Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 16:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 03:23 

Found this, couldn't resist:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10902201725 ... -snow-bank

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 09:19 
Supporter
Supporter

Safety Engineer wrote:
Doesw anyone still put something (usually cardboard or hardboard) down the grill to block off half the radiator to help the car warm up quicker, used to do it on my first car (Vauxhall Nova) and a company car (Mk1 Mondeo) as both had a helluva time with warming up.

My father used to put kitchen foil over half of the radiator in winter. I have considered fitting some kind of roller blind behind the grill with the cord routed into the cockpit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:09 

With a healthy cooling system, it shouldn't be necessary. The thermostat should prevent water going round the radiator until the engine reaches operating temperature. I did it on my car a couple of months ago because the thermostat wasn't closing properly but I've now fitted a new thermostat and it's fine again without the cardboard. Lots of thermostats these days seem to fail by not CLOSING properly. I guess this saves boiling-up when the car gets too hot. Interestingly, the old thermostat was the traditional sort with the stainless plate that closed off the water supply, but the new one came with the plate coated in a rubbery material to make a better seal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 19:19 

Here's something I've been playing about with for a client, thier staff do infrastrucure work so staying at home isn't an option.

Any coments:

We’ve just finished with the snow and now the Met office are predicting more, what can we do to ensure that we are safe and prepared on the winter roads.

The obvious one that the Highways Agency always state is stay at home and only go out if you have to. This article assumes that you do indeed need to travel, even if it is so you can get home.

It will cover:

Vehicle checks.
Driving Technique.
Vehicle Kit.
If you do get stranded.

Vehicle Checks:

Basic car checks can be summed up by the acronym POWER:

P: Petrol (fuel including diesel or LPG), a full tank or at least twice what you will need for your journey.

O: Oils (including power steering and transmission) engine oil should be at least halfway to the top of the dipstick – other oils / fluids will have levels in your manual. A little 3 in 1 oil or WD40 in the locks will help prevent them freezing you out of the car.

W: Water (screen wash and coolant) a good winter mix for screen wash can be made of screen wash concentrate, a shot of washing up liquid and 200ml of methylated spirit per 5 litres of water (most cars have a 4.5 or 5 litre tank). Coolant should already have the right amount of anti freeze, but can be checked with a simple kit.

E: Electrics (battery, bulbs heated screen etc) is your battery a sealed unit in which case there is little to check many have a green ‘OK’ dot in a window if the electrolyte is down or the battery is near the end of its life it will show red. Old style batteries may need a top up charge in very cold weather and a top up of the water with distilled water (also known as deionised water).

Bulbs inside and out should be checked and make sure lenses are clean before setting off (a clean lens picks up less dirt that an already dirty lens), check the lights inside the car including the dashboard lights – when you turn on the electrics most cars illuminate all the warning lights on the dash as a self test. Check that your heater & demister fans work as well.

R: Rubber (wiper blades and tyres) Check that wiper blades are in good condition and not cracking, torn, split or with the edges curled over as this will reduce their effectiveness, a quick wipe with a rag soaked in methylated spirit will remove a lot of muck and road film that can build up.

Tyres need to be at the right pressures, the days of summer and winter pressures on tyres no longer really applies to most road tyres, the main exceptions are specific off road tyres, snow and winter tyres (the latter rarely used in the UK), check the sidewalls and tread for damage, impacted stones or bits of glass. Likewise check the tread for depth, the UK standard is 1.6mm across 2/3 of the tyre, however, it is recommended that tyres should be changed at around 3mm tread depth as the tyre will have lost 70% of it’s grip. Uneven tread wear can indicate problems with inflation and tracking.

This may sound a lot but a complete ‘POWER’ check can be done in under 20 minutes and can mean the difference between a safe journey and being stranded, most of the calls the AA attend are due to 3 main items: Battery failure, tyre failure and running out of fuel.

