Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 00:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: 20mph zone
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 13:04 
Supporter
Supporter

ed_m wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
I think your avatar is trying to locate someone who doesn't speed Mr Whaley ;)

bliddy hell tone... do you KNOW how fast things go up there in space ?
it's just not safe to step outside your own front door.

Don't worry. The earth is stationary in space.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 13:53 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I beg to differ but luckily God isn't obsessed with speed ;)

"Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
A sun that is the source of all our power.
The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
Of the galaxy we call the 'Milky Way'. "
etc...

And of course at molecular level we're all moving, although some of us wobble more than others :D

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 17:20 
Supporter
Supporter

Big Tone wrote:
One is at liberty, after Professor Einstein, to define any point in the universe as a stationary reference point.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 18:18 
Life Member
Life Member

Mole wrote:
dcbwhaley wrote:
First: it is a tenant of SS that "speeding" means travelling at a speed inappropriate for the conditions and can occur at an absolute speed well bellow 30mph.

I must be out of step with SS thinking here! I regard "speeding" as simply exceeding the speed limit. An absolute, measurable offence. I regard driving at an inappropriate speed for the conditions as something completely different - although I accept that it can overlap with "speeding"....

Having re-read this I agree.

Speeding = exceeding the speed limit.
Driving at an inappropriate speed for the conditions = going too fast.

NOT the same, though as above, they can overlap.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 19:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dcbwhaley wrote:
Big Tone wrote:

One is at liberty, after Professor Einstein, to define any point in the universe as a stationary reference point.

Ahhh...

So it's the pedestrian who could actually be hitting my car at 30 mph! ;)

Love Tone :)

(Corrected the post/quote BTW, but I'm guessing we knew that)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 21:28 
Supporter
Supporter

Big Tone wrote:
[

No no. The pedestrian is moving at 123456000 mph whereas your car is moving at 123456030 mph :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 21:43 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

dcbwhaley wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
[

No no. The pedestrian is moving at 123456000 mph whereas your car is moving at 123456030 mph :D

Or the car could be doing 123455970mph :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 22:10 
User

Pah.. I''ve trigged VAS by just joggn' before now ,, you amateurs yous! :lol:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 07:43 
Supporter
Supporter

In Gear wrote:
Pah.. I''ve trigged VAS by just joggn' before now ,, you amateurs yous! :lol:

Jogging? Nothing! I can trigger them by looking at them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:00 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:
Zippo wrote:

Perhaps you could give me some advice? I'm travelling along a NSL and see a large bush at the road side, I can't see the other side of the bush so have no idea if there is a deer, sheep, dog, cat, child, delirious hillwalker, suicidal space invader machine, lurking there ready to throw itself under my wheels without any warning ... what would you regard as a safe speed range to pass the bush at?

In those circumstances the safest thing to do would be to stop your car, put on the hazard lights, get out and walk round the bush to ensure that there are non of those hazards at the other side before driving cautiously along the road. And if you had a moment to spare you might investigate the meaning of the word "irony"

Actually I don't need to look up irony, I'm quite aware of its meaning already thanks. More interesting than its meaning is it's uses. I can still recall some of what an english text book had to say about uses of irony .. excuse me if I don't get it quite right ... can be used be charlatans when they'd rather say what is not rather than say what is ... my english teacher had a rather more down to earth interpretation and I quote "smug bawbags sometimes use irony tae try tae wriggle oot o tellin the truth" . my english teacher had a bit of an accent and a way with words.

So am I to take it your advice is the opposite of what you've said? which might be something like close your eyes and floor the throttle to get past as quickly as possible?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:38 
User

Apologies for a funny off topic :lol:
Zippo wrote:
... my english teacher had a rather more down to earth interpretation and I quote "smug bawbags sometimes use irony tae try tae wriggle oot o tellin the truth" . my english teacher had a bit of an accent and a way with words.

I know what you mean :hehe: I try to teach my eldest children to read when they were babies. I sat them on my lap und read aloud to them. Unfortunately - they then began to read the written word with a strange accent as a result of my "meddling" :lol: I also find idioms difficult at times.. I called one teacher a "pillock of society" when the right word was "pillar" :o :oops: :oops: :oops: I had to grovel later when by chance .. I mention to a pal on the phone.. und errrrr.. I was mortified.

