Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 14:33 
User

Pete317 wrote:
GreenShed wrote:
Well that's all very interesting but why have you not proposed a 150mph speed limit or better still an unlimited scheme. This is a really practical thing you could do as a collective just to see how you get on when you try out your principles on those who matter.

Stop whining, put your balls on the table and get on with it.

:? Have you been at the whacky baccy again?

Not at all.

Why don't you make a formal proposal to have speed limits set or a speed limit system implemented in a way that this site suggests.

Then you would have the answer on whether or not it can be adopted.

This won't be done though would it because you know very well that it would be effectively laughed at....probably.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 14:45 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

GreenShed wrote:
Why don't you make a formal proposal to have speed limits set or a speed limit system implemented in a way that this site suggests.

This won't be done though would it because you know very well that it would be effectively laughed at....probably.

The 85th percentile? :?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 14:48 
User

Steve wrote:
GreenShed wrote:

Cop-out! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 14:52 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

GreenShed wrote:
Steve wrote:

Nope! Manifesto :roll: :headbash:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 15:00 
User

Steve wrote:
GreenShed wrote:
Steve wrote:

Very good. The point of my post was do something about it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 15:15 
Life Member
Life Member

GreenShed wrote:
Not at all.

Then you would have the answer on whether or not it can be adopted.

Then what made you change the subject completely, besides going completely OT?

I said nothing about the setting of speed limits - except perhaps in your fevered impagination

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 15:27 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

GreenShed wrote:
Steve wrote:
GreenShed wrote:
Steve wrote:

Very good. The point of my post was do something about it.

So what exactly was the "cop out" remark for? :headbash:
Why would that "be effectively laughed at" ? :headbash:

:scratchchin:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 17:15 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for suggesting the wording which I should have used in another thread about CSW "witnesses" and the value of their opinions.

"Effectively laughed at" would just about cover it! :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 16:21 
Gold Member
Gold Member

All this nonsense about kids intentionally stepping out in traffic is just another red herring, it's the kids that step out carelessly or negligently that need to be better educated in road sense. Bear in mind that we're not just talking about toddlers here, but schoolchildren up to the age of 16, and potentially minors to 18. I would hazard a guess that 13-18yo non-motorist casualties far outnumber those of younger children.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 17:17 
Life Member
Life Member

I don't believe I was suggesting that kids deliberately step into the traffic, but rather that their behaviour on and around roads is often heedless of the dangers.

Having said that - and as an aside - you do get one or two (older) kids who deliberately and pointedly step into the road ahead of you - daring you to hit them. I know this because I've had first-hand experience of it. :yikes:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 17:33 
Gold Member
Gold Member

My comment wasn't aimed at you Pete, and I too have shared your experience of some little scrotes!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 18:01 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Pete317 wrote:
Having said that - and as an aside - you do get one or two (older) kids who deliberately and pointedly step into the road ahead of you - daring you to hit them. I know this because I've had first-hand experience of it. :yikes:
I've had that happen to me too Pete although TBH I wasn't sure if they were daring for me to hit them or whether they just didn't understand they don't belong there, from the inane look on their faces. Just today I was caught in a school rush, (At 2:30 for some reason :? ), and kids were walking five abreast spilling into the road complete with another aimlessly zigzagging towards me on my side of the road on a cycle.

Now you can call me old-fashioned but I don't remember any kid in my day using the road like that; if you were in the road it was because you had looked what was coming and were in the process of crossing it.

Brake wrote:
We want high fines of no lower than £1,000 plus four penalty points for anyone caught driving above the speed limit
They are so very obviously anti-car their name should be Wheelclamp or We'llclamp instead. I met one of them once and as he yawned I swear I saw butter inside his mouth. :D I think that's why he spoke such drivel. :P

When will they realise that it's the points which really hurts and forces safe drivers off the road and puts families through hardship and suffering! Making the fine heavier is just going to hit the poorer; another tax on those who can least afford it...

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 18:21 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Big Tone wrote:
Pete317 wrote:
I've had that happen to me too Pete although TBH I wasn't sure if they were daring for me to hit them or whether they just didn't understand they don't belong there, from the inane look on their faces. Just today I was caught in a school rush, (At 2:30 for some reason :? ), and kids were walking five abreast spilling into the road complete with another aimlessly zigzagging towards me on my side of the road on a cycle.

