Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 19:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Street Lighting
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 14:27 
User

Since the clocks went back in October, there have been four or five really nasty multiple vehicle accidents at the junction of the A13/Lakeside Shopping Centre junction at West Thurrock in Essex.

This is a very nasty junction, as you have traffic merging from the left, having just come off the M25, traffic continuing on the A13, and traffic trying to get over into the left hand lane to take the filter lane for the shopping centre.

There was another very bad five or more car pile up last night.

To me, one of the main causes of these accidents has to be that hardly any of the street lights are working in that area. There are plenty of them, they just do not work.

Drivers come over an overpass, and are then plunged into almost total darkness, at just the point when they really do need to be able to see what is going on.

I was astonished that after the last very bad accident a month back to find traffic tailed back for five miles again the next day because the police had placed a "video surveillance unit" at the side of the road, and drivers were crawling past it at 20mph..

Anyway, I e-mailed the Highways Agency today, to highlight (no pun intended) this problem.. but I just know that the local camera partnership will be campaigning to get the speed limit reduced and cameras put in!

Speed, is in my humble opinion, not an issue here at all though, placing a camera at this site instead of fixing the street lighting, will give the drivers yet another thing to think about.

Oh.. I just realised, what's the betting that they do both, fix the street lighting AND put in a camera, and then claim that the instant reduction in accidents is because of the camera.. <grrrrr>

Regards,

Russ

Post subject: Re: Street Lighting
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 17:21 
Suspended
Suspended

Quote:
This is a very nasty junction, as you have traffic merging from the left, having just come off the M25, traffic continuing on the A13, and traffic trying to get over into the left hand lane to take the filter lane for the shopping centre.

If a particular Junction has alot of accidents, it clearly needs redesigning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 16:17 
User

That junction was badly designed from day 1, bear in mind you cannot get eastbound on the A13 but have to go down to the M25/A13 junction and fight your way out there or come out through Chafford Hundred. When it was planned "There will be tears was forecast" also I remember at the time Thurrock Council was solid Labour (as in thick) when it came to motorists (I lived in Purfleet at the time and I can honestly say the council was useless)