Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 17:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:15 
Banned
Banned

ThRu5h wrote:
Joyriders, underage drivers, Motorists taking part in criminal activity, ie, evading capture are largely MEN ... and what types of people are most likley to crash or kill?

MEN

Gatsobait wrote:
I think I once heard that women have better peripheral vision than men. If I didn't imagine it, and if it's as true for girls as it is for adult women, then that could be part of the reason. That sort of thing won't change in the same way other factors might. Or maybe they really are just brighter than us poor males. :wink:

Men are more prone to the extremes of fear and greed! Sometimes this comes out as greatness (e.g. Rutherford) or wickedness (e.g. Pol Pot). Women and more balanced about things, and more co-operative. That makes them better able to share things, e.g. the roads. That's my theory, anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:28 
Site Admin

basingwerk wrote:
Men are more prone to the extremes of fear and greed! Sometimes this comes out as greatness (e.g. Rutherford) or wickedness (e.g. Pol Pot). Women and more balanced about things, and more co-operative. That makes them better able to share things, e.g. the roads. That's my theory, anyway.

While we're making sexist generalisations, it's interesting to note that men have demonstrably better spatial awareness than ladies.

I've been testing this for years with a little "party experiment". It has never failed to reveal a difference.

Ask people to take it in turns to stand by a closed door and position their hand so that the door knob will accurately place into the hand when the door is opened wide. When they have positioned their hand to their own satisfaction, open the door and see how accurate they are. The men are FAR more accurate than the ladies. As a generalisation, I'd say most men get it dead right. Most ladies are out by at least 3 or 4 inches...

How's that going to translate into road behaviour? Mostly parking bumps I reckon.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:01 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeed wrote:
While we're making sexist generalisations...
Ouch. Fair point, so lets say "tend to" and "usually" in front of everything from now on. :)

I've heard about the spatial awareness difference. Someone also brought up the point that women tend to be more risk averse than men. That could be why women tend to have more low speed knocks (spatial awareness) and men are more likely to do the James Dean thing (less risk averse). I wonder as well if the risk-prone bahaviour of males is balanced out to some degree by the spatial awareness, so we should expect men to have more near misses having got into a dodgy situation but seen the way out in time?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 14:11 
Banned
Banned

SafeSpeed wrote:
While we're making sexist generalisations, it's interesting to note that men have demonstrably better spatial awareness than ladies.

I'm not suggesting any prejudice, only that men and women are different. The statistics must have a reason.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 14:42 
Site Admin

basingwerk wrote:
SafeSpeed wrote:

I'm not suggesting any prejudice, only that men and women are different. The statistics must have a reason.

Don't worry, it was just a throw away remark. I have excellent evidence that men and women are different. :)