The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 21:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 16:37 
User

Twister wrote:
DeltaF wrote:
What vehicle do you drive btw? Mines actually 4wheel drive so it shouldnt have ocurred to me as dramatically as it did as all wheels are connected full time.
What speed were you doing when you had this problem? From what i remember, i was doing approx 20 ish on the slowdown and as soon as i hit the red stuff i lost the brakes.

Vauxhall Omega (RWD, 4-channel ABS), doing about 35. As my pressure on the brake pedal increased (I tend to brake progressively on, then progressively off, unless there's a clear need to stop ASAP...), I got maybe 2 seconds of pedal judder consistent with an ABS activation, which then ceased as my speed continued to drop.

Other than the pedal judder I wasn't aware of any problems in braking - as Rewolf points out, with a good multi-channel system you don't lose as much braking effort if some wheels are still able to brake without intervention, so given the momentary nature of the activation I wasn't concerned about it being a safety issue. Indeed, until I read your post, the thought that some ABS-equipped vehicles might react poorly to such a road surface hadn't even occurred to me.

Also, I've noticed that some of the high-grip coatings (moreso the beige coloured stuff than the red stuff) around here seem to be wearing off rather rapidly, leaving patches of fairly smooth looking tarmac underneath. I wonder if "false" ABS activations could also be caused by varying grip levels as one or more wheels pass over these worn patches?

Youve hit the nail on the head with the last paragraph precisely!
Varying levels of grip interspersed with no grip as the tyre isnt even in contact with the ground.

I have a wee hypothesis.
I reckon that at certain speeds, dependent on car size/weight that a situation could occur with these markings that can completely defeat the ABS system on a car.
I believe that when the car is at just the right speed, and the markings are just the right (or plainly wrong) distance apart that a harmonic/co-incidal type effect could occur that tricks the ABS into completely removing braking action.
The same kind of effects with ABS on ice can be observed as the ABS continually relieves pedal pressures in an attempt to slow the car with unlocked wheels. The result of braking on ice is just what we would expect then, a very long stopping distance compared to a dry road.
But, on a dry road, thats the last thing we need as grip is there in shedloads.
But the ABS system dosent know that, it only sees rotational differences between wheels as they rotate and change from ridge to ridge on these "safety" speed bars and "safety" red tarcrap.

I think its entirely feasible that such an effect could be observed and im pretty dammed sure ive encountered it.

Now to convince the authorities of their lack of wisdom huh?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 17:19 

My local authority has had the wisdom to put down 6ft wide strips of red stuff for about 100m coming up to a 30mph zone. Why I'm not sure. The problem is it's in a 60mph zone going down a steep gradient with a 90 degree right at the bottom. You therefore have cars braking quite hard to slow down for the turn with different amounts of grip kicking in every few yards. How this makes anything safer eludes me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 20:03 
Gold Member
Gold Member

DeltaF wrote:

You obviously havent read what i originally posted. Either that, or you wish to start an argument....nil desperandum, i can accomodate both scenarios equally.

The ABS kicks in when braking on SPEED BARS and badly laid RED TARMAC, ie when its laid by hand with ridges.

I've read and understood your post. What I don't understand is why your abs is even activating. I've been over these bars braking hard, braking soft and never had it happen.
If you're using "normal" braking force then is it possibly a tyre/shock problem?
I've no other suggestions but if it were me the car would be going straight to a dealer for a once-over.

Quote:
Yes, my driving most likely could be improved in some way, but ill bet yours also could.

yes mine most certainly can, that's why I do at least one advanced course each year as well as several track days (ok, they're mainly for fun but it's good to know how the car handles on the limit).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 20:34 
User

johnsher wrote:
DeltaF wrote:

You obviously havent read what i originally posted. Either that, or you wish to start an argument....nil desperandum, i can accomodate both scenarios equally.

The ABS kicks in when braking on SPEED BARS and badly laid RED TARMAC, ie when its laid by hand with ridges.

I've read and understood your post. What I don't understand is why your abs is even activating. I've been over these bars braking hard, braking soft and never had it happen.
If you're using "normal" braking force then is it possibly a tyre/shock problem?
I've no other suggestions but if it were me the car would be going straight to a dealer for a once-over.

Quote:
Yes, my driving most likely could be improved in some way, but ill bet yours also could.

yes mine most certainly can, that's why I do at least one advanced course each year as well as several track days (ok, they're mainly for fun but it's good to know how the car handles on the limit).

Deffoo not a shock or tyre problem. Theyve been replaced for bridgestone potenza SO1's all round and the car has persect manners everywhere else.
Front and rear springs and shocks have also been replaced....its one of the first things i did when i bought the car....ride too soft and wallowy etc.

Agree about doing a trackday, its good to know just what it is youve got hold of.
For now though im more than happy to leave the abs off and brake safely without its intervention, it pulls up ok even from very high speeds with no fuss or drama.

Id still be interested to know how widespread this problem is though, it must surely be the cause of some crashes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:59 
User

Twister wrote:
DeltaF wrote:

Also, I've noticed that some of the high-grip coatings (moreso the beige coloured stuff than the red stuff) around here seem to be wearing off rather rapidly, leaving patches of fairly smooth looking tarmac underneath. I wonder if "false" ABS activations could also be caused by varying grip levels as one or more wheels pass over these worn patches?

I wonder what this stuff does for tyre wear!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 17:14 
User

What about those yellow strips that you often see on 70s when approaching a roundabout, and sometimes on a motorway slip road?

They get closer together as you get nearer to the roundabout and are designed to make an idiot think that they are not slowing down as much as they think they are. Given the general poor quality of UK road surfaces this plainly doesn't work.

However, if you actually look at one of these from a distance, it looks like the road is stretching off further into the distance than it actually is, and in my experience this effect catches more people than the intended effect, causing people to travel at a higher speed for much longer than they would have done normally.

They also tend to be on slippy yellow paint, so if we take the first post of this thread as fact then we have a situation where people are tricked into approaching a junction too fast, and then they cack their pants, brake hard and their braking system is tricked into working at reduced efficiency, all while heading towards a roundabout at 70mph.

:oops:

As an aside, I hate councils that use that red grippy stuff as if it were some kind of highlighter pen. Many SC A roads in cheshire have a strip about a foot wide highlighting the centre line in sections where there is no overtaking or only overtaking in one direction.