Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 03:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 01:18 
User

I sometimes think to myself "what are others thinking about what I'm doing?" when I'm driving, and do they think it is dangerous? Take this one for example, if you are approaching a junction and the road from the right is not blind, in that, you can clearly see it at a glance to be clear and you are turning left then it is safe, I think, to carry on through the junction without a complete stop. More precisely you check the junction is clear of any other waiting traffic in front then you look to the right then go if clear...Why stop if it is clear? As I'm just about to point out is it not as important to check both ways at a junction?

Following on from that I have seen accidents occur where a vehicle in front is ignored by assuming that it will clear the junction and accelerate away while the driver behind is glancing to the right as they are approaching the junction and said car in front has stopped just past the junction..SMIDSY.

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 09:37 
Former Police Officer
Former Police Officer

andys280176 wrote:
I sometimes think to myself "what are others thinking about what I'm doing?" when I'm driving, and do they think it is dangerous? Take this one for example, if you are approaching a junction and the road from the right is not blind, in that, you can clearly see it at a glance to be clear and you are turning left then it is safe, I think, to carry on through the junction without a complete stop. More precisely you check the junction is clear of any other waiting traffic in front then you look to the right then go if clear...Why stop if it is clear? As I'm just about to point out is it not as important to check both ways at a junction?

Following on from that I have seen accidents occur where a vehicle in front is ignored by assuming that it will clear the junction and accelerate away while the driver behind is glancing to the right as they are approaching the junction and said car in front has stopped just past the junction..SMIDSY.

Andrew

I have a friend who spent 9 hours in surgery on Friday because a car did just that, rolled through a stop line having checked that the road to the right was clear. The trouble is my friend was overtaking a Truck on the main carriageway at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 23:25 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Patch, then go a bit slower . The first rule of the road is 'Keep Left'. Don't expect it of others, though! :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 00:23 
Former Police Officer
Former Police Officer

Oscar wrote:
Patch, then go a bit slower . The first rule of the road is 'Keep Left'. Don't expect it of others, though! :o

Funny how you bring speed into it I didnt. I'd be interested as to where my slowing down would help with the circumstances I describe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 09:11 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:- FWIW I can't do left hand bends hugging the left curb as this makes the corner too tight and forces me to drift towards the middle of the road on exit at which point I would have lost all visibilty

Why, going too fast?

We had a case up here where a biker hit a cow. He won his case for compo because the magistrate said it was the farmer's job to keep his cows in! The biker's contention was that the cow shouldn't have been there! What if it had been a person? or a 44 ton truck?
P.S. No mention of driving at a speed in which he could stop safely and on his own side of the road. You probably know the road, we and Traf Pols call it the 'Helmesley TT course', in reality it's the B1257 which used to be a beautiful run out on a summer Sunday until you bikers decided to make it your racetrack!!! :(

And I hate scameras and nonsensical speed limits as much as anyone.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 15:16 
Former Police Officer
Former Police Officer

Oscar wrote:
You probably know the road, we and Traf Pols call it the 'Helmesley TT course', in reality it's the B1257 which used to be a beautiful run out on a summer Sunday until you bikers decided to make it your racetrack!!! :(

And I hate scameras and nonsensical speed limits as much as anyone.....

Aha I see, that would make you one of the NIMBY's from the North York moors would it?

Any way to the point Riding a motorcycle hugging the left curb is exceptionally dangerous when going round left hand bends. The net effect of doing so is to tighten the corner and make it necessary to corner at a speed far lower than a car would there by increasing the danger to Biker and other road users.

By moving right the curve of the corner is widened and visibility is increased. This has nothing to do with speed it is to do with safety.

Your arrogance in assuming that because I ride a bike I am a nutter who races around the country lanes out of control demonstrates that you obviously carry some quite strong prejudicial views. It also indicates that you have never riden a bike and have no understanding of the differences in vision and road positioning that is required to do so.

Oh by the way I am ex police.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 06:41 
Site Admin

Patch wrote:
I have a friend who spent 9 hours in surgery on Friday because a car did just that, rolled through a stop line having checked that the road to the right was clear. The trouble is my friend was overtaking a Truck on the main carriageway at the time.

Sympathy to your friend for his injuries.

Do you think that he has now learned the lesson that it is frequently bloody dangerous to overtake at junctions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 07:41 
Former Police Officer
Former Police Officer

Oh yes I guess he's learnt that lesson.

Silly way to build your knowledge though, personally I prefer to learn via wisdom than experience

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 09:21 

Patch wrote:
Oh yes I guess he's learnt that lesson.

Silly way to build your knowledge though, personally I prefer to learn via wisdom than experience

A flight safety poster that adornes the walls where I work states quite simply...

Learn from your mistakes. Or better still, learn from someone else's.

A blunt message, but could equally be applied to road safety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:-Oh by the way I am ex police

So? I've done about 3 million miles on push-bike, motor-bike, horse and cart, vans, buses and 40 years on tankers (petrol and chemicals), but I still learn something new about driving every day.

FYI, it's not in my back yard, and the bikes are so BAD that my wife won't let us go any where near that road in summer! Shame, that. It used to be a nice day out with the kids...
It's so bad, there are lots of your ex-workmates wasting a lot of their time and our money trying to stop the dickheads killing themselves!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 13:19 
Banned
Banned

Patch wrote:
Oh by the way I am ex police

That is just about as ex as it gets :D