Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 23:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:15 
Life Member
Life Member

I still think that in a twisted kind of way it could have a benefit, the advent of nannying systems like these could spur drivers to up their game to prevent them being foisted upon them.

Wait until systems like this recognise fully manual cars and automatically give way to them.

Imagine-

Their cars would prevent them accelerating if a manual car was overtaking.
Their car would not let them pull out of a junction if a manual car was approaching.
Their car would automatically slow if a manual car was waiting to pull out of a junction.

So this government would make these systems mandatory if it could, but why not use this to warn drivers of what is coming if they do not buck their ideas up?

I believe it is called spin :rotfl:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:33 
Life Member
Life Member

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
I quite like the idea that if you chose to drive a car with this that your license is endorsed and places you with a 'Driver Inability to Judge Properly' Badge. :)
I don't like ABS and hate that my car has it. Far rather not have any aids and that apart from power steering is the only 'aid' in this world of car aids fitted as standard that I have. I am happy with no aids. I like driving my car not being a passenger to some programmers concept of 'safe'.
I want to make every decision. I want to 'feel' when the car tyre's are gripping less, I want to know if the back or front is at the edge of grip. I want total control.
Modern cars are often now FWD (front wheel drive) and I choose not to buy them. When I drive a hire car, I make a serious note to self throughout the journey that I am in a FWD car. Mind at every steering input I know it too ! Along the straights it 'yakkers' the steering wheel which reminds one too!
A system for young drivers with this would be kissing their driving skills goodbye. If they don't start learning young when will they learn ?
I don't mind options to tell you but to take over, no, never - or not that I can possibly think of at this time !
This must be resisted.
The insurance results may take several years and deaths to truly come to light.
Just because it is 'possible' does not mean that it is 'good'.

You, I, and many others would agree with you, however the majority of drivers have no real interest in getting that level of feel and involvement from their vehicle.

As an analogy, I want my clothes to be comfortable and functional and at best reasonably smart and not too out of date, some on the other hand want the latest fashions and put a lot of effort into perfecting a look or staying a la mode.

We need to get people out of nylon track suits, but do not expect them to wear Versace.

I quite like having ABS on a road car, when I am driving as close to the limit on the road as I feel is safe it never actuates, on the odd occasion someone makes a manoeuvre on the outer edge of the probabilities I have predicted and I have to brake hard I still do not need it very often, I just do not have to brake that hard. So why do I want it? It is for when a car comes around a bend on my side of the road and I have to brake hard with two wheels in the gutter or when the van pulls out from a parking space with no warning on a rainy day. Early abs was not very good, more modern systems are much better, even if a skilled driver can stop shorter that only applies in situations where the surface grip is even across all wheels and the braking system is perfectly set up for the weight distribution of the car. Then of course there is the situation in urban environments where the braking time can be so short that you would not even complete a cadence cycle before an abs equipped car would have stopped you.

I would even go as far as a well designed stability system can be a good thing, while one that cuts in at the faintest hint of a slide are near useless to a keen driver (the one on my wife's E46 BMW for instance), the system fitted to Ferraris that allow you to set the level of interference is no doubt much better. They allow you to have the interaction and control you want and yet allow you to drive a high performance car without the effort of being totally committed when you are just going to the shops.

I hope very few people would want this Nissan system though, so as a threat...?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 16:01 
User

I think what we're witnessing is the zenith of car technolical improvments.

I have to say, I was dead against ESP, however both mine and my wifes car have it fitted, and after driving in the snow - it is amazing. I should point out that my car is completely undriveable with the system switched off. See if anyone can guess, a Top Gear quote about my car - "It's good..... If you want to go left!"

However any system that relies on data that is remote from the car is fraught with danger. What happens when GPS signal is lost, and the driver believes the car will go into auto-pilot on the approaching corner if he is going to fast. Boom one dead driver!
I have to confess that I drove into my neighbours car not so long back because the fuse had blown in my reverse distance sensing system. A minor bump is all that can happen when that system fails (and a lot of elbow grease t-cutting her bumper), I worry about high speed gadgets.

