Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 08:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:23 
User

Following a fatal collision between an HGV and a van driven by an 18 year old last week, road works have been set up to repair the verge/fence where the HGV left the road.

My wife noted this morning that a new Speed Camera road sign has been erected at the roadworks.

A bit of background:

The A90 leaves Aberdeen northbound and heads towards Peterhead. The road is dual carriageway from Aberdeen to Balmedie (approx 7-8 miles) then merges to NSL single carriageway for another 7-8 miles, before returning to dual carriageway about 2 miles south of Ellon, then back to single carriageway north of Ellon.

The site of last week's crash is less than a mile south of Foveran (50mph limit). Heading south from Foveran, there is an uphill straight perhaps 600 yards long, followed by a gentle left hander turning through approx 50 degs. There then follows one of 3 useable overtaking stretches (approx 1000 yards of almost straight road (there is a minor turn half way up, but everything is completely visible) before a staggered crossroads. It was on this stretch where the 18 year old van driver hit the lorry on the wrong side of the road.

I shall endeavour to get a photograph of the scene to post up.

I shall be most upset if they destroy the overtaking stretch as there are ALWAYS crawlers on the road and it's not viable to get past in many other places.

There have been accidents on this stretch in the past, but they invariably involve a f*ck up of varying magnitudes, but usually following the theme of either:

Ambition bigger than engine

or

Tailgating the vehicle infront thus masking oncoming vehicles road the kink half way up (following 1.5 seconds behind an HGV gives a perfectly clear view ahead)

Is there someplace where I can find official plans for erecting new scameras? I'd much prefer they just finished the dual carriageway to be honest.....

Profile Send private message