Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 03:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 01:53 
Site Admin

What simple things should every driver know? These might range from a phrase to add to an advanced driving manual or the Highway Code to the theme for a series of TV adverts.

A few top tips from Safe Speed:

* Learn from your mistakes. http://www.safespeed.org.uk/art.html

* Don't be a tailgate victim. http://www.safespeed.org.uk/tailgate.html

* Beware windscreen pillar obscuration. http://www.smidsy.org.uk

* Never ever stop learning - remember you'll never know everything

* GET FURTHER TRAINING - whatever your skills level

* FORGET: "never brake in a bend" it's absolute nonsense

* Overtaking on dual carrageways and motorways is still overtaking. When safe to pass, pass smartly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:49 
User

Always drive at a speed that allows you to stop in the distance you can see to be clear. This, for me, is the number 1 priority of Roadcraft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 14:09 

Know your car !!!

The armed forces have 'first works' the IAM the 'power' check How many people are driving round with tyres at the wrong pressure, bottle wash empty with filty windows ????

How many accidents have had the condition of the car from tyres to dirty windscreens as a contributary factor ??

In the NZ driving test, they have a basic mechanical section where you are taken out to your car and asked to show the examiner that you know how to check the oil, water, tyre pressure etc. They do not expect you to to be able to change a tyre - some people (old, those with medical conditions etc may not be able to) but they expect you to know what basic mechanical state your car should be in to be driven safely

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 17:16 
Site Admin

cra wrote:
Always drive at a speed that allows you to stop in the distance you can see to be clear. This, for me, is the number 1 priority of Roadcraft.

That's a foundation principle to me, not a "Golden tip or great advice". Of course that's the rule that gives Safe Speed its name, and it is often called "the safe speed rule". It should be extended somewhat from your statement of it and I prefer:

Never drive so fast that you cannot stop comfortably, on your own side of the road, within the distance that you know to be clear.

Another golden tip is:

Never accelerate through a closing gap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 17:30 
User

SafeSpeed wrote:
cra wrote:

That's a foundation principle to me, not a "Golden tip or great advice". Of course that's the rule that gives Safe Speed its name, and it is often called "the safe speed rule". It should be extended somewhat from your statement of it and I prefer:

Never drive so fast that you cannot stop comfortably, on your own side of the road, within the distance that you know to be clear.

Another golden tip is:

Use of the word fast sends the wrong signal. It is not fast or slow but safe that is the priority here.

I prefer the accepted definition by Roadcraft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 18:46 
Site Admin

cra wrote:
SafeSpeed wrote:
cra wrote:

Another golden tip is:

Use of the word fast sends the wrong signal. It is not fast or slow but safe that is the priority here.

I prefer the accepted definition by Roadcraft.

There are about 5 different statements of the concept in the current edition of Roadcraft. None of them mentions "comfortably" and none of them mentions "know" as opposed to "see".

The best place to "store" your safety margin is in the braking distance when setting a safe speed according to the conditions. This is why the Safe Speed version adds the word "comfortably". See:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/background.html and
http://www.safespeed.org.uk/braking.html

You're right about the word "fast". This is the "official" Safe Speed version from the front page of the web site:

"There is ONLY ONE WAY for drivers to set their speed at a safe level:

They must always choose a speed that allows them to stop comfortably, on their own side of the road, within the distance that they know to be clear."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 22:58 
User

To quote that doyen of all things vehicular, Sheriff John Bunnell (retired)...

"Always give yourself an out"

Which I suppose is a grammatically displeasing way of saying you should always consider every possibility. Always expect that green light to turn to red, even if you think you know the sequence. Never assume that the person pulling out of the side road HAS seen you. One which happened to me a few weeks back - having right of way doesn't mean you don't need to stay alert. I was driving across a busy dual carriageway on a green light with a car coming the opposite direction signalling to turn right. Body language of the oncoming car didn't look right (hard to explain), which set alarm bells ringing in my head..."has she seen me?". Off the power, quick scan of the area for possible escape routes, anticipating having to take evasive action. Sure enough, she turned right in front of me. Cue emergency stop with literally inches to spare. I'm convinced that little lift off the power and covering the brake "just in case" prevented a collision.

Always found that making eye contact is useful too, especially if it involves cyclists or motorbikes. Not talking about a Paddington Bear "hard stare", just enough contact to say "I've seen you". Especially useful if you're at a junction waiting to turn left and they've come down the inside intending to go straight on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 23:42 
Site Admin

hornet wrote:
Always found that making eye contact is useful too, especially if it involves cyclists or motorbikes. Not talking about a Paddington Bear "hard stare", just enough contact to say "I've seen you". Especially useful if you're at a junction waiting to turn left and they've come down the inside intending to go straight on.

A strong word of caution about the eye contact thing. It's quite possible - especially from over 15 or 20 feet away - to THINK you have made eye contact when the other chap has not even seen you. He might have been looking at something behind you, just a few degrees to one side or the other, and you risk assuming that it was you.

Act on apparent eye contact at your peril! Always look for positive confirmation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 00:23 
User

Hi all,

here are some things I do when driving; constructive criticism welcome.

(1) Keep your eye on the car in front of the car in front of you, which I think helps to plan your reactions to the car immediately in front therefore causing following traffic to go more smoothly and your journey to be more pleasant.

(2) Use my gears more to control speed rather than perpetual braking as this causes the domino effect, especially in heavy traffic.

(3) Keep your eye as far ahead as possible to plan for all the nasties that lie ahead.

(4) Reverse into every parking space as it's much easier to drive out than reverse out

(5) No indication on a roundabout when going straight through even if that is more than half the roundabout and passing some of the entrances, many people seem to do this all the wrong way round.

Andrew

Post subject: Overtaking
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:35 
New User
New User

I'm not a slow driver but one thing I always do is return back to the left having overtaken someone.

Also when I overtake I do it quickly and precisely so not to slow down other drivers.

If you are worried about being caught speeding whilst overtaking, Don't do it.

DO NOT overtake by crawling past, 2 or 3 mph faster. it is this that causes traffic and reduces room on the road for others.

DO NOT take it upon yourself to slow down the mad fool speeding up behind you... finish your overtaking, pull back in to the left and let the mad fool pass. They are not your problem.

If you're not prepared to perform an overtake quickly and finish it by returning to the left after... don't even bother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:39 
User

Parto f the new driving test involves some basic vehicle knowledge. I was asked on my test to point out the correct tyre pressures, how to check oil level and how to ensure power steering (if fitted) was working correctly. I believe the examiners have a list of about 40 questions they can ask in relation to vehicle safety which can only be a good thing for new drivers at least.
Why not send the police out and pull people at random to have a cursory look over a car, check the visibilty through ALL relevant windows, see that the tyres arent 'sagging' and a quick light check. Dont start issuing enforcement notices on every little issue, but be friendly and point out the safety issues of not doing simple maintenance tasks.
As far as overall driving is concerned i agree with all of the above, but dont just look at the car in front of the car in front, look at the whole string of cars, dont focus attention on 1 or 2 cars. If you can see a car in the distance braking, lift off the power and let a gap appear in front of you. By the time you get to where the first car braked, you should have neutralised a lot of the brake that would have occured. I get to practice this a lot on the A326 between Totton and Fawley and it can and does work, for me at least.
DONT EVER assume that because you cant see brake lights a car isnt slowing slowing down! I engine brake a lot, to the point where i can slow from 50mph to 10mph in about 20 seconds without touching the brake pedal at all. The number of times i watch a car come hurtling up to my back bumper before throwing the anchors out is almost scary.
Saying that makes me think, maybe im one of these people that are causing brake waves by trying to drive smoothly and efficiently?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:56 
Site Admin

Pug205GRD wrote:
DONT EVER assume that because you cant see brake lights a car isnt slowing slowing down! I engine brake a lot, to the point where i can slow from 50mph to 10mph in about 20 seconds without touching the brake pedal at all. The number of times i watch a car come hurtling up to my back bumper before throwing the anchors out is almost scary.
Saying that makes me think, maybe im one of these people that are causing brake waves by trying to drive smoothly and efficiently?

Might I suggest that you are missing out on the chance of using your brake lights as a valuable signal to other road users? I often brush the brake pedal without actually braking (and I know this brings on the brake lights) to send a message to vehicles behind. Is that a golden tip? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 13:02 

SafeSpeed wrote:
Pug205GRD wrote:

Might I suggest that you are missing out on the chance of using your brake lights as a valuable signal to other road users? I often brush the brake pedal without actually braking (and I know this brings on the brake lights) to send a message to vehicles behind. Is that a golden tip? :)

As an aside, it's also bad for brakes not to use them. Modern disk materials like to be used to keep the surface clean and prevent corrosion. Paradoxically, if you engine brake all the time to save the brakes they may well wear out quicker due to surface corrosion ripping the pads up when you do brake.

And in extremis brakes are cheaper than gearboxes!

