Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 20:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:43 

Quote:
BURNSVILLE, Minn., Nov. 22 -- In the midst of the holidays, multitasking will become even greater as we juggle work, family and holiday preparations. In addition, many people will be driving significant distances to visit family and friends. Not coincidentally, this time of year has the greatest number of fatal automobile crashes. Winter driving conditions cause many automobile crashes, but many people do not know that distracted driving causes approximately 25 percent of those fatal automobile crashes.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 21:51 
User

seen a Police stop america docu. and the narrarator said many crashes are caused by people staring at the police that have stopped someone on the hard shoulder.

Andrew

Homer Simpson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 18:13 
User

The assertion that inattention is the principal cause of traffic accidents is so obvious and common-sensical that it's no wonder the Government disputes it. After all, when has HMG taken a sensible line on anything?

I remember driving on the M42 several years ago. I noticed a haze of smoke in the distance, which soon resolved into a rather lavish accident involving three cars. One was on its roof in the middle of the motorway, rotating gently, one was halfway up the bank, and the third was embedded in the central armco, smoking from a small fire.

If I'd been a pedestrian, natural human goulishness may have made this tableaux worth a goggle, but I was aware that I was operating a car, so I attempted to maintain my speed and carry on. The chap in front of me had no such reservations. He slammed on his brakes, nearly standing his repmobile on its nose, then briefly disappered from view. When he reemerged, he was holding a camera (presumably fished from the glovebox) and was busily clicking away at the wreckage. Fortunately, I had been a sufficient distance behind him to stop in time, but I was quite concerned about the consequences of his actions on the traffic that was emergency braking behind me. I flashed him to ask him to move on, but recevied no more than a middle finger for my trouble. He only moved when a policeman in attendance at the accident told him, in a very loud voice, to "piss off."

When I think of the hazards of driving, its these morons that fill my mind, not press-on drivers who drive quickly but safely.