The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 00:53 
User

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/Parents39-20mph-protest-set-to.4338848.jp
Quote:
Parents' 20mph protest set to fail
Protesting parents look likely to have their bid to slash the speed limit outside a school turned down.
Mums and dads of pupils at Copp Lane Primary, Great Eccleston, near Garstang, fear children could be killed if hit by a car on Copp Lane, where the limit is 40mph.

Around 100 parents and pupils marched along the road last month to show support for a 20mph limit.

A similar number signed a petition backing the reduced speed on the road.

But roads chiefs at the county council have now recommended the limit should stay the same as nobody has been killed or seriously injured on the road in the last five years.

Their new report reads: "The county council is currently carrying out a review of speed limits on all A and B class roads.

"Until that review has been completed, the speed limits on C class roads and other roads (such as Copp Lane] are not being assessed unless there are a significant number of casualties arising from road crashes."

Councillors on the Wyre Lancashire Local committee will consider the speed limit at a meeting tonight

Oh dear, an outbreak of common sense, or not appreciating the potential for an accident?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 07:43 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I fear you may be misinterpreting the statement made by the Council.

What they said was: "We won't waste our time and money looking at this now when we are doing a full review of all roads later."

The statement does not quite say, as the reporter has assumed, "the limit should stay the same".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 04:16 
User

Yup!.. Never mind the Stats......(stir up the mothers) .......and feel the cash!

P.S. 'bout time that they did something about the 1,000+ individually chaufeured kids in cars blocking the carriageway which any other motorist would be done for..... I've never seen double yellows outside a school yet! (or a taxi office for that matter, but that's another rant)........

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 22:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Draco wrote:
(or a taxi office for that matter, but that's another rant)........

High on list of places to stick them is on lay bye outside toilets . :lol: :lol: ( well those that i've seen round the midlands anyway )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 21:43 
Site Admin

I agree, I think they are looking to change many limits in this comment, and although we may hope that common sense will prevail, and changes made after all other engineering solutions have been sought, (inc limit reviews), then make all appropriate a changes, if that are truly and solidly 'going to make a real safety difference' and 'solve' real problems.

All needless alteration to any limit, is of great concern, as it adds to the ever growing increase to the dumbing down of our road structure.

The blind belief shown by the public is very disturbing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 13:21 

Unfortunately individuals are intellegent but people are stupid.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 18:09 
User

No.
The public are brainwashed to the point where saying anything against the edicts of The Great Media and Government is sacrilege.
In any case, you are, again, thinking that the local gov is run by fools. All becomes clear when you change your viewpoint to this: Their aim is to get you out of your car and onto any form of transport that restricts your ability to go anywhere you like, when you like. In fact, make you extremely controllable.
Let's face it, if you were forced to drive at 40mph everywhere while buses went past you, in their dedicated lanes, you would think again about driving. And when the car-park tax and pay-as-you-drive tax come, as they will, and your driving costs go through the roof; you will use what you can afford. While those with money and power drive past you, waiting in the rain at the vandalised bus stop.

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 21:32 
User

I know this area very well and although, like any sensible person, would like to see 'appropriate' speed around an area where young people are at school, I feel that maybe the people complaining about the speed should look at how and where they park their cars delivering the children to the school. In my opinion, to even get to the speed of 40mph when children are coming out around this area, would be a mission in itself.
Cars are parked on both sides of the road and make passing through difficult. It is hard to see should a child 'run out' and motorists take chances moving through the parked cars.
As a mother and grandmother of course we want safe roads for our children, but the added frustration of speed limit may not actually help this area. I have seen before how motorists adhere to teh limit while passing the schools and accelerate further up the road only to take risks near children who are walking home yards up the road.
Not sure I ahve the answer, but felt should comment as live very near.