Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 15:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

You may remember me going on about this dangerous junction a while ago and Southampton area locals will know where this is located.

There have been a lot of fatals here and the first response was to put in cameras and do other "calming" measures. The fatalities continued because, surprise, surprise, speed is not the cause of the accidents - it's poor visiblity at a junction on a brow/dip.

The latest scheme is to put in a roundabout which involves compulsorily purchasing someone's garden on the grounds that this will "permanently slow traffic". I just don't understand why the people who decide these road designs can't see that TRAFFIC LIGHTS should have been installed in the first place. :evil: :evil:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 16:57 
Life Member
Life Member

OR a bypass of that whole patch of the A36 from about the Romsey roundabout to about where the A27 comes in.

A man can dream....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 17:11 
User

that would be the last junction before the roundabout at Ower?

where there was a fatal accident AFTER the scameras were in! truck was tootling along within the speed limit, some old couple came up to the junction, hesitated and pulled out right in front ot the truck. both killed! i think that was last summer

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 18:19 
Gold Member
Gold Member

You have both identified the spot correctly! This is one of the most dangerous junctions in the area. A full bypass would be good but I can't see anyone bearing the enormous cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 14:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have ressurected this topic because it has been decided to build a roundabout at this junction (probably in 2008). Just recently, yet another person was killed here just near the Speed Cameras.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... ne=4311992

This does not really give you a clear idea of the problem here.

They had a big study done and the roundabout option was selected even though this requires major works and compulsory purchase of gardens/farmland. This will probably improve safety by doing away with the root cause of the problem which is bad visibility due to dips/brows.

I just cannot understand why they don't take out the cameras and install traffic lights at this dangerous junction RIGHT NOW. Apart from the rare chance of people going straight through red lights, this should cure the safety problem.

However, just up the road at Plaitford, a set of traffic lights HAS been installed to allow pub customers to cross the A36 from the pub car park to the hostellry itself. Unfortunately, planners don't seem to understand human nature and the lights have been installed a few yards down the road from the pub and car park (which are directly opposite each other). This, of course, means that nobody will use the crossing and just run straight across the road like they did before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 15:01 
Gold Member
Gold Member

A very short distance up the road, is the Canada Common roundabout - why not just block off Whinwhistle road and make everyone use the existing roundabout. Just a short detour through Wellow.

I know many do that anyway in order to stay alive.

They could block off the road tomorrow!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 15:19 
Life Member
Life Member

Windwistle road could be no right turn tomorrow from the a36 true, but the turning for the bramshaw common simply needs a deceleration lane (Which could be built by putting the ditch in a pipe and laying tarmac over it?) and a wider belmouth moving the cattle grid into the forest about 20-50m.

A roundabout would mean more land and would meet with more resistance from the people as it is SSSI, new forest verders, national park? And remember the A36 is a trunk road.

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 18:19 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I know it is a long time since this thread has been live but today I saw another dreadful accident at the Whinwhistle Road junction. Ambulances and police all over the place.

Why the hell don't they take out the (now defunct?) cameras and put in traffic lights NOW. It's not speed that's the problem!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 22:50 
User

I cannot see that a roundabout is going to work for traffic coming out of Whinwistle Road as the main bulk of traffic on the A36. Roundabout only work when there is similar volumes of traffic on both roads. I would agree traffic lights would be the correct solution. It seems strange seeing they put traffic lights in places that don't need them, e.g. M27 west bound junction with M271, which worked perfectly alright previously and now creates dangerous jams back onto the M27 when traffic is heavy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:13 
User

malcolmw wrote:
Why the hell don't they take out the (now defunct?) cameras and put in traffic lights NOW. It's not speed that's the problem!

Because a surprising number of people still think that speed is ALWAYS the problem no matter what the evidence and they couldn't care less who gets hurt in order to support that assumption. Oh yes, and by putting up a camera they can be seen to be doing something and still blame "speeding" drivers for the lack of change in the carnage.

Near me there was a dangerous entry/exit from a filling station. Problem was the bushes growing at the side of the road limiting visibility for people leaving the filling station, and approaching the filling station from one direction. You could'nt see approaching traffic from the exit and approaching drivers could'nt see vehicles at the exit until very late. .... I always left that filling station from the other exit which took you to a t junction a bit futher down the road with better visibility. One man could have sorted the whole problem in 5 minutes with a chain saw .... but no ... they removed the bushes AND installed a speed camera. The filling station is now closed and has been for years now ... but the (always pointless) camera is still there.