The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 15:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 08:31 
User

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/new ... wheel.html

Telegraph wrote:
Younger drivers most likely to be distracted at wheel
Almost four out of 10 UK drivers admit they get ''seriously distracted'' while behind the wheel, with younger motorists the worst affected, a new survey from the RAC has found.

Published: 6:38AM BST 16 Sep 2009

A quarter of drivers aged 17 to 24 admitted texting while at the wheel Photo: GETTY
More than half (55 per cent) of drivers aged 17 to 24 said they became distracted, according to the RAC Report on Motoring.

Drivers said changing the CD or music controls in their car was the most likely gadget to distract them (57 per cent).

=======================
Related Articles
Driver using hands-free phone caused fatal crash
RAC report: Government policies driving motorists mad
Motorists cutting costs as they feel the pinch
Listening to football on the radio while driving is dangerous, say scientists
Women from Portsmouth are Britain's safest drivers, according to survey
Danger drivers Tweet at the wheelFour in 10 said they were distracted by their sat-nav system, and almost a third blamed their mobile phone (32 per cent) or their air conditioning controls (31 per cent).
====================================================

More than a fifth of drivers said they were distracted from the road by warning lights on their dashboard.

A quarter of drivers aged 17 to 24 admitted texting while at the wheel, although only 3 per cent thought it was acceptable behaviour and 16 per cent said they had put on make-up while driving.

The RAC said those in the South West were most likely to lose concentration, with 45 per cent admitting it, while Yorkshire drivers were the least likely at 32 per cent.

Drivers in London said they were most likely to be distracted by their mobile phone (55 per cent), while Scots were the least likely (22 per cent).

The research also considered the effect of distractions on driving.

The RAC said during the five seconds it takes to change a CD, a car travelling at 70mph will have travelled the length of nearly two football pitches (156 metres).

David Bizley, the RAC's technical director, said: ''This clearly shows that in-car distractions continue to be a significant road safety issue, especially for the new generation of drivers.

''While in-car gadgets do make journeys easier and more entertaining, it's important that they are used appropriately. Even a split-second distraction can have potentially disastrous consequences.

''Legislation to limit certain distractions is in place, but it's evident that many of the Government's messages are not getting through to motorists.

''You only have to consider the number of motorists that continue to text and drive to see that greater awareness of how to use in car-technology responsibly is needed.''

The RAC said the latest Department for Transport figures showed that the number of fatal accidents on UK roads involving a distraction in a vehicle as a ''contributory factor'' increased by 50 per cent between 2005 and 2007, from 50 to 75.

:: 1,109 British motorists who drive at least once a month were surveyed in April.

We are stil back to IG's [size-150]C of C O A S T[/size] then... :scratchchin:

I note they are all young drivers in this survey? So .. is it inexperience led?

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 01:03 

Telegraph wrote:
More than a fifth of drivers said they were distracted from the road by warning lights on their dashboard.

Is that not the point of warning lights?

Telegraph wrote:
''Legislation to limit certain distractions is in place, but it's evident that many of the Government's messages are not getting through to motorists.

They spout so much crap the best thing to do is ignore them.

Telegraph wrote:
:: 1,109 British motorists who drive at least once a month were surveyed in April.

At least once a month?! Yeah that's loads... :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 07:34 
Supporter
Supporter

Ziltro wrote:
Telegraph wrote:

Indeed. It would be very distracting to have your engine seize because you didnt have distracting oil pressure and temperature warning lamps :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 08:25 
User

I am looking at the age group. YOUNG. They say the kids have grown up with play stations etc so they are unaware of the dangers of using toys when driving.

(That was the comment on BBC News :banghead:

You could not make it up... :banghead:

Given all the increasing A grades etc ..so much so that no one can really establish the truly "creme de la creme" - perhaps an extra exam in common sense might cut the wheat from the chaffe....

But wait .. we have a better :idea:

Clarkson might like the idea.. those green wellied suffragettes .. :bunker:

Only those who have completed an IAM successfully und a HPC und a track day can obtain a place at Uni as they will have demonstrated lesser degree of general numptiness

I really cannot believe they find the warning lamp on dash a "serious distraction". Autocar did discover, much to our dismay, that folk do not know what the little symbols mean :banghead: :plumbloco:

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 09:31 
User

Well done to the RAC who have carried out a survey and found the obvious.

They could have saved themselves a lot of money and grief and just asked.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:38 
User

GreenShed wrote:

Sometimes things that seem obvious are not very obvious at all .... put two containers in a freezer, one containing hot water one containing cold water ..... which one freezes first? Seems like a simple question with a very obvious answer. Without actually doing it and seeing the result I don't think many people would get it right, and if they did would be hard pushed to provide an explanation of why.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:18 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Zippo wrote:
Sometimes things that seem obvious are not very obvious at all .... put two containers in a freezer, one containing hot water one containing cold water ..... which one freezes first? Seems like a simple question with a very obvious answer. Without actually doing it and seeing the result I don't think many people would get it right, and if they did would be hard pushed to provide an explanation of why.

As always, the devil is in the detail (detail which usually isn't described) and the confounding factors it brings.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 19:40 

Zippo wrote:
GreenShed wrote:

I found that out the hard way as a student washing my car on a frosty night and chucking a bucket of lukewarm water over it only to watch it freeze pretty much as soon as it touched the paint! On delving deeper, it became obvious that the warmer water has the necessary energy in it to let the molecules "jump" into their lattice structure to become ice - I think it's called "latent heat of crystallisation" or something like that?

Anyway, back on topic, I agree that there are far greater demands on the driver's attention these days. My first car didn't even HAVE a radio. My second one had a radio with TWO knobs on it! Now they have radio, CD, CD changer, and Ipod docking(?!) How the hell anyone uses and Ipod whilst driving is beyond me, but I'm just turning into a crusty old git, I guess! If you add to that the phone hands-free, sat-nav, scamera warning tackle...

...it's amazing we don't have more crashes than we do! (and that's before you get the helpful authorities frequently (and seemingly randomly) altering speed limits every few hundred yards)!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 19:28 
User

Steve wrote:
As always, the devil is in the detail (detail which usually isn't described) and the confounding factors it brings.

Absolutely ... looks like a perfectly simple straightforward question with an equally simple obvious answer ... but is in fact a complex problem ... and it gets worse, it doesn't happen under all conditions ... If the hot water starts at 99.9°C, and the cold water at 0.01°C, then under those circumstances, the initially cooler water will freeze first. There is no correct "cold/hot" answer to the question, it also depends on the starting conditions, If all factors are not fully described it's not possible to come up with a correct answer.

Apologies for the off topic post (though the principle could be applied to the RAC survey) ... I'll stop now .... promise :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:37 
User

Zippo wrote:
If all factors are not fully described it's not possible to come up with a correct answer.

I think I'm right in saying that few (if any) of the factors are _fully_ understood. The only way to increase our
understanding is to drill into the problem. It's one thing for some geezer to say "I reckon gadgets distract people", and it's
quite another thing to build a general consensus based on evidence. This applies equally for gadgets, speed cameras,
drinking and driving and climate change etc. I'm tempted to say that there is no such thing as "the truth". There is only what
we believe to be plausible.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 21:47 
Life Member
Life Member

Ziltro wrote:
Telegraph wrote:

Haven't Honda just developed a warning light to alert you if you are staring at the dashboard instead of the road?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 03:20 
Site Admin

I am pretty sure that the Japanese one tells you if you are getting drowsy or falling asleep !