Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 04:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:44 
User

Mole wrote:
But they don't "opt out of overtaking" by maintaining a narrow gap - they "opt OTHER PEOPLE out of overtaking" by doing that!

They are opting out of both overtaking and being overtaken.

Mole wrote:
You seem to be saying that if people want to drive at 2/3 of the speed limit, hold other motorists up and fail to leave a suitable gap between themselves and the car in front, well, that's just human nature, learn to live with it.

They don't actually "fail" to leave a gap - they do it on purpose. That's because they are "queuing", and (right or wrong) that is what one is trained to do in a queue. And if one queues behind someone doing 2/3 of the speed limit, then the front guy sets the speed.

Mole wrote:
Whereas if someone wants to drive closer to the speed limit and overtake the "leg iron", they're somehow in the wrong?!

It's only "wrong" if you don't wait your turn. If one queue jumps, one is wrong on these counts:

a) two or more drivers can collide by queue jumping simultaneously (no coordination)
b) due to the opt out, you must overtake all or nothing (meaning you are longer in the critical section).
c) you create bad will with the people who you jump past.
d) you cannot see road markings and hazards from way behind in a queue.

There are more things as well that make it a risky idea. Basically, we may dislike queues, but they
are here to stay, I'm afraid.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:51 
Life Member
Life Member

Abercrombie wrote:
There's absolutely no need to drive anywhere near as fast as the law or the road conditions permit.

Maybe not, but there's often no 'need' to drive as some people choose to do. It's a freedom of choice thing.

I have no problem with the slow brigade as long as they don't go out of their way to impede me. Equally, despite may post trying to explain to me why I am endangering them, I don't see why they should worry if I wish to go faster than they do.

Quote:
One chap here thought that driving at 75% of the top limit was horribly slow (!)...

Sorry, but it often is! There are 30 mph grade-separated DCs in Southampton where 22.5mph would feel desperately slow (the limit feels bad enough).

Equally, 75% of the motorway limit is slower than the HGVs drive, so you'd be forcing them all out in to L2. Hmmm, a great contribution to road safety.

Still if people _want_ to drive like that, I don't want to stop them, as it's not in my nature to want to control other people.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:02 
User

Johnnytheboy wrote:
Quote:
One chap here thought that driving at 75% of the top limit was horribly slow (!)...

Sorry, but it often is! There are 30 mph grade-separated DCs in Southampton where 22.5mph would feel desperately slow (the limit feels bad enough).

Haven't you heard that "20's plenty"!!! Sorry, johnnytheboy, but you have to laugh.... 30 mph grade-separated DCs!

Johnnytheboy wrote:
Equally, 75% of the motorway limit is slower than the HGVs drive, so you'd be forcing them all out in to L2. Hmmm, a great contribution to road safety.

The only "force" required is the effort it takes to lift thier foot a millimeter off the pedal. Is that too much?
But you are right ... when I do 55 on the m-way, I get quite a lot passing me. It can take 15 minutes!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:19 
Life Member
Life Member

1. If you want to go that slow, I don't mind. But I feel I can safely go faster. Do you mind if I do?

2. Why do I have to laugh at a grade separated DC? I'm full of a cold so I've probably missed the joke.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Abercrombie wrote:
But you are right ... when I do 55 on the m-way, I get quite a lot passing me. It can take 15 minutes!

I hope you are joking... either slow down and let them back in or speed up a little so they don't need to over take you. Look in your mirrors and have a look at the congestion and frustration you are causing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:02 
User

adam.L wrote:
Abercrombie wrote:

I hope you are joking... either slow down and let them back in or speed up a little so they don't need to over take you.

The trick is to keep up with the truck in front, adam.L. If I backed off, I'd slow the trucks behind me. It'd be a domino effect on a grand scale!

PS: look, I seem to be causing a fuss, so maybe I'll try and remember to go a bit faster. But I like to drive slow w/out being cut up all the time. I'm only defending my rights here. I hate going fast in my car.

Last edited by Abercrombie on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:26, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:07 
User

adam.L wrote:
Abercrombie wrote:
Look in your mirrors and have a look at the congestion and frustration you are causing.

What do you mean? Those trucks block up lane 2, but I don't cause any congestion, as far as I can see. I
just go along behind the truck in front of me. I go as fast as I can (staying under the limit),
but I stay in lane 1, like I'm supposed to if I don't want to overtake.

Look, I don't want to cause trouble, but I also don't want these guys cutting into a tiny gap. I
mean, if I'm keeping up, why do they bother?

Last edited by Abercrombie on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:18, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:11 
User

Johnnytheboy wrote:
1. If you want to go that slow, I don't mind. But I feel I can safely go faster. Do you mind if I do?

No, do it, but don't push in front of me unless the "bloke in front" has left plenty of room for you! Just joking, feel free.

Johnnytheboy wrote:
2. Why do I have to laugh at a grade separated DC? I'm full of a cold so I've probably missed the joke.

It's just the pointlessness of it. You know, going 20 or 30 mph on a wide road! What's the matter with people? But I guess
it's a 'free country' eh? I forget about life in those big towns.

PS: I'm sorry you have a cold. They are always much worse when you have them, than they are when you remember them!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 14:15 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Abercrombie wrote:
adam.L wrote:
Abercrombie wrote:
Look in your mirrors and have a look at the congestion and frustration you are causing.

What do you mean? Those trucks block up lane 2, but I don't cause any congestion, as far as I can see. I
just go along behind the truck in front of me. I go as fast as I can (staying under the limit),
but I stay in lane 1, like I'm supposed to if I don't want to overtake.

Look, I don't want to cause trouble, but I also don't want these guys cutting into a tiny gap. I
mean, if I'm keeping up, why do they bother?

The trucks blocking lane 2 are not able to get past the slower vehicles in lane one, just back off for a second, flash your lights and let them back in. Stopping them getting back in just makes you a rolling road block. Surely driving without due consideration??

Even at 55 mph, the 2 second gab you should be leaving should be enough to allow an artic into, once he's in, just back off. As your only doing 55, you can't be in much of a hurry, so why hold the other traffic up that is running to a very tight schedual? Sounds like my tractor causes less jams than your car does....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 14:43 

He's got a point. Inconsiderate driving causes more accidents than speed does.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 15:01 
User

adam.L wrote:
Abercrombie wrote:
I don't cause any congestion

just back off for a second, flash your lights and let them back in

I try that once or twice, but the same thing happens. Now I just keep up with the truck in front, and I let them duke it out
between themselves. Like I say, sometimes it takes ages, and I wish they'd behave themselves, for the sake of the other drivers.
But it doesn't bug me too much because I just keep up. The whole idea is to avoid changing speed or lanes. It
helps on my long journeys, as I don't get tired.

adam.L wrote:
As your only doing 55, you can't be in much of a hurry, so why hold the other traffic up that is running to a very tight schedual?

Well, often I am in a hurry, but I don't like to drive too fast. 55 is plenty for me, but I go as fast as the truck in front, sometimes even pushing it to
60 odd if I'm really rushing.

adam.L wrote:
Sounds like my tractor causes less jams than your car does....

I don't see how you can say that, as I cause no congestion at all. If you wish, I could speed up and go in lanes 2 and 3, but there are already more cars in those lanes than in lane 1, so I would say that I'm helping those guys out by sticking put in lane 1 and going as fast as the truck in front. That's how I drive, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 15:08 
User

graball wrote:
He's got a point.

Thanks, graball. It's never a good idea to overtake someone at a 1mph differential.