Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 16:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 23:30 
Life Member
Life Member

Yes, but for miles and miles, and not patchy at all.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 23:51 
Life Member
Life Member

According to a work colleague backwards off the M2 and a reverse longitudinal flip through three trees in his S2000 is a pretty good indicator that the motorway may not have been gritted.

He told me this at work this morning suffering only from a slightly stiff neck and back, the famous lines from The Life of Brian are appropriate I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 00:47 

Johnnytheboy wrote:
My conclusion was that the mild early morning dew had frozen, creating an even but invisible layer of ice. Is this likely?

Yes, perfectly possible. You aslo sometimes get it after heavy rain comes following after the gritter and washes all the salt off the road then freezes. A few years ago I was driving to Barrow and taking the scenic route. There was the odd slippy patch, but nothing too terrible. I then noticed a copper stood at the side of the road flagging me down. He told me to be extra careful along the next half mile or so because it was very slippy and there had been several accidents. If anything, the road looked less icy than what I had just been driving on. He was absolutely right though! I stopped in a lay-by after a while and got out. it was all I could do to stay on my feet!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:37 
User

Johnnytheboy wrote:
Yes, but for miles and miles, and not patchy at all.

There's a two mile section of unclassified road (so rarely gets gritted) that I use on the way to work that regularly gets like this. One morning before Christmas there was one car in a hedge and two in the ditch just on that section. The problem is that the road goes between two much busier roads that do get gritted and people don't adjust their speed to suit the drastically different level of grip.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 14:24 

Surely they'd be OK as long as they didn't exceed the posted speed limit? I mean, that's what they're there for aren't they? To keep us all safe? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 14:40 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mole wrote:
Surely they'd be OK as long as they didn't exceed the posted speed limit? I mean, that's what they're there for aren't they? To keep us all safe? :wink:

:lol:

Oh Mole, you are awful - but I like you :)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 18:51 

Of course you realise that a speed camera there would have stopped people sliding off the road....NOT! .... ;-)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 19:41 

graball wrote:
Of course you realise that a speed camera there would have stopped people sliding off the road....NOT! .... ;-)

It could!!
You'd slide into the camera and bounce back off into oncoming traffic. Safe.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 19:54 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I guess if you had a scamera on a downhill slope covered in ice you would actually accelerate above the limit on the decent and snap :camera: .

There's one they haven't thought of yet!

:idea: You know what, that may be a good idea because it would get the bad drivers who think the sign says it all and they will get caught whereas me and other safe drivers would be using a safe speed for the conditions, (<<20 mph), so wouldn't get done. :bighand:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.