I've seen worse.
A few years ago in a precinct type area, a goth who was walking along a pavement, literally simply stepped out into the road without looking, his back to oncoming traffic :o
An oncoming driver (understandably) beeped; the goth responded by lifting his hand and giving the 'bird' - still with his back to that traffic. Incredible!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 20:43 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Steve wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
Pete317 wrote:

I've seen worse.
A few years ago in a precinct type area, a goth who was walking along a pavement, literally simply stepped out into the road without looking, his back to oncoming traffic :o
An oncoming driver (understandably) beeped; the goth responded by lifting his hand and giving the 'bird' - still with his back to that traffic. Incredible!

I often wonder . It's a similar thing to walking through a crowded town centre with groups forcing a way through ,almost seeming not to see you -or so I thought ,till one day we bought a curtain pole .At the sight of the pole ,the surging crowds parted -a la red sea .The ones that amaze me are the mothers with prams trying to cross a road -nowadays the pram gets shoved out first. In our day ,the pram came last .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 22:23 
Gold Member
Gold Member

botach wrote:
...till one day we bought a curtain pole .At the sight of the pole ,the surging crowds parted -a la red sea.
The pedestrian equivalent of a spike in the middle of a steering wheel Botach :D (I think I've got that in 3 times this year :P

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 22:26 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Big Tone wrote:
botach wrote:
...till one day we bought a curtain pole .At the sight of the pole ,the surging crowds parted -a la red sea.
The pedestrian equivalent of a spike in the middle of a steering wheel Botach :D (I think I've got that in 3 times this year :P

Certainly spiked ( or spooked ) the mindless morons :roll: :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 13:15 
New User
New User

dcbwhaley wrote:
Steve wrote:
Those who make such demands towards motorists, while ignoring the alternatives such as education/enforcement of other road user groups, can rightly be labelled as anti-motorist.

Whist it is obviously very pragmatic to teach children road safety in order to preserve their lives on the current motorist dominated roads I can see no moral imperative giving the motorist the right to be the dominant force on the road; and for the motorist to expect others to modify their behaviour to suit his impatient convenience.

Other than the very real reason of the enormous lack of symmetry between the each groups ability to kill the other, why do you think that motorists should usually expect to have priority over pedestrians? Why, for example, should a pedestrian be expected to wait to cross the road until there are no vehicles using it rather than the motorist be expected to stop when a pedestrian wishes to cross the road. Why, for another example, at PeliCon crossings do pedestrians rather than motorists have to press the button and wait?

And this is not an anti-motorist diatribe; these are genuine questions to which there might well be good answers.

I cannot believe this ridiculous argument -I mean really think about what you are saying, you are living na dream world. If the onus is put on someone enclosed in a steel cocoon travelling in general a great deal faster than a pedestrian what do you think will happen? :?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 13:28 
Supporter
Supporter

tik64 wrote:
dcbwhaley wrote:
Steve wrote:
Those who make such demands towards motorists, while ignoring the alternatives such as education/enforcement of other road user groups, can rightly be labelled as anti-motorist.

Whist it is obviously very pragmatic to teach children road safety in order to preserve their lives on the current motorist dominated roads I can see no moral imperative giving the motorist the right to be the dominant force on the road; and for the motorist to expect others to modify their behaviour to suit his impatient convenience.

Other than the very real reason of the enormous lack of symmetry between the each groups ability to kill the other, why do you think that motorists should usually expect to have priority over pedestrians? Why, for example, should a pedestrian be expected to wait to cross the road until there are no vehicles using it rather than the motorist be expected to stop when a pedestrian wishes to cross the road. Why, for another example, at PeliCon crossings do pedestrians rather than motorists have to press the button and wait?

And this is not an anti-motorist diatribe; these are genuine questions to which there might well be good answers.

I cannot believe this ridiculous argument -I mean really think about what you are saying, you are living na dream world. If the onus is put on someone enclosed in a steel cocoon travelling in general a great deal faster than a pedestrian what do you think will happen? :?

The onus for what. And would you address my question - "why do you think that motorists should usually expect to have priority over pedestrians" - seriously rather than dismissing it has ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 13:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

At least drivers have had to undergo a pretty comprehensive test. There is no licence or exams for pedestrians and, as such, they are at liberty to act how they want with impunity. (And often to their cost).

This being the case, if the roads and transport system are not to turn into chaos or anarchy, pedestrians have to follow some order - as do cars. Now we can argue why it seemingly favours the driver but someone has to make a decision about who and what takes priority, where and when, and create order in a society reliant on good mobility. That's just how it is and with good reason!

And so it came to pass, generally speaking, that the pavements were built for pedestrians and the roads were built for cars - and never the twain should meet.

Is this a problem or can someone think of a better system? :?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 13:49 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well tik44, I imagine that you haven't been around here long enough to realise that DCB is excellent at trying to provoke us by advancing seemingly reasonable but actually specious points. Best let him sleep.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next