Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 03:16 
User

Anyone followed up the banner ad for "well-driven.net"? It's the one with the ripped up L plates!
http://www.well-driven.net/?gclid=CPmRlpTg_4oCFRJgMAodbglzJw

For £14.99 they give you a sticker which invites other drivers to contact them and diss or praise your driving.
I suspect too many calls would be from motorists irate at being thwarted in some way, and taking it out on the first hook they can hang a complaint on!

However, it DOES seem a good idea to praise or even reward good driving.

I went into Lancashire today, and encountered all manner of driving in atrocious conditions - high winds, and driving sleet and hail.

Some was inappropriate, some unskilled, and some just plain careless, but a few drivers stood out by their actions in anticipation, and consideration. I would love to be able to praise the good drivers, but who would we rely upon to see that the inexperienced and unskilled drivers had their standards lifted?

I seem to remember somebody supported this idea of praising good driving before... how should we approach this if at all?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 03:44 
Site Admin

I hate this idea for the following reasons:

- Those making judgements about others' driving may well not be qualified to do so.

- Offering the opportunity to criticise others will surely increase animosity.

- Such schemes encourage 'petty hitler' types to participate and feel even more superior.

- It's a push towards oversimplified assessments - you can bet that drivers won't be criticised or praised for COAST type skills. Instead it'll all be 'too fast', 'too slow' and 'using his cellphone'.

- It encourages a 'transfer of responsibility'. It's not MY fault - look at all the bad drivers.

I'm sure there's more... I just think it's bloody annoying rubbish and a million miles from intelligent road safety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:24 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I also have doubts that the vast majority of motorists are able to make intelligent judgements on others driving skills.

It reminds me of a constant discussion I have with myself:-

Are drivers who 'think' they are superior, more dangerous than those who simply drive?
I have a real problem with the IAM 'pass-for-life' exam. One only has to read some of the letters in Advanced Driving to realise that many who have passed their test, really have little idea of what they are talking about. The worrying thing is that they think they know it all simply because they once passed their test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 16:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Like the 'How's my driving?' sticker on the back of trucks! :shock:

I was in the outside lane of a double queue at roadworks one day, and I could see a Rangerover in my mirror trying to climb the armco to get past. After the roadworks, SHE overtook me with one hand on the horn and the other giving me the V-sign. When I got back to the yard, she'd rung in and complained that I would not pull in to let her past! :? I had had nowhere to go, as both lanes were chokka up to the works.

F**king hammer chewers. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 17:01 
User

Slightly o/t, but I find that the general quality of driving during the week is far better than that at the weekends...

I had the (mis)fortune of driving a Sprinter from Basildon to Swindon last Thursday afternoon. For most of the journey the traffic was free-flowing but heavy, but there was one particular stretch of the M25 that was nose to tail and moving at a fairly steady 15 - 25mph. I found myself in L1 of 4 when I realised that my lane was turning off, so I needed to move into L2. I fully expected to be stuck in L1 and have to force my way over, but I flipped on the RH indicator and within about 10 seconds I was being flashed out! Very impressed!

The same situation at the weekend and I'd probably have to leave the motorway and join again after the junction... :roll:

Back on topic - its a very hard call. Whilst we already know that constructive critisism is the best way to improve, the critisism has to be well informed and not just spleen-venting. The problem is, those who are the worst offenders aren't likely to WANT to improve, and so aren't likely to visit a site like that in the first place...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 17:33 
User

Oscar wrote:
Like the 'How's my driving?' sticker on the back of trucks

Off topic, but the one that makes me laugh is "How am I driving?". Well if you don't know .... :roll:

Edited to correct schoolboy mistake :oops:

Last edited by R1Nut on Mon Mar 19, 2007 17:42, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 17:36 
User

"How's my driving? Call 0800 Eat Sh*t"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 18:56 

SafeSpeed wrote:
I hate this idea for the following reasons:

-snip

On the other hand it could have beneficial effects as the aggrieved driver is given an opportunity to vent their anger away from the scene.

I've no real experience of how these schemes work from the perspective of the companies or drivers displaying the stickers but I did once report a driver bearing one and got a nice letter in return which made me feel I had done something. I can see this being a great calmer for some people. I however was cynical that nothing was actually said/done at the driver's end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 20:36 
Life Member
Life Member

Quote:
Slightly o/t, but I find that the general quality of driving during the week is far better than that at the weekends...

Very true. I find the same volume of traffic causes more congestion at the weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 01:42 

Somethng that concerns me is the size of the text on a lot of these stickers is so small that to read them, write them down or punch into a mobile (even if in a cradle) is going to encorage tailgating.

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 14:41 
Life Member
Life Member

I find the drivers most likey to "report" a driver too often have the most to answer for themselves.

I've been "reported" once... several years ago i made a reasonably safe overtake attempt in a horribly underpowered vauhall combo to pass a volvo bumbling down the A48 at 40mph. When in front and about to move over as the short two lane section was reducing back to SC, the old fool decided to try to accelerate back up my inside. I had no choice but to cut him off with inches to spare, no way i could have braked untill he was past as the road was running out with oncoming traffic.

Got to the office a few hours later to find the foreman wanting a word with me- liveried electric board van y'see...