The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 00:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:29 
User

From the local paper

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news?articleid=3108013

Junction 'not dangerous enough'

PLEAS for road safety improvements at a busy junction are set to be rejected by Sheffield Council today – after highways bosses decided the site was not dangerous enough.
People living in the Wharncliffe Side area of Sheffield collected 186 signatures on a petition urging changes at the junction of the A6102 Manchester Road and More Hall Lane, between the village and Deepcar.

They called for an extension of double white lines to prevent overtaking on Manchester Road, a reduction in the speed limit from 60mph to 40mph, the creation of a bay at the side of the road for buses to stop without blocking the carriageway, and vegetation to be cut back to improve visibility.

But officials from Sheffield Council’s development services department, who were asked to consider making the changes, have stated: “There are many other areas of Sheffield experiencing a much higher rate of injury accidents to adults and children.

“These locations will be given priority for road safety measures.”

A report to the city’s West and North Planning and Highways area board recommends no changes are made at the junction. Highways officers’ research found only three accidents happened in the last five years in which people were slightly injured. There were no serious collisions.

A lack of passengers using the bus stop meant the cost of creating a bay was not justified, while extension of double white lines was not supported by police, they said. The speed limit was deemed “appropriate for the type of road”.

Officers said people concerned about over-growing vegetation should report the matter to the council’s Street Force department so it could be cut back.

Members of the planning and highways board were due to vote on whether to approve the recommendation about the junction at a meeting this afternoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 02:46 
User

I don't know the area, but may I say that when accidents occur, that the home location of the driver should be recorded.

Why? Because there MAY be something wrong with the sign-age........

It's always too easy to blame drivers at: "dangerous junctions" etc. But I've seen many a badly signed junction which would confuse a stranger to the area.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 06:57 
Life Member
Life Member

I can see that someone driving the main road coud say there is nothing wrong with that junction, I can see the queue of cars waiting to pull out.

The locals would say , that junction is realy hard to find a gap. something must be done.

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 20:40 

steelhead4 wrote:
From the local paper

People living in the Wharncliffe Side area of Sheffield called for <snip> the creation of a bay at the side of the road for buses to stop without blocking the carriageway.
Maybe this is where you went wrong. The bus stop would reduce congestion, so cannot be permitted.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 03:43 
User

MrsMiggins wrote:
steelhead4 wrote:
From the local paper

People living in the Wharncliffe Side area of Sheffield called for <snip> the creation of a bay at the side of the road for buses to stop without blocking the carriageway.
Maybe this is where you went wrong. The bus stop would reduce congestion, so cannot be permitted.

"Ha! Haaa!"....... to quote a famous comic "Radio Norwich" DJ character....... :)
You spotted the deliberate council traffic jamming (er sorry! .. "calming" ploy)......

All in the name of "Safety" you know..........(God knows how?) :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 23:28 
User

The problem is this:

People hit by cars are not people they are Anonymised Data Units. Or some such phrase.

If they think of little Jimmy Smith being run into by a driver confused by poor markings, bad signs and a nasty road surface, they will think: "My God! How awful! We must get that junction sorted out!"

But if little Jimmy Smith is reduced to -say- 5.2% of casualty statistics for the area, they will think: "My God! Aren't we wonderful?! We have managed to get the accident figures reduced to 5.2%! Yay us!"

And, of course, that junction can wait. There's a far more important Councillor and officer junket to Japan for the International Road Safety Congress where they can learn how other countries deal with road safety issues to be funded...