Back to topic.. it still about COAST und looking hard ahead for clues ..like a ball .. a foot ..or whatever. In Zippo's case though .. he ist talking of triffids which block the view. Put there ddeliberately - breaking a plannning requirement. :banghead: I think he need to speak to the owner und then the council as already said. In meantime .. slow up to 20 mph or less dependent on his feel und look out. Noise und smell may also provide other clues to help.

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:36 
User

Hello Wildcat, yup have to be a bit careful when teaching kids ... results can be a bit unpredictable :lol:

Completely agree on use of COAST, staying alert & looking out for clues as practical real world way to deal with triffid country as best as possible. :clap1:

The triffid obscured coner I'm talking about is a little way down from here and doesn't really affect us directly, I will at some point ensure I've got my facts right re the planning issues and approach owner and council to see if a solution can be amicably arrived at. But at the moment I've got a bit too much other stuff to worry about! 20 MPH would be waaaaayyy to fast for said corner .. foot covering brake pedal & idling in first gear would be more appropriate. I have suggested to owners of house further down road that they complain as they have to drive round it daily .. but this is kind of place folks don't like to "make a fuss"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:43 
Supporter
Supporter

Zippo wrote:
Hello Wildcat, yup have to be a bit careful when teaching kids ... results can be a bit unpredictable :lol:

Completely agree on use of COAST, staying alert & looking out for clues as practical real world way to deal with triffid country as best as possible. :clap1:

If they really are triffids you could try asking them to move :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:34 
Life Member
Life Member

Sea water(in the film anyway)?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 23:58 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:
If they really are triffids you could try asking them to move :D

I would but a funny thing happened .... saw this bright thing in the sky and now I can't see a thing ... :o

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 13:34 
User

Hovering police helicopter ?
Those lights they carry can be very bright at night.....

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 23:59 
User

Plenty of helicopters round here but none of em belong to fuzzy wuzzies, we far to law abiding round here to require monitoring from air :D .... presence of copter usually means somebody in big trouble in the hills ... or occasionally air ambulance attending serious casualty at yet another road accident on A82, (always makes my shudder when I see ambulance followed by fire service followed by police heading along A82) :( ... or army on exercises .... but it definitely widnae be ra polis :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 02:21 
User

Big Tone wrote:
dcbwhaley wrote:

Ahhh...

This is an all too common occurrence in some media reports.....
http://www.calverleytoday.co.uk/rodleynews/Rodley-Police-appeal-after-pedestrian.4957858.jp
Quote:
Rodley: Police appeal after pedestrian collides with car
Police are appealing for witnesses following a road traffic collision in Rodley in which a pedestrian received serious injuries.
A 95-year-old woman was involved in a collision with a Silver Skoda Fabia on Hawthorne Grove at 12.35pm today.

She was taken to Leeds General Infirmary where her condition is described as critical.

Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to contact Horsforth Roads Policing Unit on 0845 60 60 60 6.

I am not an expert - but I don't think either of the vehicles in the photograph is a Silver Skoda Fabia!

I hope she recovered - but at 95 years old the odds must be against you... especially if GoodDrivellerSam has parked his car somewhere where it obscures the view of people wishing to cross the road :(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 15:55 
User

I have nothing else to add on this issue. Except in answer to the claim that many people break the speed limit every day without ever doing any harm. Well, many youngters carry knives every day without ever hurting anybody. Is that okay?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 16:09 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

GoodDriverSam wrote:
I have nothing else to add on this issue. Except in answer to the claim that many people break the speed limit every day without ever doing any harm. Well, many youngters carry knives every day without ever hurting anybody. Is that okay?

Many people exceed the speed limits every day without creating additional risk, sometimes reducing risk (fatigue).

Those who carry knifes usually don't mean well and have intent to cause bloodshed. This isn't the same as exceeding an arbitrary threshold (wilfully and accidentally) on a clear motorway. No driver goes out intent on causing bloodshed (apart from the occasional drunk, drugged (or not) criminal fleeing the police)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next