Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 01:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Concentration
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 13:45 
User

Day Four of My Notes ....

Urged to concentrate behind the wheel of your car ... you probably repsond by trying to do everything right... this produces the effect of correct behaviour but may not necessarily result in good driving.

Aim for a relaxed concentration... Yours truly was a bit confused by this at the time .... what one earth as this bloke at the front armed with an OHP who was now seriously disturbing my sleep on about now?

He likened it to watching telly ... you are relaxed yet concentrating on the plot, the story and the acting... driving should be the same - relaxed concentration enables you to perceive and anticipate hazards, and worrying about whether you pull-pushed, push-pulled or worrying that the rotational steer or the one hander was not quite "kosher" or whether you selected the correct gear around that corner or touched the brake a feather harder than necessaryor forgot to indicate at the roundabout exit... impedes the concentration. In other words - cease concentrating on aboslute technicalities which (even for the average and experienced Joe) should be automatic and switch to observation and ancticipation.,...

================================

What do you understand by "relaxed concentration" ?

Does it apply to you and yours? How can we set about developing this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 22:12 

You describe my driving style to perfection with the "relaxed concentration". I try not to focus on the little things but when I get something wrong it still grates.

I have a race clutch which is particularly unforgiving to anything but a perfect rev match when changing gear and when I get it wrong the whole car screams "WRONG!" so I find myself occasionally concentrating a bit too hard on getting it right.

I find that the more relaxed I am the further ahead I seem to be able to plan. Like playing chess in a way, concentrate on the next move and it may end up being the wrong one because the best move can only be made by thinking of the longer term effect.

Yes I'm a hoon, but only on the track!!!!