Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 16:29 
New User
New User

Hi, i am a student at the University of Strathclyde (Glasgow) and i am looking for volunteers to come into the university to take part in a study into driving behaviour and driving attitudes and how this affects a drivers hazard perception. It takes 30 mins to complete and i'm hoping to shed some light as to why boy racers continue to drive in such a hazardously.

If there is anyone who has held their driving licence for 3 years or more who would be interested please please please let me know.

Thanks

Louise Gibson

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 16:32 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Hi Louise.

louisegibson wrote:
...........why boy racers continue to drive in such a hazardously.

Are you trying to imply some link? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 16:51 
Site Admin

louisegibson wrote:
Hi, i am a student at the University of Strathclyde (Glasgow) and i am looking for volunteers to come into the university to take part in a study into driving behaviour and driving attitudes...

I'll do that. I'm in North Scotland, but frequently pass Glasgow on trips 'down south'.

What dates are available?

I can also give you quite a few simple rational explanations for driver behaviour. If there is a true 'boy racer' group, they are the ones who have acquired confidence before experience. They don't know the risks they take because their hazard perception hasn't developed as quickly as other parts of the drivers' skill set. (And that's not unusual - good hazard perception takes years to acquire.)

Last edited by SafeSpeed on Thu Jul 12, 2007 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 16:53 
User

Sorry, s'a bit far north for me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 17:08 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bit far for me to, but I would interested in the form the study takes, it can't be done remotely I gather.

Upton Sinclair

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 19:31 
User

SafeSpeed wrote:
louisegibson wrote:
Hi, i am a student at the University of Strathclyde (Glasgow) and i am looking for volunteers to come into the university to take part in a study into driving behaviour and driving attitudes...

I'll do that. I'm in North Scotland, but frequently pass Glasgow on trips 'down south'.

What dates are available?

I can also give you quite a few simple rational explanations for driver behaviour. If there is a true 'boy racer' group, they are the ones who have acquired confidence before experience. They don't know the risks they take because their hazard perception hasn't developed as quickly as other parts of the drivers' skill set. (And that's not unusual - good hazard perception takes years to acquire.)

And, in all fairness, they are mostly quite skilled! (otherwise casualty levels would be *far* higher than they actually are!)

They are the same personality type who went out to confront the Luftwaffe in aircraft made out of wood and canvess afer only 25 hours (or so) of training and actually won!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 20:54 

I'm in Glasgow. What do you need and when?

Although if you think you're going to find a load of 'boy racers' in these forums I'm afraid you'll be disappointed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 23:55 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

louisegibson wrote:
Hi, i am a student at the University of Strathclyde (Glasgow) and i am looking for volunteers to come into the university to take part in a study into driving behaviour and driving attitudes and how this affects a drivers hazard perception. It takes 30 mins to complete and i'm hoping to shed some light as to why boy racers continue to drive in such a hazardously.

If there is anyone who has held their driving licence for 3 years or more who would be interested please please please let me know.

Surely by definition "boy racers" are unlikely to have held a driving licence for 3 years or more :roll:

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 20:54 
User

no point in me doing it. i know what im doing on the road so i dont represent the general motoring public :twisted: :lol:

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:01 
Gold Member
Gold Member

:welcome: louisegibson

When does the humble 'habitual speeder' become a boy racer?

Is there a definaition of a boy racer?

Can girls be boy racers - a girl racer? (I come across more of them these days, unless it's men in drag)

Good luck with your findings.

Be mindful of 'experimenters bias'. :wink:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Last edited by Big Tone on Thu Aug 23, 2007 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 13:20 

I'm up in Glasgow fairly regularly, but I can't do anything inside working hours. If this sort of thing can be done after work, I've no objection to popping in for half an hour or so.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 01:26 
Gold Member
Gold Member

louisegibson wrote:

Thanks

Louise Gibson

[My bold]

You seem to be implying that this site is rich in 'boy racers' for your study, so you have struck out badly to start with. I would also be interested to know which degree you are reading, as English seems to play a very minor part in it...

Licat volare si super tergum aquila volat...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:13 
User

Calm down - I imagine she was trying to quickly encapsulate the point of the study by naming a problem we are all aware of. All the points raised above by everyone are no doubt the kinds of things that the study will be aiming to address.

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 23:49 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ian M wrote:
Calm down - I imagine she was trying to quickly encapsulate the point of the study by naming a problem we are all aware of. All the points raised above by everyone are no doubt the kinds of things that the study will be aiming to address.

Ian

Yeah, I know. Went straight into Grumpy Old Git mode. Have apologised to her in a PM...

:stupidme:

Licat volare si super tergum aquila volat...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 18:36 
User

I smell trolls.....;)

Believe nothing- Question everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 21:48 

DeltaF wrote:
I smell trolls.....;)

It does seem a bit strange that the OP hasn't replied. Either it's trolling or it's a little rude. I suppose anyone who wants to find out for sure could probably ascertain whether there's anyone called Louise Gibson at that university. Thereagain it wouldn't be beyond some of our non-powered two-wheeled friends to use another person's name.

Just think how nice it would be if we could take these posts at face value instead of having to wonder whether it's a troll. I bet the Knitting Monthly forum doesn't have that problem; what can we do to become more like them (assuming they actually exist)?

"The freedom provided by the motor vehicle is not universally applauded, however: there are those who resent the loss of state control over individual choice that the car represents. Such people rarely admit their prejudices openly; instead, they make false or exaggerated claims about the adverse effects of road transport in order to justify calls for higher taxation or restrictions on mobility." (Conservative Way Forward: Stop The War Against Drivers)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 22:24 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

bombus wrote:
It does seem a bit strange that the OP hasn't replied. Either it's trolling or it's a little rude. I suppose anyone who wants to find out for sure could probably ascertain whether there's anyone called Louise Gibson at that university.

I did just that some time ago - and found her.
I emailed her to ask about her lack of response, I got a reply containing only my original message - most strange. I left it at that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 08:27 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I had a pm in response to my post on this subject. I hope Loise doesn't mind if I post it here in order to help clarify her request.

louisegibson wrote:
Hi there, sorry the study can't be done remotely, it envolves monitoring galvanic skin responces. my hypothesis is that dangerous drivers have less anticipatory galvanic skin responces. research has already shown that these build up through experience and that learner drivers have significantly less than experienced drivers when it comes to watching hazards. My research looks at the posibility that the dangerous drivers take longer to build up these anticipatory galvanic responces. I hope that answers your question.

thanks

louise

Doesn't seem at all trollish to me, although I'm not qualified to comment on the research she is undertaking.

Cheers

Paul

Upton Sinclair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 01:00 

:scratchchin:

anticipatory galvanic skin responses?

when i was in uni it was concrete, steel, muck and :drink2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 01:05 

http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/omd?galvanic+skin+reaction

this is what its all about

still i'm a little concerned about being percived a member of a boyracer experimental farm......does PETA know about this?....FFS I drive a Volvo Diesel Estate.