Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New school sign
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 16:28 
Gold Member
Gold Member

You could have knocked me over with a feather today! You know how I bang on about the :20: outside schools which could theoretically be enforced 24/7?

I saw this today for the first time :o

I bet this is old news but it's a first for me. Could it be someone is listening? Surely not?

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: New school sign
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 17:32 

Don't hold your breath, tone, the lights are probably on 24/7 ....;-)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 19:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

graball wrote:
Don't hold your breath, tone, the lights are probably on 24/7 ....;-)
Or the key can be a hair pin or Lolly stick. :doh:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 01:03 
Site Admin

They have been around for some time, and are widely about, so I am surprised that you have only just seen one .. but hey it is no matter :)

They are controlled by the Council and times agreed with the school as to when they operate ...
Hard to easily alter once agreed. I would rather see the school take a joint agreement with the Council for the operation, so that it is never on or off, when it needs to be.

As long as they operate when a school genuinely needs them, it can help greater unawareness of school activities. It is still no substitute for good motoring behaviours of course, but I am sure that it helps alert motorists to the environmental dangers, as well as remind them about driving/biking.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 08:56 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
They have been around for some time, and are widely about, so I am surprised that you have only just seen one .. but hey it is no matter :)
Oh, ok. I haven’t ever seen one around Birmingham, just the blanket dumb permanent variety. The ones I saw yesterday are in Tamworth, by Wotton Bassett, and they all looked like new so I thought it may have been something recently introduced, as a product.

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Hard to easily alter once agreed. I would rather see the school take a joint agreement with the Council for the operation, so that it is never on or off, when it needs to be.
That was my first thought too.

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
As long as they operate when a school genuinely needs them, it can help greater unawareness of school activities. It is still no substitute for good motoring behaviours of course, but I am sure that it helps alert motorists to the environmental dangers, as well as remind them about driving/biking.
Yes, I didn’t see it as a bad thing and certainly better than its predecessor. At least when I was there it was flashing because there was school children around but as you say it’s still no substitute for good motoring behaviours.

I must be going blind, I travel all over the place too: Stoke, Coventry, Hereford - aint never seen one Image Well it looks like I’m behind the times, or rather Birmingham City Council are.. :) I think maybe I've missed them because they haven't been flashing. I do tend to ignore limits, preferring instead to look at what I am supposed to be looking at. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:02 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
They are controlled by the Council and times agreed with the school as to when they operate ...

As alluded to earlier in the thread, most that I've come across are operated by the lollipop man/woman/person.. sorry, crossing patrol... at start & end of their shifts.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 13:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ed_m wrote:
As alluded to earlier in the thread, most that I've come across are operated by the lollipop man/woman/person.. sorry, crossing patrol... at start & end of their shifts.
That's what it's like by me too Ed; just the two lights without the speed sign or the speed sign on its own. So I can only guess it must be a very regional thing.

I wonder if the solar panels at the top would be useful in my house? :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 23:45 
Site Admin

Or I suppose I just happen to go through the areas that happen to have them ? I guess that that is possible ! :)
I wasn't referring to the l/pop operated one's.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 08:35 
Its good that you're cautious with the traffic rules when you drive. Don't hold your breath when you see that. probably, its just 24/7 that makes drivers slow down on that place.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 08:59 
Gold Member
Gold Member

andreaB wrote:
..its just 24/7 that makes drivers slow down on that place.
If I understand you correctly, I disagree Andrea. If you have something needlessly on 24/7 people will see it as unrepresentative of the situation and start to distrust it therefore ignore it. Just like the blanket :20: signs. No-one does 20mph outside a school at all hours, and with good reason.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 00:40 
Site Admin

andreaB is a spam and has therefor been deleted.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 16:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Posted on this years ago - seem to remember I spotted this in the Glasgow area circa 2008/9 .
Thought it was a good idea - far better than the warden controlled lights which seem to get left on ,and as a result ignored.