Driving Technique:

Avoidance is always better than cure, with this in mind:

Plan your journey and allow sufficient time taking into account conditions from weather checks and road checks - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ ... ather.html and http://www.trafficengland.com

Allow enough distance between you and other vehicles – the 2 second rule becomes 4 seconds in medium to heavy rain and becomes 10 seconds in snow and ice.

If the temperature is low (around 3 degrees C) then allow for potential ice to be in areas that have been in the shade for most of the day (north facing), valleys, low road sections, bridges, corners, dips and rises, tree and hedge lined areas, and higher exposed areas as the temp drops as you climb (3 degrees per 1000ft).

If you see white patches on the road that sparkle or the road surface that looks very matt black this can indicate ice and black ice, another indicator of black ice is a sudden lack of road noise – don’t panic, don’t brake, ease off the accelerator, use engine braking and allow the car to slow steadily.

Driving in snow and ice is about smoothness and concentration, hard acceleration and braking can both cause skidding, plan acceleration, gear changes and braking in advance.

In a skid, ease of the accelerator, turn into the skid, as the vehicle starts to straighten ease the steering back to straight – harsh straightening will cause the vehicle to move in the opposite direction ‘fishtailing’ and may cause the car to spin.

Use as high a gear as possible as soon as possible, especially when pulling away on or near a slope, low gears produce lots of torque (turning force) which on snow and ice can cause the wheel to spin. Some traction control equipped cars there is the feature to turn off the TC or use a snow setting, consult your manual – there is normally a section on snow driving.

Vehicle Kit

Handy kit to have in a car in addition to the manufacturers supplied kit (usually a car jack, wheel trim & nut remover, small wheel brace):

Mobile phone and charger or spare battery.

Extendable wheel brace – handy for getting nuts of by providing greater leverage than the supplied wheel brace.

Air pump and tyre pressure gauge.

Ice Scraper and de-icer spray (go for pump bottles and avoid aerosol sprays as the propellant fails when it gets very cold – just when you need it!! )

Hazard triangle (in case the worst does happen and you have to stop).

Jump leads (details of how to jump start cars are in the driver’s manual so keep it in the car) whilst this may seem odd there are often many drivers who are prepared to help out but do not have leads, also abandoned cars could be used for jump starting.

Small shovel (most army surplus shops sell trench tools, folding shovels that pack up small and are ideal for digging a car out of snow).

Blankets or a sleeping bag – a foil ‘survival’ blanket does not count and in some conditions may actually increase the risk of hypothermia, but they do make a good waterproof and windproof sheet.

Warm clothing (extra jumpers, gloves, pair of boots etc).

Many articles mention a waterproof coat and hi-viz vests, why not combine the two with a waterproof hi-viz coat, again available very cheaply from surplus shops, commercial safety supply companies.

Some food (chocolate bars, sweets are excellent as they are high energy, come in their own wrapper and have a good shelf life).

Flask of hot drink, or means of making one – a small brew kit, metal mug and a small camping stove.

Soft bristle broom makes clearing cars of snow a very quick job.

First aid kit.

Torch and disposable glow sticks.

Traction aids – many off road manuals talk about ‘MO-Mat’ or ‘Tank Track’ but some old hessian sandbags cut along the sides or two strips of carpet 3-4 feet long will work just as well, it gives something that can be packed under a tyre to stop it slipping once its moving after being dug out, in some Scandinavian countries drivers often carry cat litter as grit substitute.

This may sound like a lot of kit but it can be carried in a small and can be carried in a Fiesta / Corsa size car with space to spare for other things like shopping.

If you do get stranded:

Stay calm, especially in the UK with the car kit listed you can be quite comfortable for 24 hours easily.

Stay in your car: Your car is a source of shelter and protection, wander away you may get stuck in snow or run over by passing traffic.

Check your exhaust is clear before running your engine, if it’s blocked it can put carbon monoxide gas into the passenger area of the car.

