Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 21:41 
User

What fascinating ideas. :lol:

Going back to the original topic, of course what the "research" doesn't take into account would be any alteration in the volume of traffic. Which could make a big difference to any results.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 21:50 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Flying Dodo wrote:
What fascinating ideas. :lol:

Going back to the original topic, of course what the "research" doesn't take into account would be any alteration in the volume of traffic. Which could make a big difference to any results.

That is the case with all of the data provided by the camera partnerships - which is what the bloke here used in his "research" (use of quotes to belittle I see) - it doesn't stop them drawing positive conclusion from it - why is it somehow different when someone draws negative conclusions?

to sink your ship of fools

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 22:11 
User

From the available information posted, it doesn't make any reference to traffic volumes, hence my issue about the validity of any research.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 22:23 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Flying Dodo wrote:
From the available information posted, it doesn't make any reference to traffic volumes, hence my issue about the validity of any research.

It that case - you have a point. There is an argument (unproven) that cameras cause drivers to take other routes which both decreases traffic on the camera route and increases it elsewhere. The relationship between traffic volume and accidents is complex anyway...

to sink your ship of fools

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 23:13 
User

prof beard wrote:
Flying Dodo wrote:

It that case - you have a point. There is an argument (unproven) that cameras cause drivers to take other routes which both decreases traffic on the camera route and increases it elsewhere. The relationship between traffic volume and accidents is complex anyway...

Speed cameras are often placed on wide, straight roads were people can be tempted to do a little more than the posted limit. Especially if there's a hill which might help to speed things up.

So car drivers are then tempted to make their journeys on other, perhaps less suitable and potentially less safe routes, perhaps?

So the "Safety" Partnerships might be displacing volumes of traffic and thus decreasing the safety of road users and others? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 23:24 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Thatsnews wrote:

So car drivers are then tempted to make their journeys on other, perhaps less suitable and potentially less safe routes, perhaps?

Human nature, especially as you can enjoy the drive without worry about blipping.

Thatsnews wrote:
So the "Safety" Partnerships might be displacing volumes of traffic and thus decreasing the safety of road users and others? :roll:

But by reducing the volume, they might reduce the number of hits and so be able to claim that they have (by inference of reduced infringements) reduced speeding (and by their twisted logic improved safety )
:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 00:42 
User

botach wrote:
Thatsnews wrote:

Human nature, especially as you can enjoy the drive without worry about blipping.

Thatsnews wrote:

But by reducing the volume, they might reduce the number of hits and so be able to claim that they have (by inference of reduced infringements) reduced speeding (and by their twisted logic improved safety )
:twisted:

And, at the same time, actually REDUCED road safety in the surrounding area!!!

My God! :o THEN they can claim: "But there are STILL lots of accidents! How can we fix this?? Why, with more speed cameras, of course!" :shock: :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 01:04 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Thatsnews wrote:
Quote:

Shush - you heretic -don't you know cameras only improve road safety ( or so the SCP say ):shock:

Thatsnews wrote:
My God! :o THEN they can claim: "But there are STILL lots of accidents! How can we fix this?? Why, with more speed cameras, of course!" :shock: :o

Page1, chapter 1 of the SCP training manual ,under the subheading -never let a golden opportunity go by :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 02:29 
User

botach wrote:
Thatsnews wrote:
Quote:

Shush - you heretic -don't you know cameras only improve road safety ( or so the SCP say ):shock:

Thatsnews wrote:

Page1, chapter 1 of the SCP training manual ,under the subheading -never let a golden opportunity go by :roll:

:thumbsup: :clap1:

I think I get the hang of this SCP training manual, now!

The first two chapters:-

Chapter 1: Common-sense and how to lose it

Chapter 2: You conscience and how to ignore it :lol: