The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 15:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A9 camera van
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 16:27 
New User
New User

My 1st post, please be gentle.

I've noticed that Speed Camera signs have now been fixed on the A9 and A99 all the way to Wick and am seeing the Highland Camera Van parked frequently to the North of Inverness, often at The Mound and quite regularly in the layby just outside Wick.

I wanted to write to give you all a laugh at the hypocrosy of the clown who drives the Camera Partnership Van. I was travelling home (South) last week when I happened upon a long queue of traffic, headed up by said camera partnership van, doing bang on 50mph.

After about 10 miles I had moved up the queue to a couple of cars back and noticed 2 things; 1. No-one had dared overtake the camera van, despite several safe oppertunities to pass and 2. we had passed one of the road information signs which says something like "Frustration causes accidents, pull over to allow faster vehicles to pass" and he (camera van) had done nothing of the sort.

So at the next available safe overtaking point, I did exactly that, and does he not go and gesticulate out the window and flash his lights at me! I couldn't believe it.

Happy motoring all

Snert

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: A9 camera van
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 16:47 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Welcome Snert! :welcome:

Snert wrote:
........doing bang on 50mph.

What was the limit at that time?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 17:16 
New User
New User

smeggy wrote:
Welcome Snert! :welcome:

Snert wrote:
........doing bang on 50mph.

What was the limit at that time?

Thanks for the welcome.

He was driving a Ford Transit on a single carriageway, so 50mph would be the limit for him, 60mph for me in my car.

Snert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 17:34 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Snert wrote:
He was driving a Ford Transit on a single carriageway, so 50mph would be the limit for him, 60mph for me in my car.

Ah, I see :bighand:

This might explain a little: once when caught in traffic, I spotted this, thankfully I had my camera handy...

zoomed in:

That's the way some people are these days :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 00:49 
User

When somebody flashed their lights and waved at me in Blackpool, I pulled up immediately in the middle of the road, and got out to examine the rear of my vehicle, thinking something was seriously wrong with it (my vehicle). :wink:

The driver behind, it appeared was not happy with the fact I waited until green before crossing a traffic light - despite the fact it was regularly the scene of late jumpers colliding with early chancers! :o

I would have welcomed the opportunity to flag down the camera van and ask him what the problem was! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:38 
User

My experience of the A9 is that slower vehicles pass about 4 of the "Please let faster vehicles overtake safely" before they actually understand what the signs mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 14:27 
User

They probably don't see the signs in the first place as they are too busy staring at their speedos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 15:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Used to be a similar phenomenon on single track roads "Please use passing places to permit overtaking " ---so the numpties on holiday couldn't comprehend that it also meant to "allow passing too"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 15:39 
User

Snert wrote:
So at the next available safe overtaking point, I did exactly that, and does he not go and gesticulate out the window and flash his lights at me! I couldn't believe it.

Highway Code, Para 90 wrote:
90: Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights in an attempt to intimidate other road users.

Seems like a clear violation to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 04:03 
User

B cyclist wrote:
My experience of the A9 is that slower vehicles pass about 4 of the "Please let faster vehicles overtake safely" before they actually understand what the signs mean.

Slower than What?.....60mph? Wow! that'll take their breath away as they used to say in Victorian times!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:20 

Snert, I'd make a formal complaint if I were you, for the refusal to pull in (quite deliberate I suspect), the flashing lights (not illegal but against the Highway Code) and the gesticulating (if you'd gesticulated going past an operating camera van then you'd have been photographed and done for not being in full control of your vehicle).

What an obnoxious, self-righteous idiot. I bet no-one's the slightest bit surprised that someone who works for the scammers has such a poor attitude and doesn't know the first thing about actual courteous, safe driving. "I'm not speeding so I'm safe." A nasty, bitter little control freak who wants to spread around as much misery as possible. The kind of person whose pulse rate quickens at the prospect of sitting in a van ruining a constant stream of careers. I bet he's a lane-hogger as well (not that there's much in the way of motorways/DCs around there). Absolute scum.

What I'm trying to say is: I'm not too impressed with him. ;)

"The freedom provided by the motor vehicle is not universally applauded, however: there are those who resent the loss of state control over individual choice that the car represents. Such people rarely admit their prejudices openly; instead, they make false or exaggerated claims about the adverse effects of road transport in order to justify calls for higher taxation or restrictions on mobility." (Conservative Way Forward: Stop The War Against Drivers)