The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 20:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:25 
Banned
Banned

adam.L wrote:
Basingwerk, sir, if I perform a couple of inept handstands in front of your car as you go about your business and you then mow me down, are you admitting fault? If so where do you live? You see I'd like a new car and a bigger bike and it would be nice to buy my own house so as I know it will be your fault before I start I can feel a hefty law suit comming on.

Yes! I'll try to give you survivable injuries, but ones serious enough to warrant serious compo. I suggest something cosmetic – perhaps you’d like a severe facial injury? You could lock yourself away in your own house, and nobody would need to see you with your bike helmet on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:34 
Banned
Banned

Pete317 wrote:
Oh, by the way, in maritime law small boats have to give way to big ships, because it's recognised that, even though a big ship will make matchwood out of a small boat, the big ship takes a hell of a lot longer to stop than a small boat - and also needs a lot more space to manoeuvre.

That explains why people buy those gas-guzzling 4x4s that take hell of a lot longer to stop than a normal car and needs a lot more space to manoeuvre - they want people to think they are driving an oil tanker!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 15:43 
Life Member
Life Member

basingwerk wrote:
That explains why people buy those gas-guzzling 4x4s that take hell of a lot longer to stop than a normal car and needs a lot more space to manoeuvre - they want people to think they are driving an oil tanker!

I suspect that your posting is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but if not, is this just something you sucked out of your thumb or do you have supporting evidence?

Didn't answer the main issue though, I see.

Cheers
Peter

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 00:42 
User

Was going to put this on thread on its own - but it's linked to this thread.

"Manchester Evening News" reported this story;

"DEATH DRIVER CLEARED" (Neil Snowdon reports0

"A TEENAGE driver will not be prosecuted over an accidnet in which a 15 year old pedestrian died, and inquest was told.

Schoolboy Scott A died after he collided with a Vx Corsa as he crossed Broadway, Moston with a friend in May 2004.

An inquest at Manchester Coroners Court yesterday heard how Scott had dies of multiple injuries less than 40 minuites after the collison just 100 yards from his home.

The inquest heard that the CPS had decided not to proceed with a prosecution for careless driving against the driver who was 18 at the time.

(It seems the driver was driving at the prescriibed speed limit....per last May's initial "MEN" report. :scratchchin: don;t know speed limit on this road - suspect 30 mph as 100 yards from home implies residential area but could just as easily be 40 mph - perhaps Peter E may know?)

"Recording an accidental death verdict Manchester Coroner Leonard Gorodkin said "Clearly I appreciate it is not 100% clear what actually happened. It seems per the statements read to this inquest that there was a bit of blame on both the dirver and the pedestrian"

Both this article and the original head "Death Driver" in this instance and "Killer Driver "in the first report. Scott was described in the initial report as a "lovely boy with a bright futire" but no consideration as to how the 18 year old student was feeling - and I think I recall reading a bias of blame on the driver at the time - but my memory could be tinged with this being the norm. :roll: The inquest report seems a little more factual and less lurid.

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Profile Send private message