Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 02:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What's the point??
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 21:28 
User

My home town of Aberdare seems to have moved into the new age of technology. Im not sure what you call them, but we've had our first sign that tells you how fast you are travelling. It isnt near a school or anywhere of use. It is just outside the town centre in a built up area just after a bend near a junction on a very busy road. What has actaully been achieved is a disaster. The local boy racers are now haring around the corner to see who can clock up the best speed. Money well spent? I could understand putting it in an accident blackspot or near a school etc, but this just baffles me? Has anyone else got these things, and are they better used?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 21:35 

Seen them used as a temporary measure then get removed.
They have a short-term effect of making drivers think 'oops' and slow down, but it is rather temporary.

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 21:38 
User

Rigpig wrote:
Seen them used as a temporary measure then get removed.
They have a short-term effect of making drivers think 'oops' and slow down, but it is rather temporary.

Im sure some drivers think like that, but our saxo sqaud seem to love it! I'd be interested in finding out how much it cost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 22:21 
User

Oddly enough I have a mate who is a bit of a speed freak. When he saw one of those 'magic signs' his reaction was: "Oh, %&^$! That's me! I'd better slow down."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 09:40 
Life Member
Life Member

Apparently if you go fast enough past one set to 40, it just comes up with "E", presumably for error.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 14:51 

Ah, random number generators. Only once have I seen one which generated a number which was anywhere like the speed I was doing. And that was in the New Forest. And it diverted my attention away from the direction sign I was looking at so by the time I realised what the flashing was I was too close to the sign to see it for long enough so I had to almost stop at the junction and read the other signs.

In a 30 limit they don't seem to work over 40mph. Or one I tried a few times didn't... :twisted: There's probably a user-settable upper cut-off speed.

They are a good demonstration of how inaccurate radar readings can be. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 20:14 
User

Here in the USA, they are very accurate.
They are used primarily in the vicinity of hospitals, churches, schools, etc.
They are data recorders. They don't just indicate how fast one is going, they also record this information for later study - how many cars were going how many MpH at what time of day.
No incriminating evidence is recorded.

However, there are enough people who slow down because they believe that cops will use this info against them, thus skewing the traffic flow data collected (observer effect indeed).

(edit)Not only are cops are forbidden from 'camping' at such displays, but to my knowledge, no such display has been used as evidence against a driver for any vehicular charges.(/edit)

In other words, for now, we are merely being watched like lab rats.

2) Nothing gets hit, except to protect others; see Rule#1
3) The Laws of Physics are invincible and immutable - so-called 'laws' of men are not
4) You are always immediately and ultimately responsible for your safety first, then proximately responsible for everyone's
Do not let other road users' mistakes become yours, nor yours become others
5) The rest, including laws of the land, is thoughtful observation, prescience, etiquette, decorum, and cooperation

Last edited by The Rush on Mon Jan 14, 2008 20:20, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 02:20 

The Rush wrote:
Here in the USA, they are very accurate.

Not the one I saw in Florida which was flashing up random numbers even when nobody was driving past!

They are probably generally more accurate over there due to having better roads and less metal, walls, barriers, etc. around them.