Lately I haven't seen any new car gadget that significantly improves safety since ESP was introduced.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 16:19 
Life Member
Life Member

toltec wrote:
Wait until systems like this recognise fully manual cars and automatically give way to them.

Imagine-

Their car would not let them pull out of a junction if a manual car was approaching.
Their car would automatically slow if a manual car was waiting to pull out of a junction.

This would effectively prevent a Nissan Micra doing anything they normally do then!

I worry at the combo of this system and the planned ISA though. You'd just drive around everywhere with your foot nailed to the floor, letting the car determine your speed for you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 18:14 
User

toltec wrote:
I still think that in a twisted kind of way it could have a benefit, the advent of nannying systems like these could spur drivers to up their game to prevent them being foisted upon them.
This philosophy is a minority one, except here in this forum.
I wish I could go on a drive with some of you ...
Quote:

Imagine-
At first thought, this would seem like a dream come true for me ... cars getting out of my way, parting like the Red Sea ...
... then again ...
The danger here would be that 'unassisted drivers' would be trying to determine whether it's the car, or the driver. If it's the car, what sort of 'personality' would the car have? Would it depend on make and model? You all seem to have an opinion on how Nissan Micra drivers tend to behave (as do I when I see a Toyota Corolla). Would a future Nissan Micra itself behave similarly? Or would it depend on something less obvious?
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
I quite like the idea that if you chose to drive a car with this that your license is endorsed and places you with a 'Driver Inability to Judge Properly' Badge. :)
I don't like ABS and hate that my car has it. Far rather not have any aids and that apart from power steering is the only 'aid' in this world of car aids fitted as standard that I have. I am happy with no aids. I like driving my car not being a passenger to some programmers concept of 'safe'.
I want to make every decision. I want to 'feel' when the car tyre's are gripping less, I want to know if the back or front is at the edge of grip. I want total control.
Modern cars are often now FWD (front wheel drive) and I choose not to buy them. When I drive a hire car, I make a serious note to self throughout the journey that I am in a FWD car. Mind at every steering input I know it too ! Along the straights it 'yakkers' the steering wheel which reminds one too!
A system for young drivers with this would be kissing their driving skills goodbye. If they don't start learning young when will they learn ?
I don't mind options to tell you but to take over, no, never - or not that I can possibly think of at this time !
This must be resisted.
The insurance results may take several years and deaths to truly come to light.
Just because it is 'possible' does not mean that it is 'good'.
I tentatively and conditionally approve of those technologies that help the driver extract more from a given system while laying dormant until an unlikely and relatively high threshold is reached, and yet still wait for the driver to activate them:
ABS
Traction Control/Stability Control when they're progressively calibrated (not quite yet), SynchroRev Match, etc.
I almost wholeheartedly disapprove of technologies that don't require the driver's active involvement, or have a ridiculously conservative threshold, with the possible exception of rain sensing wipers.

Yet, most good drivers seldom unintentionally activate ABS/Traction Control/Stability Control, nor do they need rain sensing wipers ...
toltec wrote:
You, I, and many others would agree with you, however the majority of drivers have no real interest in getting that level of feel and involvement from their vehicle ...
Again, I am not part of the vast majority of people who are averse to enjoying partnering with their vehicles.
Odin wrote:
Lately I haven't seen any new car gadget that significantly improves safety since ESP was introduced.
Again, so stipulated. The johnny-come-lately 'intelligent safety technologies' are trying to override the driver, ready at the drop of a hat. Prior to ESP, they were simply on standby, for just-in-case scenarios, and ready to assist the driver.

2) Nothing gets hit, except to protect others; see Rule#1
3) The Laws of Physics are invincible and immutable - so-called 'laws' of men are not
4) You are always immediately and ultimately responsible for your safety first, then proximately responsible for everyone's
Do not let other road users' mistakes become yours, nor yours become others
5) The rest, including laws of the land, is thoughtful observation, prescience, etiquette, decorum, and cooperation