Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 05:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 22:14 
User

:gatso2: Interesting programme on Channel 4 now. The Woman Who Stops Traffic. A blonde tells the people of Marlow to give up using their cars one day per week. Or the roads will be gridlocked in ten years time...or something like that. Apparently she's a professional problem solver! :lol:

Repeated again on Channel 4+1 later.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 23:04 
Gold Member
Gold Member

How much later? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 23:07 
User

:gatso2: Repeat showing started at 10pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 23:43 
Life Member
Life Member

I've just finished watching it, and i must admit Marlow did look like automotive purgatory and a town I would avoid driving in. It's like Pershore; a lovely little town, but the traffic?!?!? Jeez! I was there for a first aider course some years ago, and every day I was looking at the road atlas in the college car park trying to find a way around the town centre. I never found an alternative route.

I suppose I'm like most driving enthusiasts, really; my life is too bloody short to be stuck in stationary traffic and treating driving as a chore (which is why I'm looking forward to the next Shrops PH Hoon when it happens).

Just today, I was visiting a new project about to start near Aylesbury and the drive down there is pretty agreeable apart from that section of the M42 past Solihull; the '41 from Bicester to Woodham - that's nice. Compared with my other site in Selly Oak (which is a f!!cking nightmare to get to even from the Kingswinford office), it's a joy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 14:25 
User

:gatso2: Another edition at 9pm tonight on Channel 4. Apparently she's trying to solve some problem in Boston, Lincolnshire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 20:53 
Life Member
Life Member

What Boston needs is a ring road. Two major A roads intersect in its heart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 23:12 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is the title a misnomer? Does she actually stop any traffic? Perhaps Queen Cnut would be more appropriate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 00:40 
User

malcolmw wrote:
Is the title a misnomer? Does she actually stop any traffic? Perhaps Queen Cnut would be more appropriate.

If mis-spelt !

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 01:46 
User

SigmaMotion wrote:
Just today, I was visiting a new project about to start near Aylesbury and the drive down there is pretty agreeable apart from that section of the M42 past Solihull; the '41 from Bicester to Woodham - that's nice. Compared with my other site in Selly Oak (which is a f!!cking nightmare to get to even from the Kingswinford office), it's a joy.

Shame they want to lower the speed limit of the A41 (and all the other SC roads surrounding Aylesbury) to 50, so glad I moved away from there.

Please tell me your project isn't anything to do with the stupid bunch of new homes they're building on that flood plane. The road network and car parking around Aylesbury is bad enough it is and all the work (and interesting shops) are to be found in Milton Keynes and Oxford, so the commuting is hell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 20:08 
Life Member
Life Member

I caught (an episode?) of this, and while I found some of the womans methods pretty vulgar and underhand (such as brainwashing schoolchildren) she did have a good point. Obvioulsy the location chosen lent itself to her aims as well, unlike 95% of the country, such as it had a quiet green cycle lane from the estate to the town. It strikes me as madness that in such a instance people will sit in traffic going to work, sit in traffic driving home, then go to the gym to do keep fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 22:43 
User

TV - SO heavily edited that it just is not true. :popcorn:

Series was skewed to one rose tinted and unrealistic to idealistic side of the equation. :popcorn:

I live in rural idyll. I do not wear rose tinted glasses. I live with reality.

I know how all really behave as a result :popcorn: and it is not nice comment either :popcorn: so I leave you to think without spelling out here :wink: :popcorn:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:15 
User

hairyben wrote:
It strikes me as madness that in such a instance people will sit in traffic going to work, sit in traffic driving home, then go to the gym to do keep fit.

This is the kind of thing I have to deal with on a day to day basis, and logic never seems to enter into it! I think the car is see as a convenience. Fullstop. Therefore even in the situations where car transport is blatantly the least convenient option (e.g. 250yd walk to the local shops), the mindset is: "hop in the car, it'll be quicker".

As an aside, Kris does come across as patronising and superior, she doesn't seem to have much empathy and her diplomatic skills aren't too hot either. Even if her are arguments are logical, thought out and make sense, the delivery left a lot to be desired. IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:23 
User

Mad Moggie wrote:
TV - SO heavily edited that it just is not true. :popcorn:

That's true, Bucks County Council have done some great work in the area of Travel Planning, but they weren't mentioned once. The programme tried to present itself as original and unique, this kind of thing has been happening for quite a few years now in various parts of the country.

Mad Moggie wrote:
Series was skewed to one rose tinted and unrealistic to idealistic side of the equation. :popcorn:

Oh I don't know about that, they picked places that have traffic problems and tried to resolve them...

Mad Moggie wrote:
I live in rural idyll. I do not wear rose tinted glasses. I live with reality.

...your rural idyll probably doesn't have the same traffic pressures as more urban areas, it also probably doesn't have the relevant public transport links or pedestrian/cycle facilities that would enable folk to make different travel choices. I'm not sure it is any more "real" (or less rose tinited!) than Marlow or the other places the programme was shot in. It's just you choose to live somewhere different, that's all.

Mad Moggie wrote:
I know how all really behave as a result :popcorn: and it is not nice comment either :popcorn: so I leave you to think without spelling out here :wink: :popcorn:

I think you'll have to spell this one out MM, I'm confused about this bit????