Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 23:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:02 
User

The AA is offering courses to youngsters /novices to help them learn more. I think a good idea to offer this course without any fee to drivers witihin their first 12 months and who may have been pinged by a camera or had a crunch of any type.

From a chat with the AA - this course focusses on IAM/COAST criteria and just may make a difference to the normal majority. :scratchchin: I base the comment on the success which our own Liaison work with schools and colleges has achieved to date. :wink:

Perhaps it may fire up some to do IAM "proper" which sets some folk off on the road to wanting to improve as constant :wink:

Quote:
Free Drive Smart training in safe and fuel-efficient driving
As part of our efforts to make our roads safer, we've set up the AA Charitable Trust for Road Safety and the Environment. This new charity offers training to newly qualified drivers to help them improve their driving skills and safety.

Drive Smart consists of two one-hour sessions with a fully-qualified AA driving instructor. A supporting workbook will take you through home study before your in-car sessions, and you'll be asked to practise between sessions to get the most from your training. The course is focused on improving your driving safety, as well as helping you to become a more fuel-efficient driver.

So if you've passed your test in the last 12 months and would like extra training, this could be right for you – especially if you've had a motoring offence or been involved in an accident. Or if you're a parent whose son or daughter has recently passed a test, consider letting them benefit from this training.

We'll assess your details to see if you meet the criteria (see terms and conditions below). And if you're successful, we'll phone you to arrange your first session.

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:25 
User

BRAKE have issued a response to this new scheme on the BBC radio News just now.

:roll:

The "charity" claims that that it is

Quote:
"up to the government to improve driving standards"

:popcorn;

Interestingly BRAKE also calls for a
Quote:
"graduated licence to reflect skills"

Now where have I seen this discussed :popcorn:

Why? By the late Paul Smith back in April 2004 on this message board - plus some interesting and practical suggestions from JT and Gatsobait at the time - with me and the Mad Doc each commenting that we were not sure that a licence allowing us "Advanced mob to drive at any speed on the motorway provided we had a number plate or sticker to show such status would work - it needed a heck of a lot of admin and .. er .. cameras :roll: :popcorn: - but then the Mad Doc did point out that Germany does have some sort of "graduated or controlling"scheme in place as it insists the probationers display a badge for the duration of the period as is the case with NI's "P" plates and limits to 45 mph max. Germany does not go down that route; Its new drivers cannot drive above 80 mph on the dererticted Autobahn and all others are required to take out an insurance surcharge as they would not be covered if they did crash at the higher speeds without this.

As we know . the DfT is proposing to upgrade the test to a format in which the normal manoeuvres will be tested - but not to the curent dictat. Any one of the required elements may tested in the first half of the test which checks out basic handling skills as the current test for the full half hour. The test - as currently being discussed - will be lengthened by a full 15 minutes and this will be a kind of "free style" whereby the learner is not insutructed to take the next turning - but is required to make decisions and demonstrate a much more refined ease and comfortable negotiation with the traffic conditions. This extended test may well see the learner on fast dual carriageways and the training course will be like Germany's in that it has to include a dusk drive and some evidence of driving/understanding driving skills on a rural or "urban rural" :wink:

The DfT has ruled out any suggestion of "graduated licences according to skills" :popcorn:

But this opens up debate again all the same :popcorn:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 22:21 
User

I would have thought that AA's priority was sobering its members up before they teach them to drive. Honestly *tut*

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 22:18 
User

Lucy W wrote:
I would have thought that AA's priority was sobering its members up before they teach them to drive. Honestly *tut*

I do honestly think you know which AA we are meaning here,. :wink:

Now Lucy . do not be a naughty giri here .. and I am intending this post to be very friendly banter to you as you perhaps meant your post to be :wink:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 15:36 
User

having seen the standard of their driving instructors, i have little optimism for the AA to provide any increase in driver skills. maybe they should start closer to home and practice what they preach :roll:

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 16:03 

I must admit that I was following a driving instructor the other day (not AA) and the driving was so poor, that I couldn't believe it when I saw that there was no one else in the car but the instructor, (Ithought it was the pupil that was so slow to indicate until the last moment and whose road positioning etc was bad)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 22:37 
Site Admin

I do seem to recall mentioning a graduated license to Paul many years ago but more recently on air, as a suggestion too ! :)

I do think it can give the trafpol a better way to help analyse a driver when tugged. However we need better trained cops too as any younger and inexperienced copper cannot know what a well trained or/and experienced enthusiastic driver may know ! :)

I thoroughly agree good training is an excellent way forward BUT who are doing the training and how can a 'new driver' know if they are being told good things or bad or someone else's specific thoughts - or have we got the bottom and ANY help at this point is a good idea?

