Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 02:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 23:22 
User

Smeggy.. I implore you.. post up your cycling troll :lol:

I not use Handy when I drive. I not understand this slavery or reliance on them. It a telephone. I have voice mail on Handy. I have voice mail on landline. (Landline currently hi-jacked by kittens :roll: Emergency lines are never to be revealed und never used by us for "privates".

But there means to hear a missed call from a pal. Not life/death matter either. I do not understand the desire to be at whim of another person for naffest reason either. :roll:

I use COAST values. I think this keep me safe und generally legal
too. :lol:

I think "Rush" one of nicest sensiblest I read for a while :bow: :love:

We kindred spirits across that puddle called Atlantic Ocean :love:

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 02:11 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rigpig wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
Every troll I have had the misfortune to encounter here do not care about safety!!

Wow Tone, you put it bold so it must be right eh? :wink:
So c'mon mate, tell me exactly how you know this. How do you know that someone who comes on this forum to disagree with the SS campaign, and has the temerity to be persistent in their stance (which is what usually results in the 'troll' tag let’s face it), doesn't actually care about safety?
After all, it’s one heck of a wild accusation isn't it, bearing in mind that the majority of ,er, trolls will be road users in one form or another. Seems a bit strange to not care about road safety when they are as likely as anyone else to be a victim of road safety failures!

Oh dear. I feel slighted by someone I respect - and it hurts. I thought you knew me better Rigpig but oh well.

The bold is just to highlight the part with which I am bothered most about or simply want to highlight to emphasise or draw attention to the part to which I refer in the dialogue. (scuse the English. It's late and I'm tired)

Every troll I have seen here comes on with the argument that slower is better; speed cameras save lives, and on and on...

My understanding of Safe Speed, and the reason I joined, is that a safe speed is about the environment and circumstances. Not just about the fallacious ‘life-saving’ money-grabbing addenda, but about making our roads safer.

I've said it before but if someone submits real proof from an accurate impartial source that the reason people are being killed or seriously injured on our roads is because of excessive speed then I will abandon Safe Speed or anything else if it helps save the pain suffering and misery I have witnessed.

But I don’t believe that to be the case and it’s why I joined SS and why I’m still here.

If it came down to something as simple as speed kills and that anyone who speeds is putting others in danger then surely there would be no concessions for anyone; police/ambulance/fire services etc.

No troll has ever come on here and said “yeah, they can do 60/70 mph in a 30 mph limit safely”. Correct me if I am wrong? But do you think these professionals don’t have accidents? I know they do but I guess that’s an acceptable speeding/killing offence; a casualty which is worth the risk for the greater good. :roll:

People matter more to me than a campaign or a government or an advertisement. They can all lie and they do! People and political parties can lie. I am telling it as it is. We live in a world replete with bullshit! So exactly what is anyone supposed to believe? How much proof is enough? Well money helps and so does power but have we forsaken truth? That’s how it feels to me.

In my case, I believe what I see and hear in my work and personal life and it’s a very hard pill to swallow. (Oh here he goes again).

Yes - here I go again.

I'm burning out and I feel I have earned the right to say I'm burning out and I am sick to the back teeth of bullshit! I don't expect others to understand where I am coming from so I’ll keep it as short as I can now.

If I am not welcome here I will gladly disappear. But I will not dessert my values as someone who is genuinely concerned about safety, which I know is not just about speed!

The trolls I have seen here are all about speed and slowing everything down, ostensibly for safety’s sake.

I will continue to do my best for as long as I can and for all the right reasons...

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 06:36 
User

Rigpig wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
Every troll I have had the misfortune to encounter here does not care about safety!!
How do you know that someone who comes on this forum to disagree with the SS campaign, and has the temerity to be persistent in their stance (which is what usually results in the 'troll' tag lets face it), doesn't actually care about safety?
After all, its one heck of a wild accusation isn't it, bearing in mind that the majority of ,er, trolls will be road users in one form or another. Seems a bit strange to not care about road safety when they are as likely as anyone else to be a victim of road safety failures!
Many people cannot separate some of their opinions from their identity without feeling pain or loss or insecurity.
Many others would still prefer to believe that the government is not playing with the numbers, or using them, for that matter.

To those who wish to profit from the masses, duhmbasses are a resource, like tools.

Getting angry at a submachine gun is not nearly as productive as getting angry at the guy shooting it at you.

Better yet, kill the person manipulating the shooter. The one generating and distributing and spewing new half-truths and lies.

I'm not saying that anyone is paying the 'trolls' so that they don't have to be here. Nor am I accusing the majority of the 'trolls' of any ulterior motives. The majority of those convinced that we are wrong are merely a welcome side effect for the current proponents of road 'safety' policy.

Remember: If we succeed in improving road safety policy, the vast majority of the so-called trolls will simply become our mouthpieces. The ones we really have to worry about are those who seek to profit from reasonable, prudent, 85th %ile behaviors.

Scott Adams wrote:
Most people think the root of their disagreement is that the other person has bad judgement or bad manners or bad values. If you spend time arguing about the faultiness of other people or their opinions, you waste your time and theirs.
Examine the differences in your assumptions and add to each other's info. Sometimes that is enough to make viewpoints converge over time.

