Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 02:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 17:41 
Site Admin

Pat wrote:
Well, this is my first post on these Forums and I started to read this thread because I live close to the A14 in Cambs and I'm a lorry driver who travels it frequently.
I didn't expect to end up reading the pro's and cons of BMW v Audi v Merc.

Welcome, Pat.

There's always a certain amount of topic drift, and there will always be lower quality posts and those that don't interest all of us. I think we've kept the overall quality high, and I sincerely hope we can do so in the future. That said, it's hard to know what could be done about people who turn up and post rubbish...

Pat wrote:
Surely it's the mentality of the driver, not the vehicle he/she's driving, that determines the safety of other road users??

Mentality, attitude, skills, state of mind and so on - yes of course. That's why we should be concentating on driver quality and not vehicle speed.

Pat wrote:
If car drivers we're taught how to join a moving flow of traffic it would help and in addition to this, to ask them to bear in mind that they should 'Give Way' and not believe it is their God given right to have everything move over for them, a lot of the problems would be solved.

It doesn't actually say "give way" in the Highway Code you know. I'm not entirely sure if the Highway code is right or wrong in this respect.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/23.shtml#233

(I appreciate that this is a Motorway reference, I don't think there's specific dual carriageway advice on the issue.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 17:50 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

When I am driving on a motorway, I always try to do what I can to help drivers joining from a slip road, either by backing off a little to give them room, or moving out to Lane 2.

If more drivers took the same co-operative view, many of the issues discussed in this thread would be defused.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed