Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 17:46 
User

Hello.

I think that retests of any kind is pointless. I also think it is unfair to point the finger at elderly people. In my experience, anyone and everyone can be a useless driver.

Retests won't necessarily make people a better driver, they may weed out of few Maureen whats-her-name.

I think we should look at this in another way,

"If Mohammed will not go to the mountain, the mountain must come to Mohammed." (kind of ish)

By this I mean lets look at ways of engaging people into thinking about their driver behaviour and not feeling defensive about it by making them have a test etc.

This is also about making people responsible for themselves and others, rather than relying on some kind of nanny state which not many people want anyway!

* Driver behaviour can change positively by other people's good examples on the road. (yes, there will always be exceptions).

* Many of us have access to the internet. The DVLA or whoever could send a super interactive CD (or create a national website) aimed at vehicle owners. It could be multiple choice, games, stories (examples of poor driving, perhaps video clips), questionnaires, advice, forums etc. It could be really interesting and educational in a FUN way.

* Drivers can be better encouraged to advance their motoring skills. (subsidies, LA involvement, insurance companies, breakdown services)

* Pretend it is your friend who is driving in front of you.

* Media campaign (e.g. newspaper) for something like...5 best ways to drive or courtesy on the roads...the top 10 annoyances with drivers / how to improve that...

This is all about one thing: DRIVER BEHAVIOUR.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 17:57 
Site Admin

Yeah. Most excellent. I agree with everything except this choice of words:

Winston Smith wrote:

I think it's about creating and enhancing the safety culture that in turn influences and enhances driver behaviour.

The chain should be:

Policy > safety culture > improved driver behaviour > fewer crashes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 18:07 
User

SafeSpeed wrote:
Yeah. Most excellent. I agree with everything except this choice of words:

Winston Smith wrote:

I think it's about creating and enhancing the safety culture that in turn influences and enhances driver behaviour.

The chain should be:

Policy > safety culture > improved driver behaviour > fewer crashes.

Ok, see your point. But can it also be:

driver behaviour --> improved safety culture (maintain) --> ongoing policy

I understand that you're starting with the grass roots - policy, but driver behaviour can affect policy and safety....perhaps we're saying the same thing?? Perhaps it should be a circular diagram with nice pretty arrows :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 23:56 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Now whilst we're all argueing over the small print - lets just stop and think for a moment or two - first of all - could todays driver have coped with the problems encountered a few years ago. Tyres - all cross ply - combined with archaic suspension meant that cornering on badly cambered roads was an art.Heaters - something we all take for granted a luxury item.In winter - salt on roads - I used to carry my own spade , plus a few bags ,a bit or two of carpet and some rope.Roads - repaired when and if needed.Motorways - something i learned as necessity to drive on - must have got it right - i did over 50k in 3 years in the 60s, with no accidents and no pulls)
Driver behaviour-- what it should be today - us against the establishment - Nowadays - the establishment has us where it wants us - fighting with each other- this post is a prize example- nit picking over where the bits should go , is driver behaviour more important than "does he need a crap,and has a toilet been provided"In olden days he carried toilet roll ( at least i did in northern scotland,and found a bush or went under a bridge)

What i'm trying to say is that we should be united (even with differences) to stop eredacation of drivers rights .