Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 20:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Relaxation
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 14:09 
User

Day Five of my Notes...

I remember being asked whether or not I could relax on demand....I remember lying down saying "relax ... relax.... relax...." and found that I was doing anything but relax :roll:

They then asked me to think about an awkward customer I had arrested prior to the course....How did I feel before dealing with him and did I feel better after doughnuts and coffee in the canteen. Then they asked me if I felt tense just thinking about the unpleasant experience ... the answer was "yes!"

"Aha!" Said the instructor ..."your relaxation is thus affected by what goes on in your everyday thinking..". :twisted:

They then asked me how I felt about skidding...(er ...well ... there was that unfortunate corner when I was 17 .... and even though I had IAM before joining up ... never really really skidded acar before that ... so admitted to being a bit wary... :roll:

They said part of being relaxed was "know-how", being aware of what is going on within yourself and how this affects your driving performance.... and cue the skid pan....

Part of the training session insisted that the driving seat be adjusted to fit like a mould, light but firm hold on the wheel - and all movements to be be fluid, unhurried and purposeful and I was supposed to communicate calm confidence to my passengers ( one eagle eyed instructor ... :roll: )

======================

What makes you tense up in the car? How would you set about controlling and coping with this?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 22:20 

It has taken many many years to reach a point where I can honestly say that I am totally relaxed while sliding a car around on a skid pan.

It's a bit like the relaxed concentration thing in that if you concetrate too hard on what's happening you end up getting it wrong. At my last day on the skid pan a few weeks ago I was doing my normal wild slides around the course having a ball, but getting it all pretty well perfect. I took a friend out and tried to explain what I was doing as I did it and it just all went wrong. I told him just to watch, relaxed and then it all went right again.

I find that the combination of the lightest touch on the steering wheel and a firm embracing seat usually returns the best result because you can "feel" what the car is doing through your entire body.

Probably getting a little gushy here but when you achieve a "oneness" with a car it truly is a wonderful experience.

Yes I'm a hoon, but only on the track!!!!

Profile Send private message