The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 01:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 02:49 
User

ROAD SAFETY

:listenup:

Learn These By Heart

1. KEEP ON THE PAVEMENT OR FOOTPATH. If not, walk on the right had side of the road to face oncoming traffic.

2. Before you cross the road .. STOP AT THE EDGE OF THE KERB. LOOK RIGHT. LOOK LEFT. LOOK RIGHT AGAIN. If the road is clear, walk wquickly across.

3. ALWAYS USE A PEDESTRIAN CROSSING if there is one.

4. ALWAYS OBEY THE SCHOOL TRAFFIC WARDEN if there is one.

5. When you get off the bus, WAIT UNTIL IT HAS GONE before you cross the road.

6.NEVER play with a ball on the street

7. NEVER run into the road to take car number plates .. :o :shock: OK so I've always been a wet anorak around cars .. but I did NOT run into the road to jot down the cars spotted all the same .. else me Dad would have killed me instead.:shock:

8. NEVER play around a standing vehicle.

:listenup:

REMEMBER - ALERT TODAY - ALIVE TOMORROW

I cannot believe I forgot about these. My sister was going through a lot of old stuff in her loft and came across these old exercise books from her own and her husband's schooldays. As we attended the same primary school .. I also had the same exercise books as did apparently the Great Geared Up One and his siblings. :lol:

The other version is entitled ..

A SAFETY CODE FOR CHILDREN and more or less says the same thing .. only it tells me not to chuck my school hat into the road and not to ride on the handlebars of my bicycle nor to grab hold of moving vehicles.. :?

These exercise books were part of school life in Lancs (when Cumbria was part of Lancs) and Yorks (ALL of Yorkshire) back in the swingin' 60s to early 70s when the Mad Moggie clan .. and husbands/wives/siblings and cousins once or twice removed were all in short trousers/blazers and gymslips and pigtails in the case of the girls in the family :lol:

1. ALWAYS stop before crossing the road... look right.. look left ... look right again and if all clear.. cross quickly.
2. Cross busy roads where there is a police man or cross on a zebra crossing/
3. Face traffic when stepping off the pavement
4. Look out for traffic turning corners
5. Look and listen for warnign signals
6. ALWAYS look before running into the roadway on leaving school :?
7. Wait unitl the bus stops before getting off or on it.
8. If young children are with you, guide them across the road/
9. NEVER run behind or hold on to lorries, carts or other vehicles
10. NEVER throw each other;s caps into the road or push each other into the road :?
11. NEVER ride on the step or handlebar of another's bicycle.

As my sister remarked ..on handing me these forgotten gems .. this one would appear to be directed at BOYS .. :?

But on a serious note .. why are these not on the back of every kids' exercise book.. school diary.. homework signing book .. etc? :scratchchin:

Did any one else of my age group have such important stuff on the back of their arithmetic/English/spelling etc books?

Would these be a good thing to reintroduce and why the hell were they ditched in the first place :banghead:

DOH! I'll enlarge 'em tomorrow. I'm a right numpty when fiddling around here. :(

DOH!.. I've still not got it right...:plumbloco:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Last edited by Mad Moggie on Sat Jan 09, 2010 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 15:32 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

:clap:

Whatever became of these simple forget-me-nots?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 17:23 

Todays modern one would read like this;

1 All motorists are trying to kill pedestrians.
2 all motorists are usually speeding and you should do your best to campaign to get lower speed limits.
3 When you are old enought to drive just remember..."Speed kills"
4 If you walk out in front of a speeding car (and they ALL are), it's the motorist's fault so don't worry.

;-)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 18:43 
User

Steve wrote:
:clap:

Whatever became of these simple forget-me-nots?

Indeed. :yesyes:

I will be meeting my sister on the way down south (if things thaw out - she has found some other gem in her loft apparently - including a very early reference to COAST .. well.. it appeared first of all as COAP - with P meaning PLAN .. but what do we mean by "PLAN".. well :scratchchin: - creating SPACE AND TIME to proact/react of course

Hell .. we knows we are right and it looks to me just like "phonics/artificial phonics" versus "real book method" and "singing times tables to a catchy tune" versus some complicated "table".... in that we always find we end up admitting that our grandparents and parents were probably right in the first place... :banghead: :popcorn: in that their "tried and true traditional common sense actually .. errr... work ... and why we will find that a real live traffic rat saves more lives than any poxy speed camera... despite Greenshrek's claims to the contrary.

