Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 23:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 18:05 
User

:gatso2:

Learner drivers preparing to take their tests on the Isle of Man may soon have to pass an extra exam.
The computer-based hazard perception test is currently being developed and could be a requirement by autumn.

It is currently being fine-tuned with the Department of Transport by Liam Hoey of MJH Data Systems

If it gets the go-ahead this test, along with the theory and practical examinations, will make it a three-stage process in future.

Mr Hoey said: "Basically you are presented with a video on the screen, and you use the mouse to click on the screen when you identify a developing hazard.

"It is very important to spot the difference between a potential hazard and a developing hazard.

He added: "For example you might see somebody running down a pavement, and at that point it is a potential hazard.

"Then maybe you'll see a bus across the road, with it's indicator on, and maybe that person makes a gesture that you think, it's going to go into the road, and it is at that point that it turns into a developing hazard."

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 01:50 

Quote:
Mr Hoey said: "Basically you are presented with a video on the screen, and you use the mouse to click on the screen when you identify a developing hazard.

Note the word "when" not "where". You just press a button, the use of the mouse infers that you have to click somewhere near the 'hazard', which apparently you don't at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 14:24 

Yes I took the hazard awareness test here a couple of years ago (had a car license for years but needed it for a bike license).

IMO it bears no relation to road safety at all. I lost points on the dummy run for clicking the mouse (ie noticing the hazard) too early !!! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 14:33 
User

bad company wrote:
IMO it bears no relation to road safety at all. I lost points on the dummy run for clicking the mouse (ie noticing the hazard) too early !!! :?

Yep. There are many stories of people who've been driving for a while failing because of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 06:26 
User

I've only had a very brief experience of this kind of thing myself from an employers test. It's obviously B*ll*cks!..... but

There are people behind all this who are trying to understand the human mind....
And once they do.......They can control YOU!

And from what I can see, so far, they're doing a very good job at controlling what people think.....

Should they perfect it.......they've got George Orwells 1984........a very apt date, IMO.

He only got one thing wrong. It wasn't your Big "Brother" that you needed to worry about....it was your; Big Sister.....