It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 17:07 
Suspended
Suspended

PeterE wrote:
bmwk12 wrote:
1, Include the Motorway as part of the test.

As motorways are, relatively speaking, our safest roads, that would overall make little difference. Also a bit of a bugger if you live in Stornoway.

Nothing safe about our motorways!!

Quote:
2, Prosecute every driver that causes an accident, no matter how minor.

Yes, that would deter all those people who deliberately set out to cause accidents.

In my view one of the most effective ways of improving safety would be to recognise that punishing people who make mistakes is not the best way of doing it. If we had taken the view that the main cause of air and rail accidents was reckless pilots and train drivers, we would have vastly more air and rail casualties. That is not to say people shouldn't be punished for reckless behaviour - but the deterrent effect is very weak as people do not deliberately cause crashes.

Quote:
Should a pilot make a mistake and crash, they are dragged across the coles for that error, they are not accepted for making such an error.

Car drivers should be no differant, a drivers error causes death, as simply as that.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:19 

bmwk12 wrote:
2, Prosecute every driver that causes an accident, no matter how minor.

Sorry I have to disagree. 3 points on my license and a fine if I touch someone's bumper while parking in a tight space?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:38 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

bmwk12 wrote:
PeterE wrote:
In my view one of the most effective ways of improving safety would be to recognise that punishing people who make mistakes is not the best way of doing it. If we had taken the view that the main cause of air and rail accidents was reckless pilots and train drivers, we would have vastly more air and rail casualties. That is not to say people shouldn't be punished for reckless behaviour - but the deterrent effect is very weak as people do not deliberately cause crashes.

Should a pilot make a mistake and crash, they are dragged across the coles for that error, they are not accepted for making such an error.

Car drivers should be no differant, a drivers error causes death, as simply as that.

I think you're missing the point there. Air accident investigation recognises that "cause" and "blame" are not the same thing. Yes, if a pilot has been foolhardy and reckless, he will be punished, but the investigation considers what can be done to improve the "system" so that such an error of judgment cannot be made in the future, or if it is, the possibility of it causing an accident is minimised.

Originally, motorways had no central crash barriers, and there were lots of crossover accidents. Which would be more effective for reducing these accidents:

(a) punishing drivers severely who cause crossover accidents, or
(b) installing central crash barriers?

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed