Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 13:59 

Perhaps a little off topic, maybe not. A landrover with 4 young people went off the road at a "fairly"sharp bend near where I used to live for about 25 years the other night. The road used to be a 70MPH limit (NSL), it's been a 40MPH for probably the last 20 years. In the years that I lived there and the years I've been up that road (probably monthly if not daily for the last 35 years), I've never seen an accident there (even in the snow). So obviously the Brakites are going to be screaming out for a lower limit on the road now, even though it was safe enough at 70MPH.

Will they take into account that either the guy was exceeding the existing limit anyway or was too dumb or drunk to negotiate a bend that countless thousands have done safely throughout time?....I somehow doubt it.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 14:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

[Amusing opposite to DCB Mode]

How about this for a point of discussion.

The order of precedence on the road should be based on ability to stop. The faster you can stop, the lower your precedence.

- Pedestrians can stop almost instantaneously so they are at the bottom.
- Cyclists can stop pretty fast, so they should have precedence over walkers.
- Cars next. They need a reasonable distance to stop.
- Trucks are at the top.

Giving way to to other road users in this order should reduce injuries as everyone would know their rightful place. You could even introduce automatic liability on this basis so that, for example, a pedestrian in collision with a cyclist would automatically be ruled "at fault".

[\DCB Mode] :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 15:17 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Maybe a more nautical system would work.

The International Regulations for the Prevention of Collisions at Sea], or for short (IRPCS).

"The general rule is that less maneuverable craft have priority over a more maneuverable craft".

We're all just different sorts of "craft" aren't we..

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.