The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 02:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 15:22 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

botach wrote:
(BOTACH (AS NEAR AS I CAN REMEMBER) IS SCOTTISH GAELIC (HELP PAUL) FOR OLD MAN)

More usually spelt "bodach", I think.

http://webhome.idirect.com/~donlong/mon ... Bodach.htm

In Scottish Gælic bodach means 'old man'. This was a spirit or bogie that would come down the chimney of a house and either steal children or terrorize them, poking and pulling at the child, thus inducing nightmares. It was said that the bodach would only bother naughty children, and in defense a child could put salt in the hearth, as the bodach would not cross salt.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 15:46 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
PETERE - THANKS - in my part of theworld - gaelic was not written - i always presumed that it was spelt with a t - I STAND (OR SIT) CORRECTED - NICE TO SEE SOMEONE SOUTH OF THE WALL WITH A BIT OF EDUCATION - IT IS ALSO NICE TO SEE THE WHOLE MEANING OF THE TITLE - WE ALWAYS USED IT AS "OLD MAN", meaning an elder male etc - so beware KIDDIES -PETERE HAS SHOWN YOU WHAT IT REALY MEANS - BUT I LIKE SALT!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 04:19 
User

Sorry, I have no aptitude for languages, it takes me all my time just trying to get it right in English. They tryed to teach me Latin when I was in Scotland, all I can remember is Vini, Vidi, Vici, which is always met with an odd reception when said by an Englishman in Scotland :twisted:
Anyway before I offend again, a test. If whilst driving down the centre lane you notice a car in L1 is closing on a lorry further up L1. Do you: a. Do nothing. b. If clear, move into L3.
If you answerd a, consider now that as you close on the vehicle it indicates an intention to move into L2. Same options for answer.
If you answered a. consider now that it is evident that because of the relative speed of each vehicle, the car in L1 will have to reduce speed or crash into the lorry because you are preventing it from moving out, do you move into L3?
If you are still driving down the centre lane then you meet my definition of being a CLOC member and are a potential hazard to other road users could anyone who is still in the centre lane throughout this scenario please explain why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 07:28 
Site Admin

tinytim wrote:
Anyway before I offend again, a test. If whilst driving down the centre lane you notice a car in L1 is closing on a lorry further up L1. Do you: a. Do nothing. b. If clear, move into L3.
If you answerd a, consider now that as you close on the vehicle it indicates an intention to move into L2. Same options for answer.
If you answered a. consider now that it is evident that because of the relative speed of each vehicle, the car in L1 will have to reduce speed or crash into the lorry because you are preventing it from moving out, do you move into L3?

I'd normally have no hesitation in moving into L3 to give space.

On occasion the best option is to hang back and wait to see what happens. If it looks as if a collision might take place, or the L1 car might steer violently to avoid one, I'd defintely hang very well back. L3 might be affected by a spinning vehicle or debris from the collision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 14:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Thank you paul - better to hold back /make yourself late in this world than to make new friends on an early visit to the next - think that's what the wording on the stone tablets called the highway code meant -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 15:26 
New User
New User

botach wrote:
Thank you paul - better to hold back /make yourself late in this world than to make new friends on an early visit to the next - think that's what the wording on the stone tablets called the highway code meant -

8-) Hi.
I have driven LGV's for over 30years, have been an IAM member for over 10 years, and consider myself a better than average driver, I try to hold a steady speed, (in my case CC at 60MPH) and I find this is the way to an easier life, it allows me to view everything going on around me, and make unhurried decisions regarding lane changes, holding back etc. I also find that the use of the outside lane is rarely necessary, and no, before anyone says anything I am not a w/end driver I average 20-25000 miles per year, and all my experience has taught me a relaxed driver is a better driver.
Regards.
T. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 19:28 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

tommytruck wrote:
I have driven LGV's for over 30years, have been an IAM member for over 10 years, and consider myself a better than average driver, I try to hold a steady speed, (in my case CC at 60MPH)

Fair enough, but if you do that on a 70-limit road on an IAM test you'll fail.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 20:54 
New User
New User

8-) Hi. PeterE.
You have answered your own statement.
"Laws are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools."
Regards.
T. 8-) 8-) 8-)