Gold Member
Gold Member

dcbwhaley wrote:
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
I think the thread is hoovering :) ;) !

Ans sucking a lot of garbage :evil:
Oi! Naughty step for you my son :)

Okay Robin, you got me; I'm the phantom thread creeper :P

But seriously, I honestly believe if there's a way of letting the bad driver know what's above I am onto something.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 13:11 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nightsun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 21:49 
Site Admin

Big Tone wrote:
But seriously, I honestly believe if there's a way of letting the bad driver know what's above I am onto something.

If you let them know - how - Robin says use their nightsun as has already been suggested, but do you think this is inadequate?
I would be concerned about 'all' the distraction and the 'effects' of distractions caused.

Although the nightsun stays on the target car, lets say for a moment or two, then what?
Now if you have good drivers that the Police are trying to stop, they will stop anyway, so how would the nightsun help stop someone that has no intention to stop ? Yes I agree a big deterrent but enough of one - not necessarily.
And what about those that want the thrill of the chase ?
A light could be very distracting if it were to 'suddenly' appear to the target vehicle and all nearby. If this happened in then some who looked to the source (which is highly likely), they might be temporarily blinded and that could lead to accidents.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 00:54 

I would go against a nightsun, having copped one in the face on exercise, they will dazzle a driver and effect a momentary blindness the way a flashbang will. Is it a good idea to do this to someone driving a car in a OTT manner? Whilst if the numpty spins of or crashes and kills himself I wouldn't shed tears, there is a fair chance he might take out an innocent driver.

As for the creep, I left the RAF 13 years ago now and had to buy kit to replace the gash kit we were issued with, a friend in during the cold war did likewise as did my father you served out in Aden with 3 Para during the Radfan campaign. It's one thing the politicians have never understood or bothered to rectify, after all giving a squaddie a bergan that doesn't fall to bits or body armour doesn't have the shiny kit appeal (sorry deterence factor) of nice new Trident etc...

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 01:10 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I agree that the Nightsun could dazzle if shone into a driver's eyes at low level, but merely casting a bright pool around the target vehicle from above is unlikely to have the same effect.

I believe the technology is now out there to produce closely collimated beams of audio, so perhaps a loudhailer could be developed for aerial use.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 01:12 
Site Admin

I think that if they used the nightsun only above the target car when NO other cars are about and obviously from the n/side and above point, then the driver is unlikely to easily be able to look up to the course and be temp blinded.
Any other use even close to other vehicles may mean that they look up and they become temp blinded .... unacceptable no matter how much they want to stop the car.
They have done well with 'sky-ball control' when chasing cars from some of the TV shows, but is the cost 'worth it' ?
If they had police with ground night vision would that not often (not always I appreciate) give the police a similar capability for night vision ?
It often seems that it is the heat signature that gives the greatest benefit and the overall sight (eye in the sky), on chases to instruct ground troops !
is there anything that might replace this ? or would small plans or even auto-gyros be a cheaper and just as effective tool.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 08:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The police should put in purchase requisitions for Reaper UAVs complete with air-to-ground missiles. That should stop the b*****ds. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:31 
Site Admin

With that 'in mind' are there ANY 'guns' that could fire a 'tracker'. That way heli comes along, fires the tracker and the Police can track that and then only if necessary re-call the heli ?
(Prob not worth recalling - might have to stay about in some cases?)
I suppose for many instances, it might be all that is needed, although that would encourage 'chases' however they would be at a distance which of course would retain some safety ....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 20:35 
Gold Member
Gold Member

NVGs are expensive, fragile, add weight and require training to use effectively. Even the police helicopter crews do not use them, so I think they'd be unlikely to deploy them to ground forces.