Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pass Plus for motorbikes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 15:38 
User

I have just passed my motorbike test via a DAS course. As good as the training by Think Bike was (which was excellent). I feel that there was something missing.

Just like the car test there was no motorway riding and due to the nature of the course no night time instruction. These are two big holes in the training available to us atm imo.

I know that a learner rider with a CBT on a 125 can ride at any time day or night. However there is no formal training, that I can find, where night riding is taught. You are effectively left to your own devices having completed a CBT.

I know the Pass Plus scheme was designed to improve the standard of driving amongst the newly qualified. But I do wonder why there has been no move toward a similar scheme for motorbikes.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 20:13 
User

Well, there's BikeSafe...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:14 
User

repiV wrote:
Well, there's BikeSafe...

BikeSafe courses are an 'assessment' of your riding and not actual 'training'.

theboxers, why not ask your trainers, who you obviously liked, for some further instruction in the areas you feel that you need?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:37 
User

I had intended to do additional training/assessment after a few months of riding anyway (like driving you can pick up bad habits quickly). BikeSafe does not seem to be targeted directly at "New" riders. As a way of finding out your faults it is a good thing it is there. Also training is advocated more for bikes than cars.

I just find it strange that the Pass Plus has no bike equivalent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:41 
User

theboxers wrote:
I just find it strange that the Pass Plus has no bike equivalent.

I guess that because there are a lot less bike test passes annually than cars and as the scheme would take some effort to organise the cost would be prohibitive.

Additionally the majority of those that do pass the bike test these days are already car drivers with some experience of night and motorway driving and might feel that they don't need the additional training.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 13:28 

theboxers wrote:
[...]But I do wonder why there has been no move toward a similar scheme for motorbikes.
I can strongly recommend you look into doing an IAM Motorcycle course & test, but only after you've been riding for a while... Which doesn't really help you at the moment. I'd ask one of your instructors for some additional training in the meantime...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 00:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I benefitted tremendously from a few trackdays and a race school believe it or not. Although you will not gain much advantage with regards to roadcraft per ce, you will learn more about bike setup, positioning (lines), motorcycle handling, throttle control,smoothness and as important, your own capabilities than many road courses on offer.