Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 17:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Night Vision Driving
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 15:16 
Site Admin

I have often wondered if there is a system to allow for night vision driving ...
I happened upon this Here
So I assume it is around and that I have somehow missed it being launched or is it only 'abroad'.
I think as an aid to driving it is a good idea, especially with deer and darkly clothed 'under the influence of X' and so on.
I wonder how much an after market system would be too ? :)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Night Vision Driving
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 19:13 

One thing that I'd be interested to know is how they get around depth perception problems or is this designed to 'augment' normal vision. Military night vision has problems with epripheral vision and depth perception and certainley when I served pilots had to undergo training and were rated to fly using nvg's.

Is there a requirement for training / familerisation to use this kit?

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 19:46 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I thought I read somewhere of a HUD version of this where one didn't have to look down (the image is bounced off the windscreen), or even refocus the eyes. Or did I dream that?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 21:35 
Site Admin

That may have been a Top Gear review of a system ... ? perhaps.
I think I can recall something about dials and information being displayed but that may not be what you are thinking about ?
Here
Quote:
On your level.
Head-Up Display in the BMW X6.
An optional feature in the BMW X6, the Head-Up Display presents important information directly in the driver's viewing field. A unit in the dashboard projects the data onto the windscreen as a clear, easy-to-read image, adjusted for ambient light conditions, with a focal point just above the bonnet. The height of the display can even be adjusted so that information is always projected in the driver's optimal field of vision. Information can be read faster, and the driver's attention is never distracted from the road ahead.
Head-Up Display.
Intelligent ergonomics for a superior driving experience - Head-Up Display projects important information directly in your line of sight. The virtual image is beamed onto the windscreen as a clear, easy-to-read image. Key driving information such as speed and navigation instructions can be seen more easily, without you needing to take your eyes from the road ahead.

BMW vehicles with Head-Up Display can be recognised by a small square depression on the dashboard. This contains a projector and a system of mirrors that beams an easy-to-read, high-contrast image onto a translucent film on the windscreen, directly in your line of sight. The image, measuring around 18 x 10 cm, is projected in such a way that it appears to be about two metres away, above the tip of the bonnet, making it particularly comfortable to read.
The sophisticated projector - which uses an individually managed transistor for each pixel - enables you to see the vehicle speed, navigation directions, values from Check Control and the Active Cruise Control system without needing to take your eyes from the road.
This makes it easier to maintain vehicle speed below the legal speed limit, as you always know exactly how fast you are travelling. Using the navigation system, too, becomes significantly easier, as the arrows indicating the recommended direction are immediately visible in your natural line of sight.
Head-Up Display halves the time it takes for eyes to shift focus from road to the instruments and back, dramatically reducing the risk of not seeing the sudden illumination of brake lights of the car ahead, or an unexpected obstacle. Driving at night, too, becomes significantly less fatiguing for the eyes.

Wiki state :
Quote:
General Motors began using head-up displays in 1988[22] with the first color display appearing in 2001 on the Corvette. BMW became the first European manufacturer to offer HUD. The displays are becoming increasingly available in production cars, and usually offer speedometer, tachometer, and navigation system displays. Night vision information is also displayed via HUD on certain General Motors, Honda, Toyota and Lexus vehicles. Other manufactures such as Citroën, Saab, and Nissan currently offer some form of HUD system. Motorcycle helmet HUDs are also commercially available.[23]

Add-on HUD systems also exist, projecting the display onto a glass combiner mounted on the windshield. These systems have been marketed to police agencies for use with in-vehicle computers.
with various links !

General Motors began using head-up displays in 1988[22] with the first color display appearing in 2001 on the Corvette. BMW became the first European manufacturer to offer HUD. The displays are becoming increasingly available in production cars, and usually offer speedometer, tachometer, and navigation system displays. Night vision information is also displayed via HUD on certain General Motors, Honda, Toyota and Lexus vehicles. Other manufactures such as Citroën, Saab, and Nissan currently offer some form of HUD system. Motorcycle helmet HUDs are also commercially available.[23]

Add-on HUD systems also exist, projecting the display onto a glass combiner mounted on the windshield. These systems have been marketed to police agencies for use with in-vehicle computers.
I then found this interesting article from AutoPia Here - GM Makes Your Entire Windshield a Head-Up Display
Read More http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/03/gm ... z0j80XGFSV
Now that has all sorts of info to be displayed.

And a You tube item : here
So yes it looks like there is much development going / gone on !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 21:56 
Site Admin

Also BMW at the Geneva Motor Show 2009here approx 2:30 mins in for their night vision but only on the display not HU.