I am a little concerned how much the 'environment' is being pushed into driving and cars these days. I wonder how far that impacts on driving style and considerations on decisions - even on safety decisions ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 00:35 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
I do seem to recall mentioning a graduated license to Paul many years ago but more recently on air, as a suggestion too ! :)

We argued the toss on this back in 2004. JT came up with a fairly workable idea as I recall :bow:

safespeedv2 wrote:
I do think it can give the trafpol a better way to help analyse a driver when tugged. However we need better trained cops too as any younger and inexperienced copper cannot know what a well trained or/and experienced enthusiastic driver may know ! :)

And there's the big snag. :popcorn: You would need this licence on your person 24/7 to produce to us as and when "tugged" How the hell will we know? One solution back in 2004 was some sticker on the number plate.

OK. Fine. But. what if a younger and more novice member of the same family drives that car with a "graduated licence? Somehow - Germany perhaps has it "right " :popcorn: with their insurance scheme - whereby the experienced driver pays a surcharge to drive above 80 mph .. else risk no compo and huge costs in case of accident at very high speeds.

safespeedv2 wrote:
I thoroughly agree good training is an excellent way forward BUT who are doing the training and how can a 'new driver' know if they are being told good things or bad or someone else's specific thoughts - or have we got the bottom and ANY help at this point is a good idea?

Again - the German model seems to work fine as all receive a very formal classroom experience before practical lessons,

It's not perfect.

Germany still records some horrendous accidents on aggregate per press and stats as released to date :popcorn: They seem to control young drivers via "new driver stickers" and insurance criteria as fars as "derestricts are concerned" - and I am relying on what Wildy et al tell me on this one :wink:

But all the same - a very formal classroom requirement of say 7 hours - followed by practical lessons which will include night driving/rural lane driving and experience of fast dual carriageways at the very least. . The course would have to be run by ADI's and its rubric would have to follow a set standard national curriculum :wink: - and be monitored very closely.

Drawback - cost of learning and the test would be rather expensive and may be beyond many personal budgets? :popcorn: One way around the formal classroom lesson may be via introducing cycling into the National Curriculum as regards "road sense/hazard awareness/COAST awareness au Franklin page 55" :wink:

safespeedv2 wrote:
I am a little concerned how much the 'environment' is being pushed into driving and cars these days. I wonder how far that impacts on driving style and considerations on decisions - even on safety decisions ?
[/quote]

I think costs of living and a recession will influence folk a lot more than "green issues" - especially when weighing up the prices of "organic tomatoes" versus the "market value" version. Personally - whatever has a yellow "REDUCED FOR QUICK SALE" rather influences my (and wife's) decisions strongly :wink: This same process will filter over to decisions as regards our choice of transport and speed. :popcorn:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 02:45 
Site Admin

In Gear wrote:
We argued the toss on this back in 2004. JT came up with a fairly workable idea as I recall :bow:

safespeedv2 wrote:

In Gear wrote:
And there's the big snag. :popcorn: You would need this licence on your person 24/7 to produce to us as and when "tugged" How the hell will we know? One solution back in 2004 was some sticker on the number plate.

I think stickers have many problems. I think that, to enable the graduation levels they need defining and then you voluntary go along to the courses and as you complete sections you are awarded the experience and ability level that you have earned. This is then added to your driving license.
Any trafpol that stops you can then see that you are 'qualified' and it is also likely (but not certain considering all the types of human differences), that you will talk and say sensible things that can tell the tagging officer the reasons behind your actions.
They still have the ability to take all (some new) appropriate enforcement. For example a serious query to your actions may warrant a temp suspension of that ability and you go and explain (maybe video evidence) that maybe a panel of experienced traffic driver trainers etc and if a driving enforcement needs to be processed to Court then it will follow current laws.
The gained qualifications build up and the levels placed on the license can be easily seen on your license and so any vehicle that you drive (appropriately).
A trafpol stopping you might waste a few minutes but how re-assuring for them that you now what you are doing and it was OK - or if they question your action either advise strongly, go for a 'query over driving' (new option), or a ticket etc.
Surely better to stop people and find about other things too than have less and less to do with the public. An advanced careful driver will likely see the Trafpol anyway and be ready to stop. After al better drivers make life easier and better mostly.