PS.. Green - shrekload of - politically "correct"/ submarinated one who has swallowed the ocean of "sandal-wearing eco-blinded doctrine" :wink: I am sure you do realise that I am only playing with you a little and not actually intending insult - but am entitled to an opinion contrary to yours and the stats from each and every hospital and insurance company - all verified and even "peer reviewed" by Oxford University in the case of the hospital stats - do not at all tally with your claims of scam "efficiency at providing road safety" :popcorn:

But back to the original post ... I really cannot understand why .. especially in the days of CHEAP PRINTING.. these rules cannot be placed on the covers of all exercise books or even covers to exercise books.

Yes .. I know kids doodle all over their books.. The front of those books proclaimed our "love" for whoever we had teenage crushes on :shock: ( I never knew my sister had a thing about David Cassidy :hehe: IG's exercise book apparently proclaims undying love for "the Shrimp" :lol: and I seemed to be quite taken by all of Pan's People" and "Hot Gossip" in my "formative years" :shock: .. but all the same .. the rules still served as a constant nagging reminder which - aided by the Green Cross Code Man and Tufty.. .actually worked

Graball ..you cynic... :lol: But sadly many a true word gets said in gest :roll: Unless the teacher is unlucky enough to have Lukas in his or her class :yikes: (That kid is a hard head case.. takes after his mother :bunker:)

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 19:07 
User

I thought this was going to be about rods, poles and perches.

Hello, Ted. :)

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Post subject: Olde road safety wisdoms
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 20:48 
User

Mad Moggie wrote:
Were I more of a 'political young punk', I'd be very tempted to find a way to distribute these to anyone within a five mile locus of Queens Boulevard.

Actually, that's starting to sound like a good idea, period.

It would be amusing to gauge a government body's reaction to things like these, the 'Green Cross Code', SPLINK, etc. resurfacing en masse.

2) Nothing gets hit, except to protect others; see Rule#1
3) The Laws of Physics are invincible and immutable - so-called 'laws' of men are not
4) You are always immediately and ultimately responsible for your safety first, then proximately responsible for everyone's
Do not let other road users' mistakes become yours, nor yours become others
5) The rest, including laws of the land, is thoughtful observation, prescience, etiquette, decorum, and cooperation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 20:54 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I remember some bits of the later one. Something similar was on excercise books in the late 70s early 80s in Staffordshire. What an excellent idea it would be to bring them back, particularly for primary school children so you can catch them young.

I think I scrawled on mine so that the word not or don't was missing from many!

I do believe teenage boys are the group most likely to get run over hence need this kind of thing the most. I'm sure one I had mentioned not playing 'last across the street' or some similar daft game.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 20:58 
User

aH...BUT Dave///

You know US.. :lol: ..

By the way .. Vrenchen really appreciated your kind words and phone call. I do not think we will manage a meet this visit due to nasty weather .. but we will be back sometime in the summer for our hols.. You see. .. we LOVE our home here .. and want to return to it as and when we can.

Arizona? Nice. .Warm.. INTERESTING and a heck of a lot more beautful as a place to live than we originally thought this time last year (which may explain why we were a bit "short tempered" at times as we were expecting twins.. and my wife was "below par" and we also knew we had to make some hard decisions on top of all this too. :roll: It was a major decision.. after all. :popcorn:

But Dave .... I think you are older than us.. but did your kids have such words on the back of their exercies books? I have uploaded photos of what was on mine and my sibling's books and my brother-in-law's school books.

And Dave.. Best wishes to you .. Eileen and your son. I wish you (and ALL who post to this site .. and especially Claire :love: all the very best in life//. sincerely from my heart. :love:

Ted

(Inside these books.. we are all told off for "scruffy handwriting" but appeared to score well on content :lol: .. We all passed 11 plus and other entrance exams to schools like Sedbergh (which I attended and which I enjoyed 100% :lol:) In any case.. bad handwriting is a "prerequisite" for us medics :lol:

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 21:30 
User

To Rush ..mate//./ I strongly concur with you. Hey.. we plan to return to USA from Switzerland end of this month .. if weather permits as we appear to be snowed in at moment :popcorn:

teabelly wrote:
I remember some bits of the later one. Something similar was on excercise books in the late 70s early 80s in Staffordshire. What an excellent idea it would be to bring them back, particularly for primary school children so you can catch them young.

