Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 19:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 13:14 
User

Day Three of my notes as young trainee trafpol BiB ...

Who ME?

Developing the correct mental approach is vital...you state of mind changes by the hour and attitudes change gradually...Aggressive people are usually less so when "in a good mood" ( yup - they did state the blinkin' obvious at times :wink:

A correct attitude enhances learning and a poor attitude undermines all the positive skills. If your attitude towards driving whilst tired is to ignore it and carry on regardless - then an accident may result. Most accidents are caused by this poor mental approach and attitude. Attitude affects thoughts, actions and reactions in subtle ways.

Distinctions must be made between all the attitides you display in life - passion, anxiety, impatience and the one you adopt when in the driving seat. As a pedestrian you are probably polite and quick to apologise if yoou get under their feet...

But what happens if another driver inconveniences you? Do you swear, blast your horn or just simmer away - muttering "twazak" (Wildy and one or two of the Swiss mob do this). How do feel if you are waiting to join a queue of traffic from a minor road and a person deliberately blocks you from entering the stream of traffic? How do you feel if you let the person into the stream of traffic? The taxi driver who causes you to make an emergency stop?

We came to the conclusion in this particular class that it was because people feel they are one step removed from pyhysical or verbal confrontation and that the bigger and beefier the car - the greater the feeling of security from attack.

We were urged to see traffic movement as a flow - and display a mutual understanding and purpose: the driver's job is to move in, within and out of the flow of traffic causing the minimum of disruption and upset to others.

Once you adopt the attitude of maintaining the flow - road positioniing, when and where to signal become obvious. You become a tacit partner and you draw satisfaction from controlling your anger when others err - because this helps keep your concentration and prevents you from making mistakes as well.

Fear also affects driver behaviour. People can be afraid of lorries, bad weather and their fear makes them a liability to themselves and others. If yoou find a fear is affecting your driving - then investigate it and work out a strategy to cope with it - even if this means booking a lesson with a driving instructor just to pull you out of it.

==============================

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 22:06 

This post sort of builds on the last one and the anger part was what I was eluding to in my response to "Day 2". My attitude does needs some attention even though I am fairly docile for the most part.

Yes I'm a hoon, but only on the track!!!!