In Gear wrote:
OK. Fine. But. what if a younger and more novice member of the same family drives that car with a "graduated licence?

Well I guess you have assumed a number of issues here ... the driver hold the license not the car. The licenses have the drivers details on (with or without photo's) if a trafpol is unsure then they can be asked to bring in the qualification certificates to prove the levels earned - 7 days to copshop? That sort of thing ... the car being driven is not part of the equation - in case you are thinking - only drive X car when X level achieved. I think that is wrong as all people use cars differently, so if a powerful car is driven badly or questionably then it can be stopped. We must have encouragement to trust people to be responsible and when they are not enforcement is considered. It can be hard to trust the public I am sure.

In Gear wrote:
Somehow - Germany perhaps has it "right " :popcorn: with their insurance scheme - whereby the experienced driver pays a surcharge to drive above 80 mph .. else risk no compo and huge costs in case of accident at very high speeds.

I think this is the wrong emphasis. The faster drivers are shown to be more aware and safer, so the insurance companies are 'fleecing'. The excessive and slower ones tend to be the more likely to have accidents, so it should not be the insurance companies that set this cost. How about all people pay a set figure for 3rd party only ( or a dare I say a few (3 say) pence on fuel but after so much fuel is bought, a refund or exemption is given to that person (OK many issues here for later .. ). Just because the insurance co's are the one's that pay out they have ruled how much we are charged but I think MAYBE, it is possible that the Gov should make this a national scheme for 3rd party at least so everyone on the road has a min of insurance. (Sweden has this) I think that to pay higher to driver in a manner that you are better trained for is wrong and the stats would back this concept. There would be a learning cycle while people settle into it but encouragement to drive better should mean several benefits like less costly insurance ! (Experience of Ins Co's has shown they charge extra to those that have accidents that is fair although I am quite sure it has it's faults).

safespeedv2 wrote:
I thoroughly agree good training is an excellent way forward BUT who are doing the training and how can a 'new driver' know if they are being told good things or bad or someone else's specific thoughts ...?

In Gear wrote:
Again - the German model seems to work fine as all receive a very formal classroom experience before practical lessons, It's not perfect.

Plus we HAD the safest roads, whilst we can learn from others, we can easily look back to 15 plus yrs ago and use that knowledge too - we must not forget ! We DID MANY right things and the whole process was working. It has been messed with So much in specific areas that to over emphasis in one area now may have many further far reaching problems. I do agree though that the theory can be improved and learned over several years. Mind if they are really bringing in 500 hrs (they really are taking the mick!) they will need to start at a young age !
In Gear wrote:
But all the same - a very formal classroom requirement of say 7 hours - followed by practical lessons which will include night driving/rural lane driving and experience of fast dual carriageways at the very least. . The course would have to be run by ADI's and its rubric would have to follow a set standard national curriculum :wink: - and be monitored very closely.

I do not see that it would 'have' to be run by ADI's but I do agree obtaining people who can train well is very hard. Plus those that actually truly know what they are talking about is even harder. However a dvd learning aids will help and various trainers for different experiences will also help eg skid pan, fast tracks, high performance, defensive, security and safety etc ... So all the culture of driving that we have grown up with can be well imparted and in a modern manner, PLUS online courses and training facilities too. Even in small groups too with classroom type set ups, many computer progs now easily show the tutor all results etc.
The person taking the courses and learn by themselves at 'home' for the theory things and then go and take the 'practical' advanced lessons as they can afford it.

In Gear wrote:
Drawback - cost of learning and the test would be rather expensive and may be beyond many personal budgets? :popcorn: One way around the formal classroom lesson may be via introducing cycling into the National Curriculum as regards "road sense/hazard awareness/COAST awareness au Franklin page 55" :wink:

So it is done slow and steady, each section being awarded and noted, and when the level is reached it is awarded onto the license.

safespeedv2 wrote:

In Gear wrote:
I think costs of living and a recession will influence folk a lot more than "green issues" - especially when weighing up the prices ....

Ah for sure ! However the common sense things as usual will come back in. :) In fact hopefully many of the ludicrous things will fall by the wayside as Councils have less money to be so flippant and impractical.
We have heard though from people who (know people) who try to drive in a manner very specifically to help use less fuel and drive so that they are causing others confusion.
sorry for a long post !