Teabelly .. I do not know your christian name but I thinks you are a lady? :lol: And a buddy/kindred spirit/virtual bosom pal from day one of this forum anyway :bow:

But yep.. I think these should be reintroduced. The books dredged up from Jazz and Dave's loft and now from my own parents' loft seem to show we had these exercise books from "reception (AGE 4-5) to Class 8 (the 11 plus/.common entrance class of 10-11 year olds..)"

We all attended a private prep school from age 7 and moved to Sedbergh and equivalents on passing the entrance exams. BUT.. these schools also provided the same advice on their exercise books and it was sound nagging to most of us.

:lol:

Quote:
I think I scrawled on mine so that the word not or don't was missing from many!

:lol: As said .. we are amazed at what we all thought of as 8-) in them days :shock: I still cannot believe we foudn those pop stars/film stars as cool. I recall timing my Monday's homework on "Alias Smith and Jones" for heavens's sake :bunker:

Just cos it was funny and depicted blokey buddy blokes "on the right side of the law but just a bit on the "naughty side" :lol:

Blimey :shock:

Quote:
I do believe teenage boys are the group most likely to get run over hence need this kind of thing the most. I'm sure one I had mentioned not playing 'last across the street' or some similar daft game.

I think Clarskon had it right .. in the re-run on Dave on SPEED.. and Wildy happens to be right yet again when she claims a true motorist does not need "recreational drugs" because our own bio-chemical system provides us with the hits we need to bounce back from "danger".,. In real terms..it's this natural cocktail as manufactured within us as our self protect system which keeps us safe when we hit the "loud pedal" in all reality :lol:

Our real question then.. HOW do we control some " youthful testerone" gene we iherited from our ancestors who fought dinosaurs? :lol: I mean .. we all have it.. I did.. IG does.. the late Paul did.. even Greenshrek does.. else why else would he join the Navy and submit to a very scary life in a submarine :bow: Greenshred.... I am aware that serving in the Navy and in submarines is not for the faint hearted and you do command some respect for that .. but it's your indoctrinated nonsense as posted by you .. plus your multiple accounts.. which undermine and grind us. i am hoping you see this as genuine and accept us all as genuinely concerned over road safety here :)

. NOTE.. I give him credit when dues .. as I may tease him but wish him to know that I only tease but do not intend to cause him offence all the same and I trust he accepts the funs in the light heart as intended ?? Heck .. we've always bantered with fun in mind and the yanks on the now local board to us .. who call us Limeys have mailed offline to show "welcoming friendship" :lol:

All we can say is BLIMEY :lol:

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 23:58 

That's all well and good but where it all falls down is that unlike today, most school kids in the '60s could actually READ! :wink:

I guess today's equivalent would just have a list of numbers of personal injury compensation lawyers they could ring on their mobiles as they were wheeled into the ambulance.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 00:15 

Quote:
I guess today's equivalent would just have a list of numbers of personal injury compensation lawyers they could ring on their mobiles as they were wheeled into the ambulance.

That's about right. I always marvelled at my ex girlfriends young daughter. She couldn't remember her times tables but if her mother wouldn't let her have her own way, she could always quote the "childline" number....;-)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 01:03 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
graball wrote:
Quote:

That's about right. I always marvelled at my ex girlfriends young daughter. She couldn't remember her times tables but if her mother wouldn't let her have her own way, she could always quote the "childline" number....;-)

Strange that - I have Vodafone family on my mobile -Mrs B +DAUGHTER +Grandaughter .Means free calls for all . But the one that get's used most often is "Granpa - can you give me a lift home " ---and that's nice -to get a call from grandaughter ,(possibly because she's getting a bit close to getting a curfewcall from mum) -but then - she's my little favourite -but then she's a little lady -now 13 - more like a daughter than a grand kid - we're tooooo close ,and I LOVE IT .She's the spitting image of her mum , who's not unlike Mrs B- so her special bloke wil have to pass the stepdad test , and the Granpa test .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 09:31 
Supporter
Supporter

There was no such list on the back of my children's books 10 to 20 years ago. Nor was it needed because they were taught how to comport themselves on the accompanied walk. first to school and later, when they started at big school, to the bus stop. Walking teaches kids about road safety a lot better than does riding in a chelsea tractor or reading a dull list of rules.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 13:34 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

dcbwhaley wrote:
There was no such list on the back of my children's books 10 to 20 years ago. Nor was it needed because they were taught how to comport themselves on the accompanied walk. first to school and later, when they started at big school, to the bus stop. Walking teaches kids about road safety a lot better than does riding in a chelsea tractor or reading a dull list of rules.