2) Nothing gets hit, except to protect others; see Rule#1
3) The Laws of Physics are invincible and immutable - so-called 'laws' of men are not
4) You are always immediately and ultimately responsible for your safety first, then proximately responsible for everyone's
Do not let other road users' mistakes become yours, nor yours become others
5) The rest, including laws of the land, is thoughtful observation, prescience, etiquette, decorum, and cooperation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 07:44 
User

Big Tone wrote:
Every troll I have seen here comes on with the argument that slower is better; speed cameras save lives, and on and on...

You see, you've got your definition of a troll wrong IMO.

A troll is somebody who goes onto a BB and specifically makes posts DESIGNED to disrupt, i.e. they do not believe what they post, they just post what they think is going to disrupt the community.

A troll is not somebody you simply disagree with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll#Usage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 07:48 
User

Big Tone wrote:
I've said it before but if someone submits real proof from an accurate impartial source that the reason people are being killed or seriously injured on our roads is because of excessive speed then I will abandon Safe Speed or anything else if it helps save the pain suffering and misery I have witnessed.

But I don’t believe that to be the case and it’s why I joined SS and why I’m still here.

You need absolute proof for the stated former, but simply just "believe" the implied latter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 08:37 
User

weepej wrote:
Big Tone wrote:

You need absolute proof for the stated former, but simply just "believe" the implied latter?

Ach! There no "absolute proof" of KSI down to speed. Other than "official stats" which when broken down strongly suggest prome cause due to series of errors in COAST skills or drunk or drugged. :banghead:

Blaming speed far too easy und easy revenue raiser which not require bibs too. Maximum profit und no police actually freed up to sleuthe other crimes either. (I'd say the Waily's series on state of police services und "fear of not meeting government targets" ist for once striking bullseye target. :wink:

But how accurate are these targets? :scratchchin:

Officially NHS waiting lists are down und folk are being treated quickly

In reality .. opposite ist happening. :banghead:

Officially fire engine und ambulance crews are not being attacked by yobs as often.

An Union FOI request from a different government source point otherwise.

Officially stats say KSI down. Hospital A&E stats say they unchanged from the 80s in actual numbers treated. :popcorn:

Believe this government? Spinned deceit across the board?

Er.. no. I think even the Stunsational paper has a shorter nose :wink:

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 09:30 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:
Big Tone wrote:

You see, you've got your definition of a troll wrong IMO.

A troll is somebody who goes onto a BB and specifically makes posts DESIGNED to disrupt, i.e. they do not believe what they post, they just post what they think is going to disrupt the community.

A troll is not somebody you simply disagree with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll#Usage

I know. I've never objected to, or called someone a troll, just because I disagree with them. I think there's only one person on SS I have ever directly called a troll, gatsos forever, who believes we are terrorists and murderers and ignored my posts. I'm glad he's disappeared now.

weepej wrote:
Big Tone wrote:

No. There should have been proof and research that cameras work before the widespread use/abuse. The revenue generated should be poured into better training and real safey measures, not just fill the chancellors pocket!

What's happening is the very reverse of what you have just said to me weepej IMO. People believe speed cameras are working and they don't need absolute proof. If 'they' say they are working then it must be true. The masses are being duped into believing speed kills when it is bad judgement which kills. If speed kills then I should have died or killed someone a very long time ago.

I said it just the other day, and I'm not trying to put him above anyone else, but what is the point of prosecuting a middle-aged consultant doctor of rehab with an long distinguished career and safe driving record, untill recently, (someone who intimately knows and cares about KSI amongst other things), for 33 mph in a 30 limit? I see these things happening all the time lately.

Do you believe he needed to learn this lesson after 37 years of good safe driving? Do you believe society is better and safer for it? Do you believe it's good for relations between the public and police?

I don't!

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 09:47 

Look Tone, I have no desire to cause you offence and apologise for the sarcastic way I opened that last past. That said, I feel it is important that sweeping statements such as 'the trolls don't care about safety' is in need of some exploration. IMHO such a statement is an attempt to gain the moral highground, i.e. they don't care about safety but (by implication) we do.

Big Tone wrote:
The trolls I have seen here are all about speed and slowing everything down, ostensibly for safety’s sake.

Thats as maybe, but that doesn't mean they dont care about safety does it? It just means that they believe that one way to achieve it is to slow everyone down.

Big Tone wrote:
If I am not welcome here I will gladly disappear. But I will not dessert my values as someone who is genuinely concerned about safety, which I know is not just about speed!

Well I hope we are all welcome, but c'mon mate you surely don't come here and expect everything you say to go unchalleneged do you?

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:10 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Soz Rigpig

Maybe I shouldn't post when it's late and when tired. I am over-sensitive and my job certainly doesn't help. So perhaps a knee-jerk reaction on my part :oops: (just re-read it. Definately :oops: )

I'm off to see two people now. The one man, I have seen before, has half his head missing, from the eyebrows up. :yikes: If you saw it you wouldn't believe it possible to still be alive and able to talk (just)

Not speed - bad judgement. 'Didn't see you mate'. I have asked him, as I do all people I meet from road accidents.

Gotta go. Back later...