Golden Tip: Gears to go, brakes to slow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 22:29 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
TIPS FROM AN OLDIE -don't just watch the vehicle in front or the raod in front - keep an eye on the brake lights of thre CARS in front AS WELL - they might see something you can't and be braking for it- by just lifting off the throttle you put yourself at an advantage and not have to brake as hard..
Re the idea about police pulling people over - GREAT IDEA - especially if done by a Traffic Cop, WITH THE SOLE INTENTION OF EDUCATING DRIVERS ON THE HAZARDS OF FAILING TO PERFORM BASIC CHECKS. THATS WHAT I WOULD CALL "POLICING FOR SAFETY" BUT WOULD THIS
(IN THE AGE OF POLICE SHOWING A PROFIT FOR ALL THEIR ACTIONS) BE ALLOWED BY THE MINDLESS MORONS WHO CONTROL THEM?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 06:03 
Site Admin

That reminds me - When you see brake lights ahead, always ask yourself: " Why are they braking?"

This is far more useful if it is carried out consciously. Far too many people react to brake lights ahead unconsciously by braking themselves and miss out on the opportunity to detect and understand the exact hazard at an early stage.

On a motorway an aware driver might see braking as much as half a mile ahead. Now what are you going to do? You don't need to brake yourself for maybe 20 seconds, but you might well be able to slow down early and gradually and reduce the risk of rear end shunts amongst the less aware drivers behind you. And don't forget that some nutter 4 or 5 cars back can still damage your car by shunting hard enough that his energy comes through a series of intervening (and innocent) cars and ends up in your boot!

And remember that it's now legal and recommended to use your hazard lights to warn following drivers of an obstruction ahead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:28 
User

Just to clear up my driving hazards, I work at the other end on the A326 from where I live and along its length are 3 major junctions and 4 roundabouts. This is where I tend to engine brake as I almost never need to stop, just adjust my speed so I can take the roundabout at a 'safe speed'. If there is a numpty up my chuff then I might just feather the brake pedal to let them know.
Mind you, most the time im being tailgated is by big articulated fuel tankers which I can only assume are empty as they are heading towards the refinery on my way to work at least. Ive had them so close i cant see much more than a big black grille in the rear view mirror and I guess they cant see much more than sunroof on my car. If thats the casde then they arent going to see lights anyway they are just reacting to a sunroof getting closer to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 14:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeed wrote:
That reminds me - When you see brake lights ahead, always ask yourself: " Why are they braking?"
Asked myself this on the A303 last week. The answer was a talivan. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 15:07 
Site Admin

I was prompted to remember this lesson by a discussion in another forum:

In about 1980 I was driving down the M11 on a very windy night. I knew it was increasingly difficult to keep the car in a straight line, but I was very happy to blame the wind. I came to that long left hand bend at the south end of the motorway and all hell broke loose, or at least the back end of the car did. I slithered and half spun and wrestled it to the hard shoulder, where I soon discovered that the rear offside tyre was very very hot and very very low on pressure. Fortunately I didn't hit anything.

I learned two lessons:

* If the car is behaving strangly, NEVER assume you know why.

* Check tyre temperatures with your hand every time you stop during a high speed run. You can easily detect the extra heat resulting from a loss of pressure of 5psi and probably 3psi. Twice since then I've found low tyre pressure at an early stage using this technique.

I really like this temperature check for tyres, and I've never seen it in print anywhere. It IS my original idea, but it's simple and it really works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 18:56 
User

People think that if a tyre is at 20PSI then it is only say 8PSI low and it should do but this is not so. It is not a linear relationship between the readable pressure and the look or feel of the tyre, 20PSI looks 'fine' but try driving it, it is the last bit of pressure that really makes the difference. Just remember as well that most bike tyres have higher pressure ratings than car tyre ratings i.e the pressure rating is not an indication of the volume of air as most people blindly think.

My own trick is to press the side wall with the pad of your thumb. Doing this with a correctly inflated tyre will then give you a reference to future thumb checks where you will feel that missing 4 or 5 PSI that is not so obvious from looking at the tyre although it is not a 100% accurate check but then what is?

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 19:34 
User

SafeSpeed wrote:
* If the car is behaving strangely, NEVER assume you know why.

How true - about a month back, coming back home from Telford to Brum down the M6, in the middle of the roadworks (now lifted) at J8, my car, a Laguna estate (sorry, "Sport Tourer", ahem) felt very heavy on the steering. The tyre pressure check read-out on the dash was fine, so the only thing left was the power steering (there is no warning light for this). I wrestled the car home, called the AA in the morning, it was indeed a leak in this subsystem caused by a faulty seal. Simple enough to fix, repaired under guarantee, TFFT. It won't always be the tyres.