Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 05:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 20:17 
Offline
User
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 21:41
Posts: 3608
Location: North West
We cannot all be wrong then. :wink:

More and more road safety experts are convinced that attitude of mind - training it - holds the key to ultimate safety on our roads.

COAST - of course - is a part of this and I think credit to IG for insisting criteria from DIS and the more " reputable" :shock: :? :wink: Speed Aware Courses is broadcast on the internet. :lol: (We disagree quite a lot as to the nature of the invites to these courses - but agree that if we went down a periodic skills upgrade/assessment route -then the COAST mark scheme would feature highly to benefit of all on the road across the varied skills range. :wink:

Anyway - my sisters have alerted me to this story from tonight's "Bolton News". Jazz knows this guy anyway on a professional footing. Her view? Dedicated to road safety. A no-nonsense bloke with what we call a "normal take on justice" :wink:

Bolton News wrote:

Road safety message goes to schools
By Amanda Smith
Comment | Read Comments (3)
A ROAD safety expert is set to pass on his message to young drivers from Bolton schools.

Adrian Shurmer, an ex-police officer who grew up in Doffcocker, has already worked with young stars at Bolton Wanderers and Manchester United to help them handle the fast cars that come with stardom.

He has also written a book called Mind How You Go, based on the theory that the driving mindset is more important than the physical skills.


Mr Shurmer now plans to visit schools in the area and pass on the message to teenagers learning to drive.

He has already spoken to Andy Mills, head of sixth form at Turton High School, about advising its youngsters.

Mr Shurmer, a former Devonshire Road Primary School pupil, aged 64, said: "Young people can relate to the theory because it is a lot like football - belief, discipline, self-assurance and composure.

"Anyone can have the physical skills but it is how you think that matters."

He worked for the police for 28 years and later became a driving instructor for 10, before developing a company promoting driver awareness.

He co-wrote the book with Steve O'Donnell, a business advisor from Astley Bridge who he met when he set up, and used it with Wanderers' young players.

Fran Walsh, the club's head of education and welfare, said: "Every now and again a book comes along that is unique and, at the same time, informative, practical, witty, thought provoking and potentially life-saving.

"I know how difficult it is to make an impression on young footballers who are starting out on a career that can bring them fame and considerable fortune.

"He had the lads hanging on his every word and was able to change their mindset with respect to their approach to driving"

Mr Shurmer has been teaching 17 to 19-year-olds at Wanderers' academy about how aggression and horseplay on the roads can lead to tragedy.





:bow:


Jazz has read this book. Her verdict?

One to have with pride on the bookshelf along with Steve Haley's excellent work :bow:


He's absolutely right to find something the kids - especially young lads - will relate to.

Jazz, (my most "rebellious" :lol: sister) ,says he has given talks to Year 12 at her School. (Not Turton High ;)) She says the boys and girls (as he gave the seminar to the combined Boys/Girls' Schools) seemed to latch on and understand him immediately as he "spoke in their language" :bow: and came across as "completely on their side but urging them to take heed of the dangers and the grown up responsibility that being in charge of a car/bike/bicycle require.

The bit I put in bold?

Why? Mr Paul Smith has said this in the past :wink:

_________________
If you want to get to heaven - you have to raise a little hell!

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:10 
Offline
User

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:27
Posts: 361
Mad Moggie wrote:
Jazz has read this book. Her verdict?

One to have with pride on the bookshelf along with Steve Haley's excellent work :bow:

He's absolutely right to find something the kids - especially young lads - will relate to.

Jazz, (my most "rebellious" :lol: sister) ,says he has given talks to Year 12 at her School. (Not Turton High ;)) She says the boys and girls (as he gave the seminar to the combined Boys/Girls' Schools) seemed to latch on and understand him immediately as he "spoke in their language" :bow: and came across as "completely on their side but urging them to take heed of the dangers and the grown up responsibility that being in charge of a car/bike/bicycle require.

Is this a book that is aimed at schoolchildren, novice drivers, adults or everyone?

(If anyone is interested, the cheapest place that it seems to be to get it is from on the internet is Blackwells)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 20:47 
Offline
User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 23:28
Posts: 1940
Icandoit wrote:
Mad Moggie wrote:
Jazz has read this book. Her verdict?

One to have with pride on the bookshelf along with Steve Haley's excellent work :bow:

He's absolutely right to find something the kids - especially young lads - will relate to.

Jazz, (my most "rebellious" :lol: sister) ,says he has given talks to Year 12 at her School. (Not Turton High ;)) She says the boys and girls (as he gave the seminar to the combined Boys/Girls' Schools) seemed to latch on and understand him immediately as he "spoke in their language" :bow: and came across as "completely on their side but urging them to take heed of the dangers and the grown up responsibility that being in charge of a car/bike/bicycle require.

Is this a book that is aimed at schoolchildren, novice drivers, adults or everyone?

(If anyone is interested, the cheapest place that it seems to be to get it is from on the internet is Blackwells)


According to Jazz und Ju Ju - my in-laws - this ist one serious book which would be helpful to everyone.

He aim at youngsters/young adults - but his points are just as valid to "experienced" per my sisters-in-law who are also Advanced Drivers - enthusiastic about their driving :lol:

_________________
Nicht ganz im Lot!
Ich setze mich immer wieder in die Nesseln! Der Mad Doc ist mein Mann! Und ich benutzte seinen PC!

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 20:51 
Offline
User

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:27
Posts: 361
WildCat wrote:
According to Jazz und Ju Ju - my in-laws - this ist one serious book which would be helpful to everyone.

Great, as I have already ordered it from my local book shop!

(Lets see if they can deliver any quicker than the South American rain forest or the dark water reservoir)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 17:56 
Offline
User

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:27
Posts: 361
Icandoit wrote:
I have already ordered it from my local book shop!

(Lets see if they can deliver any quicker than the South American rain forest or the dark water reservoir)

Quite a lot better as it happens - an email in my inbox this evening (arrived at 11:07am) saying the book is ready to be collected!

3 days from order to delivery - rather better than Amazon (Usually dispatched within 4 to 6 weeks and a £1.99 'sourcing' fee) or Blackwells (This item is currently not in stock but we will order it for you from the publisher, and it will usually be despatched within 3 to 9 days.) Still £12.99 and no postage to pay!

I'll collect it tomorrow.

Support your local bookshop!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:17 
Offline
User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 23:42
Posts: 3820
I concur that this book is a worthwhile addition and well worth reading.

:bow: to the authors. Plenty of good sense in that work.

_________________
Take with a chuckle or a grain of salt
Drive without COAST and it's all your own fault!

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!


Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:13 
Offline
User

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:27
Posts: 361
In Gear wrote:
I concur that this book is a worthwhile addition and well worth reading.

:bow: to the authors. Plenty of good sense in that work.

Yes. There is plenty of 'good sense' in there. Shame that parts of it are nearly smothered with condescending platitudes and some 'political' commentary.

I would not give this book to a new (young) driver to from read cover-to-cover as they (probably) would not bother with any more than the forward. I see the tone in that is patronising and hierarchical but I think the sections 2 through 6 do have a quantity of good sense in them (and some stonking errors!) but a number of drivers, both new and old, do know this stuff already.

The trouble is still how to get the ones that don't and (by default) are not ever likely to pick any book about driving well to understand it. That is not addressed by this book (or any others).

As a book it is not all bad, but it is not a great work. I don't see that there is much in it that is not already covered by the DSA's own Driving manual.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.923s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]