Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 23:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 22:35 
New User
New User

I've been over to the Sates a few times now and I've always wondered why we don't introduce one of their schemes in the UK.
During school hours a flashing speed sign indicates drivers of the maximum speed which I think is 15 MPH, If you get caught over this limit a hefty fine is given (never seen any speed cameras in the states).
The system works very well driver DO slow down near schools. As a comedy scheme though I like 4 way junctions the best.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 22:43 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I thought there were areas like that on the road, or simalar.
- I have seen Flashing lights on the warning signs around schools, I think it tends to be outside primary schools, and I do not see a change in speed limits. - not sure :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 22:47 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Part-time 20 zones for schools are fairly common in Derbyshire, see this one in Glossop:

There's even one on the A6 at New Mills Newtown.

Far too many other authorities go for 24/7 school zones, though :(

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 22:50 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That were I must have seen it then, I have family in chesterfield :lol:
- In birmingham we have flashing lights but no change in limit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 22:55 
User

Temporary speed limit signs are appearing near some schools in New Zealand with a 40kph limit, they always seem to be treated with respect. One problem with the US version is that unscrupulous towns leave them flashing all the time, so non locals get hit with fines for speeding at 3 in the morning.

The less said about 4 way stops the better, they rank at the top of the list of daft road rules together with the unique New Zealand "give way to the right rule"....when turning left (at say a set of traffic lights) you have to give way to cars coming towards you wanting to turn right into the same road. And yes we do drive on the left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 22:55 
New User
New User

Ah looks like they have done it in some areas then. The US system has been in place for years now. I guess if it was going to make money, we would have it everywhere by now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 09:04 

howiedean wrote:
Ah looks like they have done it in some areas then. The US system has been in place for years now. I guess if it was going to make money, we would have it everywhere by now.

In the US it is mandatory, in the UK they are advisory. Also in the US they have flashing lights to highlight the times it is in effect. We still have some way to go....but it is progress. At least we don't have the 20 limit 24/7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:16 
User

Gizmo wrote:
At least we don't have the 20 limit 24/7

sure we do... i can think of at least 3 stretches of full time 20mph limits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 13:01 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've always thought these are a good idea after seeing them in Oz some years ago, but there is a risk that local authorities can settle for this over a more effective solution. I was recently back in Oz and saw a reduced limit school zone across a very wide (3 lane dual carriageway I think) road. I can't help thinking that a footbridge would have been much better in that case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 13:13 

ed_m wrote:
Gizmo wrote:
At least we don't have the 20 limit 24/7

sure we do... i can think of at least 3 stretches of full time 20mph limits.

I know...what I meant was there are more school zone signs being used rather than the progression towards 20 mph everywhere. I have a village near me that is a 20 with MONSTER spead humps. I hope they are very happy there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 00:12 

Gatsobait wrote:
I've always thought these are a good idea after seeing them in Oz some years ago, but there is a risk that local authorities can settle for this over a more effective solution. I was recently back in Oz and saw a reduced limit school zone across a very wide (3 lane dual carriageway I think) road. I can't help thinking that a footbridge would have been much better in that case.

It is quite common in Victoria to have reduced speed limits outside schools on major arterial roads, it really helps with the peak crush.

Unfortunately lots of schools located on feeder roads now have permanent 40kph zones.

It is getting out of control to the point where I am tending to take no notice anymore. The only thing that these limits do for me now is to cause me to be a little more observant, especially when the sides of the road are close to the footpaths and vision is poor. In those circumstances I am probably doing less than 40kph anyway but when the vision is good and there are no kids about, stuff the limit, particulary late at night.

Yes I'm a hoon, but only on the track!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 07:21 
User

Gizmo wrote:
I have a village near me that is a 20 with MONSTER spead humps.

We have speed humps outside the schools where we live.

They are not actually big enough to even warrant slowing down at all, however they have the desired effect as they look a lot bigger than they are.
It's a shame that the local council has felt the need to install traffic calming methods outside of a school, simple common sense should tell people that extra care is required and they should slow down automatically without being "forced" to do so.

On the plus side, our local council has not installed speed humps or scamera's anywhere else in the borough, so (for once) I am fully in agreement with the speed humps being where they are if that is the only way to make people slow down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 08:52 
Gold Member
Gold Member

M3RBMW wrote:
It is quite common in Victoria to have reduced speed limits outside schools on major arterial roads, it really helps with the peak crush.

Unfortunately lots of schools located on feeder roads now have permanent 40kph zones.

It is getting out of control to the point where I am tending to take no notice anymore.

Just goes to show that they can still balls up a perfectly sensible idea with bad execution, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 07:47 
Suspended
Suspended

Location: Ignoring the mental pygmies (and there are a lot of them here)

Last edited by FJSRiDER on Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:23, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 21:51 
New User
New User

FJSRiDER wrote:
howiedean wrote:
I've been over to the Sates a few times now and I've always wondered why we don't introduce one of their schemes in the UK.
During school hours a flashing speed sign indicates drivers of the maximum speed which I think is 15 MPH, If you get caught over this limit a hefty fine is given (never seen any speed cameras in the states).
The system works very well driver DO slow down near schools.

What are the figures for numbers of KSI at 'schools' currently?

Why do you think that putting more expensive to install and maintain signs up make any difference? :roll:

I have no figures however you only have to look how fast some people travel in built up areas around my area to have a concern about it.
The crossing lady at a meeting for my son's first school asked us to slow down as there had been a few near misses :( I hate speed cameras as in general they do appear to be money earners.
I think it would be a step in the right direction and be a positve model for the kids as well :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 22:15 
Suspended
Suspended

Last edited by FJSRiDER on Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:19, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 23:22 
User

FJSRiDER wrote:
howiedean wrote:
I have no figures however you only have to look how fast some people travel in built up areas around my area to have a concern about it.

What? Sounds like an knee-jerk 'Must do something about it' to me.

Are children actually being mown down outside school gates?

No.

Kids do not rush out of shcool and straight across the road. Most schools are tucked down side streets as well.

Should be a warning sign at least one mile either side of school vicinity with warnings throughout the "danger" zone in peak chuck out times. These kids can lark around at any one point within this zone. I'd prefer a decent school bus system (a cheap one - not one which costs me £400 per child per year - and I should get a discount for bulk breeding too! :twisted: )

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 22:12 
New User
New User

Mad Moggie wrote:
FJSRiDER wrote:
howiedean wrote:

What? Sounds like an knee-jerk 'Must do something about it' to me.

Are children actually being mown down outside school gates?

No.

Kids do not rush out of shcool and straight across the road. Most schools are tucked down side streets as well.

Should be a warning sign at least one mile either side of school vicinity with warnings throughout the "danger" zone in peak chuck out times. These kids can lark around at any one point within this zone. I'd prefer a decent school bus system (a cheap one - not one which costs me £400 per child per year - and I should get a discount for bulk breeding too! :twisted: )

Perhaps you have a good point. Again in the States the yellow school buses are everywhere although I don't know if their peak time school run is any worse or better than ours. There are too many cars parked up outside schools though.
FJSRiDER you might be right :hissyfit: I'm only throwing ideas in to the ring.

As I've said previously I don't like :camera: all I want is people to take care at school kicking out time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 08:33 
Suspended
Suspended

Last edited by FJSRiDER on Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:19, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 16:55 

So how about the 20mph speed limit during the times the lights are flashing (when there are school children around). Also make the humps retractable so at other times drivers can do 30mph without the bumps.