Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 02:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Basic Car Kit
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 01:38 
User

What sort of things do you have in your boot?

My cousin - WildCat once described her tool kit as the car's make-up kit!

So besides lipstick for her motor - what might she have placed in there?

Her handbag contains the RAC card, the mobile phone and a throwawy camera and a little torch.

Her glove compartment - car's handbook and a little book entiltled "Wimmin's Guide to Motor Cars and Their Tantrums" aka ( Car maintenance for Wimmin), a clean cloth, a first aid kit, and on the back seat - a travel rug. Within reach of the dash - she also has a fire extinguisher.

In the boot - there is an organiser bag - complete with a tool box. All members of my family do have one of these ... :lol:

So little competition for you all!

WHAT SORT OF THINGS WOULD YOU EXPECT TO FIND IN A PETROLHEAD' S EMERGENCY TOOL KIT?
:wink: :lol: :wink:

PS

Lipstick, mascara and dangly toys are not the right answer! :wink: Nor are handcuffs in my case! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 14:52 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Spare kit bulbs and fuses (from Halfords, who do lots of different kits so you can get the one that's specific for your car). Very useful if plod pull you for a busted light that you hadn't spotted. Should get a pleasant chat at the roadside while you change it. At least, in TVP and Surrey areas it seems to work. Probably get an ear bashing and a ticket from the heartless Durham mob. :wink: :lol: :P

There's a toolkit with some basic spanners and screwdrivers that sits inside the spare wheel, and I know they all fit the nuts and bolts I'm likely to find since Honda put it there. :) I keep the key for the locking nuts on the alloys in a lockable compartment inside the car though. :oops: but I forgot to unlock it for the garage when I put the car in for new discs and pads. :oops: Bottle of oil, fuel can and some water rattling around in the boot too.

Because I'm too lazy to use a footpump to inflate tyres I keep a small compressor that plugs into the lighter socket. Just to be on the safe side I have one of those aerosol cans of instant tyre fix too. Oh, and while we're on the subject of flat tyres, though this isn't something that goes in the boot - find out where the jacking points are on your car before you need to use them, and remember that they're easier to find in the dark if you have a torch handy.

Breakdown cover is a must. Last time I broke down the dizzy had keeled over, and I was a long way from home. I don't know how much it would have cost me to get a recovery vehicle out for it, but it would have been a damn sight more than the 70 quid or whatever I paid Green Flag that year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 20:57 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have some spare bulbs and a disposable camera.

I drive a dealer maintained Honda. I don't have break downs. If I do the car will be sold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 18:34 
User

Wildy's Vanity Case for the car includes - insulating tape, WD 40, a wheel brace with an extending handle, warning triangle, hose clips and repair bandages, cable ties, spark plugs, fuses, ignition lead, fan belt, spare bulbs (in case my heartless lads and me pull her up :wink: and give her the acid lecture :lol: - to which we will get "Aber Liebchen" and that fluttering of the eyelashes ....

But what else has she got in that Vanity case? :wink: (apart form a pack of Huggies and baby wipes and bottles) :lol: l