Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 19:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 23:42 
User

This news article appeared last November, and I felt the authorities were very reserved in not blaming speed.
At the time, I thought perhaps it was clear that inexperience might be the cause:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/6121366.stm

I had written to my MP about the toll of young drivers on the roads of Cumbria, and the manner in which drivers qualify nowadays and received a reply from Stephen Ladyman himself, saying that the Government intended not to make Pass Plus compulsory, and that they were "looking into" the possibility of improvements to the driving test. However he ruled out staged tests as used with motorcycles, while admitting that they had reduced deaths among new motorcyclists!
Today I found this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/6306943.stm
which appears to indicate that we need to find an answer quickly!

Anyone have any comments, or data which would indicate the causes of these crashes? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 04:07 
User

Well Ernest, I'd like to open up the debate by saying first of all: "skills are learned when young........but WISDOM comes later!"........How do we manage that?....

I have to say that: I dunno'...

The greater access of "track days" maybe will improve skills? Something that in MY day was non existent!.....But HOW do you grow "experience"?........

How do you teach people about the stupid actions/positioning etc of your fellow drivers?......

Many of those that I see......BRAKE..............THEN FINALLY INDICATE! .......

GRRRRR!!!!!!...sometimes............. :x

Speed.!..................................NEVER comes into it!...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 07:55 
Life Member
Life Member

Whilst I agree with every thing else about training and attitude changes required

If we go back a decade or two, cars only exploded in to flames on american films. then we too went to unleaded fuel.

To obtain acceptabillity of four star petrol they took the unleaded which was equivilent to two star and added lots of benzine giving it the same calorific value.

The benzine has a lower flashover point, and it burns faster, much faster.

A nasty accident can turn from 5 injured to 5 dead where the rescue time is down from the golden hour to seconds.

We need double skinned fuel tanks. and foam filled tanks and any other technlogy that might help.

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code