Run the engine and keep the heater on full, no more than 10 minutes per hour to conserve fuel, crack the window an inch to keep fresh air in the car and avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

Stay fed and hydrated, ideally with warm food and drink (see car kit above), if you have no water part fill a cup with clean snow and hold over heater vent to melt, putting raw snow in your mouth will cause a quick drop in body temperature and a trip to hypothermia.

Keep your interior light on or use a glow stick, having light is a big morale boost and it helps rescuers see that your car is occupied and needs help. Also tying a scarf or rag to your aerial will indicate to rescuers an occupied car.

If stuck in snow bound traffic (like the M11 a few years ago) keep your seatbelt on whilst in the car in case you are hit by other traffic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 21:39 
Site Admin

Quick note - I see the Red Bluff Police Dept give out some sensible advice here - yet where are our Officers trying to help the Public - has anyone seen anything anywhere ?
Apart from Brown's contribution to raise fines by £15 of course ! <Grrr>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 23:36 

A short sweet article that touches the surface but give the clear warning - incliment weather is a distinct hazard for further info contact:

Brilliant, I've nothing like this in local papers round this way from the local police....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 00:37 

If it's going out to people other than close freinds and family, I'm not sure I'd advise anything other than "a good proprietary screen wash made up to the manufacturer's recommended concentration" - or someone, somewhere, will blame you for anything that goes wrong! Similarly, some muppet will, I'm sure, fill the engine up until the oil really IS half way up the dipstick (rather than half way between the max and min)!

Not sure if "distilled" and "deionised" water are in fact the same thing, I think they are - but it might be worth chekcing!

Do tyres really loose 70% of their grip after 3mm? Presumably this is just in new snow????

In the "driving" section, it might be worth ading something about not following people up or down frozen slopes - wait until they've cleared the sloping section before starting your ascent.

The "skid" advice assumes oversteer - the car could be understeering instead. In fact, I imagine many will. There's not much can be done with terminal understeer - lift off the throttle, don't brake, try to wind the lock off and then back on again... but ususally it's too late!

In the "vehicle kit" section, I find the trouble with the spare mobile battery, (if it's been sat in the car in the cold) is that they just won't hold their charge. The in-car charger is by far the best. Also, I couldn't see "tow rope" in there but I may have missed it. It's also amazing how many people don't know where the towing eyes are on their cars and how to attach a rope to them.

Might be worth telling people to keep an eye on the temperature gauge when running the engine if stuck in a snowdrift - it sounds daft, but it's dead easy to overheat a car that's got it's nose stuck in snow! Also, some sort of rule-of-thumb for running the engine vs. leaving the interior light(s) on. That's a tricky one because it will depend on the car, but you don't want to keep cranking the starter and running the battery down without giving the engine a chance to re-charge it and (more importantly) leave you with enough charge to start it the next time after you've had the courtesy light on for an hour!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 00:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Never mind the conditions, just make sure you obey the speed limit at all times! That's all you need to know :bighand:

"A sarcasm detector, that would be useful" ;)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 01:43 

Mole

Thanks for the feedback !

For batteries Distilled and De-ionised are interchangeable.

The 70% of grip comes from the tyre manufacturers and works assuming that a new tyre is 100% grip a tyre in heavy rain or snow will only provide around 30% of the grip that a new tyre (full tread depth) due to the reduced ability to clear the tread.

Screenwash gear is supplied at the depot but the client is finding that people keep forgetting mixtures.

Dipstick - should have clarified 'On the marker section'.

That's why I put either charger or battery - covers both bases - some of the employees have been issued with spare batteries some have been given chargers - but will raise this with client.

Tow Rope - knew something was missing, just couldn't figure out what - Thanks ! :D

The bulk of the fleet are 4x4 with heavy duty batteries specified as standard so a small light inside shoud be ok - likewise a glowstick can be used instead.

Will amend now.

Big Tone, could have put that but I am being paid by the word you know.... :wink: