Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Pedestrian Risk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:28 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 19:19
Posts: 1050
I'm not sure this is really a challenge with regards to fact, because you do cleary state that it is hypothesis. However, on the

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/pedrisk.html

page you say

- Motorbikes travel faster (unlikely).

This is not my experience of urban traffic. In my experience Motorbikes are able to travel significantly faster than other traffic, because the queues usually only slow us down.

However, I'd like to see official data seperated for learners and qualified motorcyclists. I have a hunch (and there is some data to back this up with age and engine sie distribution) that learners represents at least 50% of casualty data in urban areas.

However, pedestrains failing to anticipate a filtering motorcycle is in effect a kind of SMIDSY. The vast majority of people (drivers and peds) do not expect to find moving traffic in a stationery queue. I think this is likely to be the highest contribution to ped risk.

you may also want to consider the 'tangliness' of a rider/ped interface (and this applies to cycles too. With the exception of scooters bikes are not really ped friendly from a crash point of view.[/url]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedestrian Risk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:05 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 06:46
Posts: 16903
Location: Safe Speed
diy wrote:
I'm not sure this is really a challenge with regards to fact, because you do cleary state that it is hypothesis.


At least it proves that this forum works. I'm sure some folk were beginning to wonder seeing as no posts have been made since the forum started in March 2004.

diy wrote:
However, on the

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/pedrisk.html

page you say

- Motorbikes travel faster (unlikely).

This is not my experience of urban traffic. In my experience Motorbikes are able to travel significantly faster than other traffic, because the queues usually only slow us down.


The page does give official data and an official reference to motorbike speeds in free travelling conditions. Like you, I have my doubts that the official figure correctly describe motorbike speeds. I suspect that motorbikes are the fastest moving vehicle class in many 30mph zones. However this is not what official figures tell us.

diy wrote:
However, I'd like to see official data seperated for learners and qualified motorcyclists. I have a hunch (and there is some data to back this up with age and engine sie distribution) that learners represents at least 50% of casualty data in urban areas.

However, pedestrains failing to anticipate a filtering motorcycle is in effect a kind of SMIDSY. The vast majority of people (drivers and peds) do not expect to find moving traffic in a stationery queue. I think this is likely to be the highest contribution to ped risk.


Yes. That's listed on the page and we rate it as "likely" also.

diy wrote:
you may also want to consider the 'tangliness' of a rider/ped interface (and this applies to cycles too. With the exception of scooters bikes are not really ped friendly from a crash point of view.


The page contains: "In accidents, projections cause worse injuries. (likely)" which is a different way of making the same point I think.

_________________
Paul Smith
Our scrap speed cameras petition got over 28,000 sigs
The Safe Speed campaign demands a return to intelligent road safety


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedestrian Risk
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:23 
Offline
Life Member
Life Member

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:35
Posts: 92
Location: Midlands
SafeSpeed wrote:
The page does give official data and an official reference to motorbike speeds in free travelling conditions. Like you, I have my doubts that the official figure correctly describe motorbike speeds. I suspect that motorbikes are the fastest moving vehicle class in many 30mph zones. However this is not what official figures tell us.


I'll have to disagree with you on that point Paul. Admittedly, my only experience of motorbike travel has been as a pillion passenger with various members of my family, but one thing that has always stuck in my mind was how rigidly 30 mph limits were adhered to by all concerned.

I don't know why I've only just spotted this topic, but I thought it was worth a mention.

_________________
If nothing else works, then a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 14:33 
Offline
User

Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 22:00
Posts: 193
Location: Rutland
Road through town where i live sees a high number of bikers on it during the summer, yet nearly all go along the high street below the 30 limit, certainly a much higher proportion than car drivers.

In the villages when i slow down in my car or on my bike to the 30 limits, i hardly ever have a bike catch up or overtake me until back into NSL whereas often have cars and lorries gaining on me.

But bikes make more noise, so maybe this gives pedestrians the impression that they are travelling faster?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 14:36 
Offline
Life Member
Life Member

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:35
Posts: 92
Location: Midlands
I'm glad it's not just me that's noticed this then. It's very easy for paranoia to start. :lol:

_________________
If nothing else works, then a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 15:08 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 14:04
Posts: 2325
Location: The interweb
SCE wrote:
But bikes make more noise, so maybe this gives pedestrians the impression that they are travelling faster?


Yes, I think there is a certain ammount of looking with their ears.

Bike engines also rend to be running at higher revs than cars, which gives a false impression of speed.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.270s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]