Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 19:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 02:21 
User

In our local paper this week, a bit regarding the frightfull crash in 2002 in which 41 pensioners had a miraculous escape from death.

It appears some coaches continue to ignore the width restriction which was in place BEFORE the crash.
full story here
The coach ended up rolling into somebody's house...

but was NOT speeding.
If speed cameras had been installed on this route, then the safety camera partnership could have claimed an immediate improvement of 41 KSI's on this one stretch of road alone!

Are drivers facing pressure from coach firms to follow these routes, or are the drivers simply lazy and dont wish to travel a few extra miles to complete the long way round? :oops:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 23:28 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Are drivers facing pressure from coach firms to follow these routes, or are the drivers simply lazy and dont wish to travel a few extra miles to complete the long way round? :oops:

I can only speak from the journeys I used to accompany with my dad who was a coach driver, but he was under very little pressure from his company. They were very easy going and gave him free choice over routes and stop offs etc. They even let him choose the destination on the Mystery Tour runs, providing he didn't choose St. Bees because apparently an old dear complained she's been twice there on a Mystery Tour!

I'm sure not all companies are the same, but I can't see what pressure the drivers can be under when they are just taking excursions out. Maybe scheduled services are different, but the majority of journeys are rarely time-critical from the customers point of view.

Profile Send private message