steve a few months ago. the person that used gatso has had to use a psudenymn and a different email address to post since then, although Steve didn't say they were banned, they were ignored completely. Steve also put up a post saying that supporters of the ABD weren't welcome on the message board.

Nothing like a bit of hyperbole though, even if it isn't far off the truth.

Horst's posts don't need tweaking, it's clear that the guy is either a plant or insane.

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 22:55 
Life Member
Life Member

Hehe, thanks for your comments.

I've updated it to say Transport 1650, and I've added the Forum page as written by simon, with some tweaks here and there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 23:25 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
Speeding drivers are responsible for third world poverty, says a shocking new report commissioned by Transport 1650

Mass unemployment would cut congestion, says Transport 1650

Going on holiday? Let us show you how to have a great break without leaving the comfort of your house!

:lol: LMAO :lol: Nice one, Orange. Are you going to go the whole hog and write the articles too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 00:17 
User

I'll try and do an article.

Quote:
Decrease in Luton's population is due to global warming, says Transport 1650

Luton's population decreased by 15% this week. This, however, has nothing to do with it being a dump, but is in fact due to temperatures being too high in the area. The typical house design in Luton feels the heat more than the average house, and as temperatures have risen by a huge 25 degrees C over the past 6 months, living in Luton is unbearable.

This mass exodus has caused a huge modal shift away from rail and onto air and car has occured," says Steve from T1650. "The M1 now has 300000 cars on it in the morning, 500 times more than were travelling down the A5 and A6, the roads it bypassed, when it opened. Rail usage from Luton station dropped by 10%, or 500 travellers since last week (July 12th). One can only think that these people are now killing countless bunny rabbits as they speed, tailgating, along country roads with no reguard for the grass on the verge as they speed noisily past it."

Latest figures show that more and more people are using Luton Airport, figures rose dramatically on July 19th with many more families than usual choosing to massacre baby seals as they fly from Luton. This obviously isn't related to the school holidays starting as they are obviously following our fantastic advice here <link to pr "Going on holiday? Let us show you how to have a great break without leaving the comfort of your house!">

Transport 1650 blame this on the government by not lowering our national CO2 emmisions to zero. We also think that they aren't putting enough money into rail, which they can get the extra cash needed from charging £100 per litre of petrol and diverting funding from the NHS, which we won't need if we didn't have cars as no one would get hurt or sick.

Hope that does...

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:14 

Wow, I go away for a couple of days and all this happens!

Many thanks for all of the help guys, I'm more than happy to point my URLs at what we have so far.

Orange; I'm currently without hosting as the boxes I used to use were decommissioned last week through lack of use! Would you have any problem if I simply directed it straight to your site?

I can sort out hosting some time soon, but if I can use yours in the mean time, that'd be great. Let me know.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 14:53 

Speed Cameras Reduce Terrorism…

Recent government figures show that 60% of terrorists exceed the speed limit when driving. Transport 1650 carried out a poll of known terrorist and believe the fear of being snapped and issued with a fixed penalty notice is a real deterrent. One interviewee claimed to favour a two-year stretch in camp delta than face the stigma of having 3 points on his license and a 60 pounds fine.

Based on our detailed scientific research we are urging the 24 existing safety camera partnerships to liaise with the anti-terrorist squad and install cameras at known terrorism black spots. Sussex Camera partnership was first to respond by placing a Gatsometer outside the grand hotel in Brighton. A spokesperson reported a 200% drop in terrorism since the installation.

With these results there can be no question that speed cameras reduce terrorism. We urge other partnerships to follow suit in the name of public safety. Not to mention that most terrorist organisations are extremely well funded and likely to cop the maximum fine, just what we need to help are falling sales and increasing revenue targets.

Transport 1650 also believe this approach could be expanded to incorporate airports and other know terrorist attractions. A recent study showed that most aircraft take off in excess of 100 MPH. We think this is strong evidence to show a link between aircraft speed and terrorism and will be campaigning to install cameras at the end of runways, many of which are less than 1 mile away from a 50mph limit.

A spokesperson for the national-scamera-club confirmed "we already have powers to install cameras at airports, but were previously concerned that the planes may chrash in to them". We are working with the authorities to errect the appropriate signs prior to installing and will pilot the trial at all major airports before ignoring the results and rolling out to minor ones too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 17:21 
User

diy wrote:
Sussex Camera partnership was first to respond by placing a Gatsometer outside the grand hotel in Brighton. A spokesperson reported a 200% drop in terrorism since the installation.

While a good article, Gatsometer wouldn't be used by Transport 2000. dispite supporting more cameras, they don't seem to know who make them, refering to anyone calling a camera a Gatso (even if it is one) as an ABD supporter. Obviously Gastometer and Truvelo haven't paid the wages of those at T2000, therefore don't exist (dispite Transport 2000 wanting to line the pockets of these firms).

Also they wouldn't call it the "national-scamera-club" they would call it the "road safety lobby"

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 21:17 
Life Member
Life Member

Great articles guys, I've done some slight re-wording (hope you don't mind) and uploaded them to the site.

In terms of hosting, how many hits do you get on your T2000 domains? This webspace is just my ISP-provided one, so it has quite a low bandwidth limit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 13:49 

orange wrote:
In terms of hosting, how many hits do you get on your T2000 domains? This webspace is just my ISP-provided one, so it has quite a low bandwidth limit.

:: shrugs ::

It's not logged, so I honestly don't have the vaguest idea. I doubt it's that many, TBH, and until Google picks the site up, I doubt you'll notice a much of a hit at all.

Failing that, I have ISP hosting I can use, I suppose. If you zip the whole lot up, I can upload it to mine - there are no expressed bandwidth limitations with Eclipse, it's just a 'don't take the Michael' kinda deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 19:57 
Life Member
Life Member

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be fine, feel free to redirect to it if you like.

Meanwhile, I've added the "99% of the public support us" page.