Again, what you say is correct, but not really relevant.
Not all children get a lift to school; most of those are unaccompanied/unsupervised.
Better dull forget-me-not lists on educational materials than nothing at all - yes?

Strictly speaking, forget-me-not lists are better than none, regardless of what other supervision/training one already has - yes?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 13:46 

I too walked to school and back four times daily (went home to lunch) although it was about 3/4 mile and I had to cross the busy A442, in the sixties.(did anyone go by car? I can't remember anyone and not everyone had cars then. I used to go on the school bus to one school though)

I remember having things printed on the back of excercise books too but can't remember if it was road safety or just the times tables or both. I certainly don't remember thinking, at the time, "what's all this about, it's pointless"

I think any information available today to remind kids about road safety or any form of safety would be beneficial in these H and S and claim culture times....we need to install to the kids (and some adults) that they should be in control of their own safety where ever possible at all times.

What ever happened to Tufty and the Greencross man? Now we are more likely to see adverts for claims solicitors....;-)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 15:05 
User

Steve wrote:
dcbwhaley wrote:

Again, what you say is correct, but not really relevant.
Not all children get a lift to school; most of those are unaccompanied/unsupervised.
Better dull forget-me-not lists on educational materials than nothing at all - yes?

Strictly speaking, forget-me-not lists are better than none, regardless of what other supervision/training one already has - yes?

Agreed.. and they still need the reminders and the discipline applied all the same.

Our kids are very street-wise/safety conscious sense .. but as they all take after their Mama :yikes: .. I have to "lean" on them and rein 'em in on occasion :hehe: (And that also includes that really wild child I'm married to :bunker: (She only thinks she wears the trousers here :lol: :bunker: )

But seriously ... the constant reminder on the back of the exercise books can form the base of a clever tutor time lesson inthe hands of a seriously competent teacher and UK has the highest numbers of child/teenage pedestrian incidents in which pedestrian negligence is a major prime cause of many an urban low speed incident .. per the statistics and comments made on the truck load of Police Stop/TrafficCops/Police Camera Action/Road Wars films.

Our kids all behave very responsibly - seriously - when they are out and about on foot/horseback/bikes and in cars in the case of the eldest three. :bow: but that does not mean we can afford to be complacent and we always remind them about COAST/being careful out there and . .yes.. I have paced the floor - clock watching :yikes: when Nick has been late home in the past as I know my second son to be a bit feistier in temperament and character than William and Steffi..:hehe: and in the case of a couple of fosters .. initiated a search party in the past .. :yikes:

I agree that the ability to read is not one of the modern day child's strengths ..but the reminders as said can form the basis of tutor time sessions all the same.. and perhaps a good dollop of old fashioned parenting/lessons in good manners/polite manners/general courtesy and a no nonsense approach to discipline would also help matters.

I think in our day - we were perhaps better disciplined and educated .. but then .. we grew up when political correct social workers and health/safety hippies were laughed at and not taken too seriously and when coppers were really like Gene Hunt and Jack Regan :yikes: and criminals? Well..they did lock up burglars once upon a time.. Norman Stanley Fletcher got 5 years :wink:

Now.. Sunday Roast beckons and Wildy has cooked up a feast :bow: in the shape of roast lamb :bounce1: Sitting down together at table (fully laid and complete) does help encourage all the above positives.. :wink:

[size-85] Fly on wall moment into the Wild Mad Moggie Cat household .. :bunker: Sam is up to his usual trick of sniffing everything carefully ... he has the job of laying the table which he does with an almost surgical precision :bow: .. I mean you can measure everything at each table place ... and find it all to be set to a very precise pattern :lol: [/size]

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING